Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,718,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
San Antonio would be better. The place you're talking about is strip mall sprawl, and even worse, is turning ghetto. I can't think of any reason why a person would CHOOSE to live there over San Antonio.
Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,011,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Many people don't choose the The Woodlands because it's "substantially cheaper" than nice neighborhoods in Houston, they choose it because of work or lifestyle.

Two examples:

$2.5 million loft in The Woodlands:
1 Waterway Ct 6-B, Spring, TX 77380 - HAR.com

$19 million home in The Woodlands:
88 Grand Regency Cir, The Woodlands, TX 77382 - HAR.com

Yes, overall the homes will be cheaper than those in West U and such, but there are still many $1 million plus homes there. If you do an HAR search for homes over a million, you come up with pages and pages of results. So, there are plenty of people who could afford to live inside the loop, but they choose The Woodlands for other reasons.

I will definitely agree that the OP should do the reverse commute as you suggested. He will most likely be happier with his social life and a loop to Greenspoint 7:30 commute will be much better than a Spring to Greenspoint 7:30 commute each morning.
Quote:
How many homes outside the loop do you believe are million dollar plus homes? I'm guessing there are thousands (In The Woodlands alone there are 74 listings for $1 million plus homes - those are homes for sale not total worth more than a million in that community). So why do you believe those thousands of people who could afford the combo of good schools in nice neighborhoods are living in the burbs? Do you think they are unaware of the city?

No, it's a lifestyle choice for them. They PREFER to be there even though they could live inside the loop in the nice neighborhood with the nice school.

I know that some people just can't imagine not living inside the loop to be close to the cool bars, high-end shopping and such, but not everybody feels that way.

If my housing budget were $10 million and I needed to live in the Houston area (for whatever reason), I still would not be living in the loop, because my lifestyle choice keeps me living on the water. So even though I'd be able to afford to live in any neighborhood, you'd find me living on one of the lakes or on the bay.

The OP has a different lifestyle than me that puts him in the Heights, Montrose, Midtown, etc. Those areas match his lifestyle. One day he might want to change his lifestyle. He may have kids who get into motoX and he may move out to Manvel so he can build a track on a few acres.

It's good that people are pointing him to the areas that suit him with his current lifestyle, but these generic statements of "the burbs are for those who can't afford the inner-loop", which seem to pop up way too often, send the wrong message to others who might be reading this thread. It basically communicates false information about Houston.
That preference could be for space. I know if I had the money I'd much rather be in my million dollar home with a good/decent piece from my neighbor to than the tightly packed millions in West U.

I mean look at this:
6510 Wakeforest St, West University, TX 77005 - HAR.com
Millions? Check.
Big? Check.
Backyard? None. Look at the proximity to the neighbors in that picture overlooking the pool.

Compared to this:
27 Chancery Place, The Woodlands, TX 77381 - HAR.com
Millions? Check.
Big? Check.
Backyard and proximity to neighbors? Priceless. It's still close but you're not right up on each other.

Of course it is on the golf course but still. I really don't care for Sugar Land but I'd so live in Sweetwater and those millions are TW distance apart. The same with Memorial and such.

A lot of West U million dollar homes may as well be townhomes with how close they are. They're just feet from being connected. It's like million dollar tract houses almost. Just boom boom boom right there together.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,467,739 times
Quote:
Houston?
Greenspoint

Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM

58 posts, read 96,173 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am moving from a hustling and bustling town of 10,000. Pretty much anything will be an improvement. I'm not the type of person that I constantly need to be doing anything. I enjoy just sitting on my porch and enjoying the outdoors. Hard to find in Houston, or San Antonio for that fact without driving a little bit.

Would finding a rent house be possible for my price range? I would like something with a garage. I own a race car and I would like to bring it with me if I could. I road race and autocross.

I am flying down Monday for my final interview.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,467,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am moving from a hustling and bustling town of 10,000. Pretty much anything will be an improvement. I'm not the type of person that I constantly need to be doing anything. I enjoy just sitting on my porch and enjoying the outdoors. Hard to find in Houston, or San Antonio for that fact without driving a little bit.

Would finding a rent house be possible for my price range? I would like something with a garage. I own a race car and I would like to bring it with me if I could. I road race and autocross.

I am flying down Monday for my final interview.

I think you can find a house like that but it will be way out a suburb, but a 70s era one. Did you get the job?

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I think you can find a house like that but it will be way out a suburb, but a 70s era one. Did you get the job?
They are writing the offer letter. I will get it tomorrow.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,263,515 times
Quote:
How many homes outside the loop do you believe are million dollar plus homes? I'm guessing there are thousands (In The Woodlands alone there are 74 listings for $1 million plus homes - those are homes for sale not total worth more than a million in that community). So why do you believe those thousands of people who could afford the combo of good schools in nice neighborhoods are living in the burbs? Do you think they are unaware of the city?

No, it's a lifestyle choice for them. They PREFER to be there even though they could live inside the loop in the nice neighborhood with the nice school.

I know that some people just can't imagine not living inside the loop to be close to the cool bars, high-end shopping and such, but not everybody feels that way.

If my housing budget were $10 million and I needed to live in the Houston area (for whatever reason), I still would not be living in the loop, because my lifestyle choice keeps me living on the water. So even though I'd be able to afford to live in any neighborhood, you'd find me living on one of the lakes or on the bay.

The OP has a different lifestyle than me that puts him in the Heights, Montrose, Midtown, etc. Those areas match his lifestyle. One day he might want to change his lifestyle. He may have kids who get into motoX and he may move out to Manvel so he can build a track on a few acres.

It's good that people are pointing him to the areas that suit him with his current lifestyle, but these generic statements of "the burbs are for those who can't afford the inner-loop", which seem to pop up way too often, send the wrong message to others who might be reading this thread. It basically communicates false information about Houston.
I think the reason why people choose to live in Houston suburbs such as Sugar Land or the Woodlands can be either a lifestyle choice or an affordability choice. I would argue that it is a matter of affordability for the majority of people. While a $350k property can be had in the loop, families would have to pay private school tuition which is $12-$30k per child per year! Most properties large enough for families in the loop that are zoned to good schools start at $700k and go north quickly. A $350k home suburban family could not afford that. Now as was said, a $350k home in a desirable suburb in the loop zoned to a good school district can easily be $1 Million and $1.4 Million if you could find one with a yard.

Overall, I would argue that for people with budgets under $500k, it is most likely an affordability issue, and for those with budgets above $1 Million, it is more or less a lifestyle issue.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM

What do you guys think of the 77086 zip code? What is this neighborhood called?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,262 times
North Houston is Boomin'!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM

It is for an engineering position. That doesn't mean I want to pay out my @ss for something I won't get back (apartment). That just isn't a smart investment. I have looked at The Heights and I wouldn't be comfortable paying that much. I have two vehicles and a fully furnished house where I live now. An apartment really won't have enough room for all my stuff. I know I can store it, but that is just wasted money too. I will have a better idea tomorrow on my budget as I will get my offer. Today I have been researching salaries and it's a pain in the butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston