Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,774 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been combing through these boards for some information and I have found great info on some of the sub-divisions I'm looking at (Eagle Springs, Summerwood, all of Kingwood), but not much on Walden in the way of whether it's good for kids or not. They seem to have some beautiful homes at really good prices, but I don't want to get into a neighborhood with no kids or playgrounds in sight. I know ES and SW are pretty ideal for young families (I have a 10 year old son and a 4 year old daughter), but I'm wondering about Walden.

We belong to the Kingwood Country Club now and it looks like you automatically get a social membership to Walen's when you buy there, but it doesn't seem to be as kid friendly even from a CC perspective as Kingwood.

Any information and/or advice is welcome and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
My parents moved to Walden On Lake Houston recently. I don't see many children there (that's just my personal observation). I also haven't noticed any playgrounds, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Walden doesn't have sidewalks; therefore, when you walk anywhere with the kids, you're in the street. My parents have the social membership, but I BELIEVE it's mandatory for them since they are on the golf course (I think my mom said it's $50 per month, but don't quote me on that. Additionally, that's their social membership and not a golf membership).

I personally like the neighborhood and think you get a lot of bang for your buck, but I'm not sure if it's a good place for young children. I've seen kids at the pool and fishing along the canal, but I just don't see many out playing.

I would consider driving through on a weekend to get a feel for it.

Edit: I just did an aerial scan on Google Maps, and the only playground I could see was by the neighborhood pool, and it looks quite lame.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,774 times
Thanks Pedro - that's exactly what I was afraid of! I'd love a good deal on a house and the homes look great online, but the point is to have a good neighborhood for my kiddos so I might just have to bite the bullet and go with the cookie cutter neighborhoods that are more kid-friendly.

Thanks again!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
I used to live in Walden, and moved out once I had kids because some things became glaringly clear - it's not kid friendly. No sidewalks. Too many cars park in the street that you have to walk around when you are walking/strolling a stroller. There is 1 small mediocre playground right by the train tracks. There are kids, but due to the layout of the streets - you don't see them out playing out front much.

I wrote a pretty lengthy post on it not too long ago for another poster. I will see if I can find it. Walden is great for some, wasn't for us. We moved to Eagle Springs and couldn't be happier in regards to families/kids playing/people being out side, etc.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Here's a post of mine - page 3 - https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...re-area-3.html

Page 4 - https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...unities-4.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...all-creek.html

Walden's pool/amenities are also lacking when compared to the other neighborhoods like Summerwood and ES. We pay less in HOA fees for Eagle Springs than we did for Walden (the basic club membership - which did not even include the tennis courts), and we have 2 awesome pools, a splashpad, parks/playgrounds in every little subdivision, great tennis courts, baseball fields, 2 clubhouses, a workout facility, a sand volleyball court, and tons of walking trails/sidewalks. We also have 2 EXCELLENT elementary schools within ES. Tons of kids live here and many friends are made everywhere around here.

Although I did like Walden's non-cookie cutter look!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,993 times
We moved to Walden past January, 2013. First of all, membership is mandatory for everyone, whether you live on the golf course or not. It is $81.00 a month, And that does NOT include golf. I'm not sure how much extra it is for golfing. Second, I have kids but they are older, 12 and 16. And even for them it is not Kid Friendly. There are no sidewalks and nowhere to ride bikes. Yes, people park all up and down the streets because the driveways are so small (or possibly to in hopes of slowing traffic down, which brings me to the heavy traffic and 30 mph speed limits on every road. We cannot even get a stop sign put in on a main drag corner even tho it is very difficult to back out of our driveway sometimes! And last, there is no bus service unless you live all the way in the back. We live over a mile from the middle school and they have a 'late day' every Thursday (whoever came up with that brilliant idea should be fired!) I have to be at work at 8:00, school starts at 10:10 on Thursday for middle schoolers & high schoolers that do not drive, are not offered public transportation, and do not have sidewalks in their neighborhood and have to walk 1.5 miles to school! So NO, Walden is not a place for children of ANY age! Good that you are researching this because I was horribly misinformed from my realtor that obviously just wanted a sale. I wouldn't move here knowing what I know now even if I didn't have any children at home.
Hope this helps!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisLed69 View Post
We moved to Walden past January, 2013. First of all, membership is mandatory for everyone, whether you live on the golf course or not. It is $81.00 a month, And that does NOT include golf. I'm not sure how much extra it is for golfing. Second, I have kids but they are older, 12 and 16. And even for them it is not Kid Friendly. There are no sidewalks and nowhere to ride bikes. Yes, people park all up and down the streets because the driveways are so small (or possibly to in hopes of slowing traffic down, which brings me to the heavy traffic and 30 mph speed limits on every road. We cannot even get a stop sign put in on a main drag corner even tho it is very difficult to back out of our driveway sometimes! And last, there is no bus service unless you live all the way in the back. We live over a mile from the middle school and they have a 'late day' every Thursday (whoever came up with that brilliant idea should be fired!) I have to be at work at 8:00, school starts at 10:10 on Thursday for middle schoolers & high schoolers that do not drive, are not offered public transportation, and do not have sidewalks in their neighborhood and have to walk 1.5 miles to school! So NO, Walden is not a place for children of ANY age! Good that you are researching this because I was horribly misinformed from my realtor that obviously just wanted a sale. I wouldn't move here knowing what I know now even if I didn't have any children at home.
Hope this helps!
Just out of curiosity, why would you not move there if you didn't have children?

Like I said earlier, my parents, who are retirement age - so no kids at home, have been in there for four months now, and they love the neighborhood. They moved from a much more kid friendly neighborhood (sidewalks, parks, etc) that had lots of kids, and they really enjoy the quieter and more adult oriented neighborhood. Their only gripe is the speeders that come through; however, they lived in a cul-de-sac before and don't realize that had they been on a main artery in the old neighborhood, they'd have encountered the same.

Before I knew that kids had to walk to school, I didn't think it was a good neighborhood for parents with children, but knowing that now, there is no way I'd recommend this neighborhood to families. (The only exception being if your family was really into water-sports and you were buying on the lake)

One thing that I do find interesting is the benefit of being on the golf course there. The way the course is angled and the trees are aligned, my parents almost always have a breeze running through their backyard. That breeze combined with the shade makes their yard relatively comfortable even on the hottest days. My guess is the wind going across the lake is cooled somewhat and then channeled down some of the greens. It's amazingly pleasant even in mid August. I live on a canal, but since I don't get that breeze generated like they do, the difference is significant.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you not move there if you didn't have children?

Like I said earlier, my parents, who are retirement age - so no kids at home, have been in there for four months now, and they love the neighborhood. They moved from a much more kid friendly neighborhood (sidewalks, parks, etc) that had lots of kids, and they really enjoy the quieter and more adult oriented neighborhood. Their only gripe is the speeders that come through; however, they lived in a cul-de-sac before and don't realize that had they been on a main artery in the old neighborhood, they'd have encountered the same.

Before I knew that kids had to walk to school, I didn't think it was a good neighborhood for parents with children, but knowing that now, there is no way I'd recommend this neighborhood to families. (The only exception being if your family was really into water-sports and you were buying on the lake)

One thing that I do find interesting is the benefit of being on the golf course there. The way the course is angled and the trees are aligned, my parents almost always have a breeze running through their backyard. That breeze combined with the shade makes their yard relatively comfortable even on the hottest days. My guess is the wind going across the lake is cooled somewhat and then channeled down some of the greens. It's amazingly pleasant even in mid August. I live on a canal, but since I don't get that breeze generated like they do, the difference is significant.
Because the $81 monthly fees are not worth it. The gym, pool and clubhouse I'd extremely outdated. All the money paid by each house all goes into the golf course. The main reason however, if the traffic, speeders, lack of stop sign where there definitely should be some to slow the speeders down. We joined Lifetime got a decent pool and gym. It's less for 2 people monthly than Walden fees and it's clean and up to date. We live on the canal which is only mowed in the spring even though that is the only safe place for people to walk. But now that the grass is 3 feet high there are snakes, mosquitos and other critters creeping around (skunks got example). It's not what i had hoped for. I've nearly been test ended several times trying to turn into my own driveway by speeders that ride your bumper at 30 mph. That's even when i turn on my turn signal to try and let them know I'm turning. Then, they feel the need to honk, yell and obscene gestures are necessary because i slow down to in my own driveway! It's like living on NASCAR Blvd! No one will help with speed limits or to get a stop sign on the corner. We found out we moved in that someone had driven through the yard before and took out tree and tinned the previous owners suburban... and no stop sign. They had small children so i know why they left. I have dogs and if one ever gets out I'm afraid it'll be over for them. I just don't understand the speed limit being 30- that only means they think ok to dRive 40. Even the mail man speeds like they'd no tomorrow. Another thing, they put all the mail on the main drags which is very dangerous for people checking their mail. So, disrespectful speeders and no sidewalks and money being spent only on golf...
Half a million a month from that community and look at what the non golfers get for it. Nothing but a run down pool and playground. But hey, if your a golfer... It's for you! Love my house, just wish i could pick it up and move it!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisLed69 View Post
Because the $81 monthly fees are not worth it. The gym, pool and clubhouse I'd extremely outdated. All the money paid by each house all goes into the golf course. The main reason however, if the traffic, speeders, lack of stop sign where there definitely should be some to slow the speeders down. We joined Lifetime got a decent pool and gym. It's less for 2 people monthly than Walden fees and it's clean and up to date. We live on the canal which is only mowed in the spring even though that is the only safe place for people to walk. But now that the grass is 3 feet high there are snakes, mosquitos and other critters creeping around (skunks got example). It's not what i had hoped for. I've nearly been test ended several times trying to turn into my own driveway by speeders that ride your bumper at 30 mph. That's even when i turn on my turn signal to try and let them know I'm turning. Then, they feel the need to honk, yell and obscene gestures are necessary because i slow down to in my own driveway! It's like living on NASCAR Blvd! No one will help with speed limits or to get a stop sign on the corner. We found out we moved in that someone had driven through the yard before and took out tree and tinned the previous owners suburban... and no stop sign. They had small children so i know why they left. I have dogs and if one ever gets out I'm afraid it'll be over for them. I just don't understand the speed limit being 30- that only means they think ok to dRive 40. Even the mail man speeds like they'd no tomorrow. Another thing, they put all the mail on the main drags which is very dangerous for people checking their mail. So, disrespectful speeders and no sidewalks and money being spent only on golf...
Half a million a month from that community and look at what the non golfers get for it. Nothing but a run down pool and playground. But hey, if your a golfer... It's for you! Love my house, just wish i could pick it up and move it!
This exactly! It's one of the main reasons we moved after only living there for less than 5 years, and brought a lot of money to the table to get out of our house. And when we lived there, monthly dues were $75/mo. I can't imagine $81. And that's without the tennis courts still? I pay less than that in ES, and have way more amenities at my disposal, which is another one of the main reasons we left.

We also had a 4 year old pure bred chocolate lab that got out our front door one day, because our young daughter at the time thought she was being helpful. I was gone at work, and hubby thought she was in the backyard. Despite flyers all around our neighborhood, we never saw her again.

It's a fine neighborhood for some, but not for a family with kids. As I always say, when you are looking into communities to move to, do your research! What's great for some, isn't great for others.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 AM

467 posts, read 777,928 times
Lots & lots of people selling in Walden and moving to Eagle Springs .. get in in while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: