Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 AM

8,897 posts, read 20,021,962 times

Advertisements

Do you ever get tired of being accosted at every redlight by the suburban kids sports team with their buckets begging for cash to go to some sports camp or playoff game? Yes there are some who are underpriviledged and do need some monetary help in order to participate and enjoy their childhoods and funds established to do so because all children should enjoy childhood. However, a lot of these kids are coming out of homes priced at $150k+ while mom or dad have the back of the Lexus SUV filled with water and beverages. I love kids but geez - teach them humility, benevolence and charity to those less fortunate. Teach them to work for money and not to just be expected a handout and a free ride.

Hey wash some cars, weed some flowerbeds and earn the cash. Teach your kid how to put on a benefit such as a car wash so that they learn a valuable lesson of earning the cash and not just parking at the local walgreens or cvs while your kid runs through traffic with a bucket. And of course, isn't it always a good idea when you do have a carwash to put your teenage daughter out there in her shortest shorts and skimpiest top so every pervert with eyesight can leer at her while she lures them into the carwash. She's not a Hooters waitress - she is a kid who should be earning money doing teen things and not luring customers to a carwash solely to leer at her. Yeah all young girls dress this way and that is fine but when they do it to solicit business it becomes a different animal. Panhandling at intersections is 1) dangerous due to traffic, etc. 2) pretty much the same as when the homeless sit there with their signs. You turn your nose up at them but expect people to crack open their wallet because it is a kid's team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,725,197 times
Haha -- did you just take a drive down Clear Lake City Blvd? This happens quite often on fair weather weekends. Just east of Hwy 3.

$150k house? Try $200-900k around here.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:36 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,424,109 times
That definitely bothers me--but what irritates me most is when it seems to be so "unofficially" done. Several different weekends there have been the same group of kids with one adult at the intersections of Hwy 6 & I-10, BW 8 & I-10, and Wilcrest & I-10. They have one crappy looking poster with barely legible ink and something about "Stars for Jesus" is written on it. I just want to roll my window down and say, "Do I have 'SUCKER' written on my forehead?"

YES, please, people, teach your kids how to EARN their money!

The ONLY time I do not get bothered is when I see the volunteer firemen out there. I think it's called "Fill the Boot". I do so with a smile. Love our firemen and women!!

Old 11-04-2007, 11:37 AM

Yeah that's why I put $150+ because that is just the beginning range of homes - they should be able to afford to send their kid on their own or at least teach them to work for it. You're right CLC Blvd. is notorious for that as are hundreds of other upper income burb streets in the greater Houston area (and probably every city in this country).

Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Yeah that's why I put $150+ because that is just the beginning range of homes - they should be able to afford to send their kid on their own or at least teach them to work for it. You're right CLC Blvd. is notorious for that as are hundreds of other upper income burb streets.

This and other "upper income" areas are more like upper-credit-spending. You can look at zip codes around here on city-data for median incomes and median home prices. Combine that with double $700/mo car payments and other materialistic things, and you know something doesn't add up. Drown these money problems out with alcohol... and then do you ever wonder why some people out here have the stupid attitudes they do?

In reality they still need all the cold hard cash they can get.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Speaking of drowning out with alcohol - what's up with San Leon and Bacliff - they seem to have an inordinate amount of DWI's in that area.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:51 PM

San Leon and Bacliff are generally somewhat trashy.

Wikipedia says 1 in 5 people are in poverty, and 1 in 3 minors are in poverty.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,611,887 times
Default Heh! Pass the butter!

Interesting topic.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,424,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Interesting topic.

Which one?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,006 times
looks like the youngsters found a way to profit from Houston's living-thru-their-children outlook in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston