Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 PM

690 posts, read 2,633,930 times

Advertisements

Almost forgot....

Quote:
anything else you can tell me about Texas would be very helpful being that I have lived in California my whole life.
You'll do just fine.

It's different, that's for sure, but if you come here with an open mind you'll do great. Be open, talk to people, absorb everything around you. The only people who can't make it here in Texas are the people who don't WANT to. Realize that Texas will be totally different from your home state and relish that, and you'll love it here. And, people will love your being here in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM

82 posts, read 293,269 times
Well believe me anything would be better then Cali. A lot of people love it here and I know I live by the beach but the prices of houses are crazy and I don't think its the best place to raise kids. Everything I have read up on about Texas I love. I am concerned however about how I will deal with the weather in Texas. That is one thing we have good here is the weather. Thank you again for all your info.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:39 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,249,308 times
Well if you want the small town feel but still be close enough to conveniences, you might try an area like Huffman and the Commons on Lake Houston. Nice two+ acre properties with a quick ride into Humble and all the shopping conveniences. Crosby is also an area to consider too, especially with Highway 90 finally getting extended. It really depends on where you are going to work though as the commute could be real monstrous if you choose wrong. Tomball, Sugarland, Pearland, and Friendswood are being widely developed and are not as country as the places I've mentioned.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:39 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,065,313 times
If you are thinking Friendswood, La Porte, you might also want to check out Seabrook or League City both are in CCISD which is wonderful (Clear Creek ISD).

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM

179 posts, read 859,733 times
Sugarland has more crime than Tomball does.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:07 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,853,138 times
Crime is not bad in Tomball. With a family that large I would suggest Memorial Northwest subdivision in the Klein ISD. Some of the homes are not my cup of tea from a design/style standpoint, but the price per foot is one of the best buys for a nicer area. You can get an obnoxiously big house out there for $250k and the schools are all good. Run it on HAR and see.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM

82 posts, read 293,269 times
Thank you all. I am going to go and research all your places now. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 PM

799 posts, read 3,701,268 times
I live right outside of tomball, a hop skip and a jump. ad I am curious about the crime you speak of. Tomball is hardly a crime area at all unless you are speaking in terms of teen type stuff. This is a great area with great schools, tomball isd, klein isd, and cy-fair isd. I have lived out here for 14 years and it is an incredibly safe area as far as I am concerned.
There are alot of awesome suburbs in the houston area such as sugarland, etc. I just hate to see misinformation about my area.
For 250 and under for a 5-6 bedroom house in this area, you would check memorial northwest or champion forest in 77379 which is Spring, klein isd.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 62,395 times
Have you consider Katy, TX is a great family driven area, I live in Cinco Ranch, and if you want to learn more about the neighborhood where I live is www.cincoranch.com it will give you alot of information in regards to what they have to offer, crime rates, schools, etc.
I moved from California too, and have a 7yr old daughter.

Sugarland is a beautiful place to live as well, now if you want something farther down, Fulsher is a nice place that has good subdivisions,

I like Katy ISD very much. Look and compare through the websites like greatschools.com

Best of luck

Old 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 62,395 times
correction, the website where you can get info about the neighborhood is www.cincoranchpoa.com if yo go down where it says documents and forms a list of items comes up, like crime report, recreation, community news etc. In regards to price range you can find starting in the $140's and they have a new subdivision behind near Cinco Ranch called Pine Mills, their prices are starting in the $120's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston