Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,894,169 times

Advertisements

Looks like my housing budget for moving to Houston is going to be about $250K, which is much less than I originally thought. So here's a question. Does anyone have recommendations on condos in that price range? I've looked at har.com and have found some in that range, but I have no idea as to whether they're in good locations or whether the condo complexes have good reputations. I'm hoping to hear from residents who have personal experience with condos in the price range I'm looking at.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Condos and townhomes do not appreciate like single family houses - but are often a single person's first buy.

Biggest question is the same old - same old - job vicinity?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Condos and townhomes do not appreciate like single family houses - but are often a single person's first buy.

Biggest question is the same old - same old - job vicinity?
I'm retired, so my only criteria would be a condo complex with a good reputation, and location in a safe, well maintained neighborhood.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,634,072 times
Do homes in Houston even appreciate? I had a house in Cypress and I just checked the value on it and it looks like it is worth what I sold it for 4 years ago.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,707,667 times
You need to be more specific. At least give us an area of town. I would not expect anything amazing for 250K.

And, homes appreciate in Houston. Mine has gone up by about 100K in the last few years. My parents has jumped about 250K. The suburbs won't go nuts like inside the loop. I think most places inside the loop will go up 10-15% a year. I have no clue where they will top out at. I bought a lot for 265 not long ago and just weeks later was offered to flip it. There is just not enough inventory to keep up with demand. Builders are going as fast as they can go.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You need to be more specific. At least give us an area of town. I would not expect anything amazing for 250K.

And, homes appreciate in Houston. Mine has gone up by about 100K in the last few years. My parents has jumped about 250K. The suburbs won't go nuts like inside the loop. I think most places inside the loop will go up 10-15% a year. I have no clue where they will top out at. I bought a lot for 265 not long ago and just weeks later was offered to flip it. There is just not enough inventory to keep up with demand. Builders are going as fast as they can go.
I'd like to avoid the "up and coming" areas that are still very sketchy. But I'd like to be fairly close in. What about the area near Uptown around Fountainview. On har.com there are a ton of condos in that area, but they appear to be old. That in itself wouldn't be a problem as long as the area is safe and is mostly owner occupied. The last thing I want to get into is a condo complex that is mostly rental.

I know that for $250K there are suburbs where you can get a very large, nice new home in a good neighborhood. But the downside is that it's so far out from the city.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,108,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post

I disagree about not finding anything amazing for under 250k. There are definitely condos below 250k that are nice and in great areas.

I'm currently in the process of buying a condo in a great spot in uptown off wood way. My situation is a little different since my budget is smaller as its only a 1BR (and a fixer) but I think I did ok as I'm purchasing it for less than 80k.

My sources when browsing was urbanliving.com. I also went through their company and realtor for the buying process. Those listings should give you a good idea of what's avail in Houston.

it does seem even condo prices are gradually rising right now though. Feel free to ask me any questions as I've researched uptown, and med center for the last 5-6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: