Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 AM

61 posts, read 113,778 times

Advertisements

I guess it can be hard to tell them apart. There are subgroups for sure, so it definitely can be difficult to pin a person down. However, I used to walk by that Anvil bar a lot - seemed a mix of ''yuppy'' & "hipster"; I would never step foot in that place. You'd probably never see a bar like that in Montrose back in the day.
I'm not a native Houstonian, but my friends have told me stories of the Montrose of yesteryear; it seems that area was a lot more bohemian/zany/libertine back then.
When I think of the modern "hipster" I think of someone trying to be unique/avant-garde/broad-minded, but they're actually more mainstream/status quo/snobby than they like to think.

Last edited by King Joey; 07-30-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,023,439 times
Quote:
When I think of "hipster" I think of someone trying to be unique/avant-garde, but they're actually more mainstream/status quo than they like to think.
That's a yipster (a yuppie hipster) which can be confused with cool nerds, geek chic types. The kind that are a bit more educated than your average hipster, usually in something tech related and they make slightly more money but love the avant garde scene.

A hipster a real deal hipster would probably rather just live in Austin than in Houston. But you would probably see them more at the Poison Girl in Lower Westhiemer. They're a bit grungier, are more into drugs, and tend to be lower income. They earn just a slightly higher salary than your average migrant worker but you'd never know because they mask their poverty in stylish gear and ride cool vintage bikes. The lower end apartments in the museum district are where a lot of them live. Many share bungalows in Montrose too.

A lot of people have a hard time reading the subtle differences between the two but I was around in Austin when the hipster scene emerged from the ashes of the grunge scene, dumpster diving and all. Then it became mainstream and you have these cool nerds, boho chic, and yuppie types taking over the overall scene.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM

1,011 posts, read 978,155 times
Am I a hipster-doofus? Is it the way someone dresses that signifies this? If I don black plastic frame glasses and converse am I one? Surely, you can't tell one's personal/professional traits by their mere appearance? Like the 30K millionaires, how can you tell?

Last edited by 3shipguy; 07-30-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Am I a hipster-doofus? Is it the way someone dresses that signifies this? If I don black plastic frame glasses and converse am I one? Surely, you can't tell one's personal/professional traits by their mere appearance? Like the 30K millioinaries, how can you tell?
Boho chic is like Russell Brand, expensive designer bohemian wear.

Cool Nerd, Geek Chic would be the Apatow crew; Seth Rogen, Michael Cera, Jesse Eisenberg. Pharell

Yipster: Think Prius commerical, Apple commericals, techies with a bit of flare. They go in and out of the grungy hipster scene and the nicer enclaves. James Franco is one that comes to mind. Also anyone in a faux-indie rom dramedy.

real Hipster: grungy, artsy, lower income, lives in a pre-gentrified area.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 AM

1,011 posts, read 978,155 times
How about the $30k millionaire?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's a yipster (a yuppie hipster) which can be confused with cool nerds, geek chic types. The kind that are a bit more educated than your average hipster, usually in something tech related and they make slightly more money but love the avant garde scene.

A hipster a real deal hipster would probably rather just live in Austin than in Houston. But you would probably see them more at the Poison Girl in Lower Westhiemer. They're a bit grungier, are more into drugs, and tend to be lower income. They earn just a slightly higher salary than your average migrant worker but you'd never know because they mask their poverty in stylish gear and ride cool vintage bikes.
They afford these places because they still get stipends from their parents
The lower end apartments in the museum district are where a lot of them live. Many share bungalows in Montrose too.

A lot of people have a hard time reading the subtle differences between the two but I was around in Austin when the hipster scene emerged from the ashes of the grunge scene, dumpster diving and all. Then it became mainstream and you have these cool nerds, boho chic, and yuppie types taking over the overall scene.
Plenty of extra cash to be able to shop at whole foods as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Plenty of extra cash to be able to shop at whole foods as well.
No I've met some bare bones hipsters but they maintain because they live six to a three bedroom, shop exclusively at thirft stores (real ones, not Buffalo Exchange, but Goodwill and Thrift King), ride bikes and take public transit, live off financial aid while majoring in philosophy or English at UH. They don't shop at whole foods all the time, they go to the Fiesta off West Alabama. They live in places where they re-use things for makeshift furniture not just because it's eco-friendly but economical too.

The areas behind St. Thomas are filled with real hipsters. Go to Star Bar in the Heights and you will find hipsters and rocker-hipster types.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM

61 posts, read 113,778 times
I'll just term all the non-real hipsters as "faux-hipsters". Yes, the Buffalo Exchange on Westheimer is filled with them. UGH

Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,119 times
buffalo exchange is filled with high schoolers and college freshman

anvil looks sometimes like there is a high concentration of d-bags but it's really good. ive never not enjoyed myself. dont think i look like a yuppies, hipster, d-bag or whatever vernacular

Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Boho chic is like Russell Brand, expensive designer bohemian wear.

Cool Nerd, Geek Chic would be the Apatow crew; Seth Rogen, Michael Cera, Jesse Eisenberg. Pharell

Yipster: Think Prius commerical, Apple commericals, techies with a bit of flare. They go in and out of the grungy hipster scene and the nicer enclaves. James Franco is one that comes to mind. Also anyone in a faux-indie rom dramedy.

real Hipster: grungy, artsy, lower income, lives in a pre-gentrified area.
'Safety Not Guaranteed'...my kind of hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston