Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,290,039 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing lots of threads on people buying, but not as much in selling. A friend of mine who lived off of Eldridge/Memorial sold her house... and got 32K more than what she asked for! My next door neighbor had a rent house in Katy proper she wanted to get rid of and her agent came by Thursday night to have her sign papers, the house went into the MLS on Friday, and it was sold on Monday. She did not get more than what she asked for, but she got all that she asked for.

So is it just this time of year, people wanting to get their family situated for school, or is there a preference for older houses now? The odd thing is, I don't see a shortage of new housing in Katy. Think Firethorn, and those areas, there are so many new homes west of 99. I know the Energy Corridor is booming, I'm guessing that plays a part, but many of those new to the energy business are younger, and living in apartments it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,310,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
So is it just this time of year, people wanting to get their family situated for school,
This. Most families prefer to move when their kids are out of school. Particularly if that move involves a change in schools.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,772,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I've been seeing lots of threads on people buying, but not as much in selling. A friend of mine who lived off of Eldridge/Memorial sold her house... and got 32K more than what she asked for! My next door neighbor had a rent house in Katy proper she wanted to get rid of and her agent came by Thursday night to have her sign papers, the house went into the MLS on Friday, and it was sold on Monday. She did not get more than what she asked for, but she got all that she asked for.

So is it just this time of year, people wanting to get their family situated for school, or is there a preference for older houses now? The odd thing is, I don't see a shortage of new housing in Katy. Think Firethorn, and those areas, there are so many new homes west of 99. I know the Energy Corridor is booming, I'm guessing that plays a part, but many of those new to the energy business are younger, and living in apartments it seems.
Its a great time to sell in Katy, but the problem is if you want to buy back in Katy..."the price of the brick has gone up". lol I love using that Marlo Stanfield (The Wire) quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM

240 posts, read 808,998 times
I live in old Katy and my house sold in about six weeks. My neighborhood isn't a master planned community but one that is out of the way and very quiet so I knew it would take a little bit longer to sell. I made a little profit on it. My friends that live south of the border off of Mason and in Cinco are quickly selling their homes. The profit I made will be used in buying a home closer into town. And yes, it is exactly what usc619 is saying...the price of the brick has definitely gone up everywhere so technically I am breaking even but I get to change locations.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM

455 posts, read 527,036 times
When we purchased our house in December, we set Hwy 99 as our limit -- nothing west of there. We like to head in to town for various things, and it is already enough drive to get out here. We didn't want to keep tacking on additional time driving west and then through all the neighborhoods. Also, we preferred the more established areas (we are in the Cinco South Lake area) with the mature trees and better access to the commercial areas. I imagine there are plenty of people who feel the same and so I would imagine that interest in older properties is pretty high. From talking to the neighbors, houses in this area don't come up often and don't stay on the market long when they do.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,701,429 times
The summer time is always the best time to sell. Families try to move when school is over.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,602,110 times
There's a low supply of inventory homes with more and more buyers are competing for the same home.

Last edited by Beto; 06-11-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 PM

243 posts, read 800,589 times
summer is the best time to sell your house according to my realtor. but katy has its own boom right now. i have an electrical contracting business, so i see a lot of homes that are in the buyer/seller negotiation with inspections. most HO's that i have talked to sell their house in just a few days for full price. there was a report not too long ago showing the top selling zip codes in the houston area and 77494 was at the top. mine is in old katy and sold in six weeks. we listed high and got higher than expected. we are now building due to the low inventory and other personal preferences such as energy efficiency.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,147,753 times
All I know is that I saw my exact floor plan (large one story) for sale in Katy. Granted it was on 2/3 of a acre. But I have nicer upgrades in my home (wood floors, stone fireplace, etc). We kept the gameroom 9so we have a 4 bedroom + gameroom), they changed theirs into a second Master suite (they lost the gameroom). My house in Atascocita is roughly $250,000-270,000. That house in Katy is now Option Pending for.....$420,000!!! It's a nice house, but not THAT nice!! Not even for the lot. I think it's crazy what people are paying for the houses in the Katy area right now. And because people will keep buying...prices will keep going up.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM

675 posts, read 1,455,402 times
You don't see a shortage of new housing? You must not have been out in the communities...some have wait lists, others aren't available for move until Jan, and others are charging an arm and a leg for some of their inventory homes. People currently living in their home are hanging on to them and the ones who do sell, sell quickly and for asking price. Anywhere in and around the Cinco Ranch area is crazy. But The Woodlands is crazy ridiculous. Our neighbor put his house up, had an open house during the weekend, and had 7 offers waiting on the table come Monday morning. All at asking or above. Unbelievable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston