Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,159,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
There was a lottery to get into Carnegie this year. Well over 200 kids that qualified as gifted/talented were on the waiting list. I'd call that hard to get into. Entry into HSPVA is by audition for a few slots in various artistic disciplines. The qualification test for Debakey is not for academic lightweights. There is a reason these schools rise to the top of the rankings every year.
Thank you, somebody who gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,583,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
There was a lottery to get into Carnegie this year. Well over 200 kids that qualified as gifted/talented were on the waiting list. I'd call that hard to get into. Entry into HSPVA is by audition for a few slots in various artistic disciplines. The qualification test for Debakey is not for academic lightweights. There is a reason these schools rise to the top of the rankings every year.
There sure is. It's because unlike some of the other districts, HISD has some real solid options for its poorest students. These opportunities in turn created serious competition from all students for theses schools regardless of income levels.

In FBISD, if you are a poor kid on the east side your options include hoping your mother or father gets a miracle promotion or your parents get divorced and one marries an engineer who lives in Commonwealth so they are zoned to Clements.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I state that HISD is a better district than Fort Bend ISD.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 AM

24,035 posts, read 15,140,782 times
My kid attended a HISD magnet school. The kids all knew that one step over the line would have them back in the neighborhood school the very next day. The behavior problems were slim to none. HISD also provided transportation to the magnets.

My current suburban district has what they call a magnet. It is an IB school at Klein Oak. It is 22 miles from the most southern part of the district. There is no public transportation. How would a low income student get to school? Klein has pretty much created a private academy within a public school. Bet Klein is not alone.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 AM

188 posts, read 349,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Not really, most of the highest ranked schools in the city are either magnet or charter schools. They function as de facto private schools, they get to pick and choose the students they want. If you look at the highest ranked regular non magnet/charter schools they are all in the suburbs. HSPVA, and the high school for health professions, and Carnegie are all great schools, but hard as hell to get into.
This ^. If you can pick your students, the ranking is easy to maintain at a certain level. That's not the case with clements, Austin, cinco ranch, seven lakes etc. which are on the list with other magnet schools from the city.so suburbs still hold the with for good schools.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM

21 posts, read 43,670 times
If your child is in the G/T program, disciplined and maintains excellent grades, it's not that hard to get into. Carnegie is rigorous academically that's why they are an excellent school as is HSPVA. When selecting a high school for your child, I think parents should consider what the child wants and if the school is a right FIT.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,701,818 times
I agree that Carnegie and HSPVA get to cherry pick the best students. Of course it will be much better than a larger school. There is a disadvantage of going to schools like those. It is hard to graduate in the upper percentile of the school.

I went to High School for Engineering Professions. The education was wonderful, but I did not have the normal high school experience. I never dated there. I never went to a pep rally or football game. I did play baseball and soccer there. Many times I wish I just went to Lamar HS.

I then like an idiot go to Missouri School of Mines for college. That was a huge mistake. The education was great, but the social aspect sucked. I don't know why I did not go to UT. HS and college should be fun. I was never much of the nerdy type. I was more of a partier. Heck, I still am.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,773,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly in sweet land View Post
This ^. If you can pick your students, the ranking is easy to maintain at a certain level. That's not the case with clements, Austin, cinco ranch, seven lakes etc. which are on the list with other magnet schools from the city.so suburbs still hold the with for good schools.
Yea but you're not bringing up the fact that ISD's like Katy and Ft. Bend manipulate the zones in order to keep certain social demos separated. not so much at HISD and Alief. That's a big advantage for Clements, Austin, Cinco ranch, Seven lakes etc.

As I said, I don't know why folks come on here assuming a school will make their kid a Rhode scholar lol.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,583,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Yea but you're not bringing up the fact that ISD's like Katy and Ft. Bend manipulate the zones in order to keep certain social demos separated. not so much at HISD and Alief. That's a big advantage for Clements, Austin, Cinco ranch, Seven lakes etc.

As I said, I don't know why folks come on here assuming a school will make their kid a Rhode scholar lol.
Now usc is most certainly someone who gets it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM

766 posts, read 1,256,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I agree that Carnegie and HSPVA get to cherry pick the best students. Of course it will be much better than a larger school. There is a disadvantage of going to schools like those. It is hard to graduate in the upper percentile of the school.

I went to High School for Engineering Professions. The education was wonderful, but I did not have the normal high school experience. I never dated there. I never went to a pep rally or football game. I did play baseball and soccer there. Many times I wish I just went to Lamar HS.

I then like an idiot go to Missouri School of Mines for college. That was a huge mistake. The education was great, but the social aspect sucked. I don't know why I did not go to UT. HS and college should be fun. I was never much of the nerdy type. I was more of a partier. Heck, I still am.
Well UT isn't much of a party school either. I am a current student but most of the kids are extremely competitive and will choose school over partying any day. Hook em

Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,016 times
There was way more than that. Looks like these are only high schools.
Berry Miller Jr. High in Pearland was on this list too and many more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
For those who can't or don't want to open the PDF, below are the "A" rated schools:

Debakey High School For Health Prof. (Houston ISD)
Carnegie Vanguard High School (Houston ISD)
Eastwood Academy (Houston ISD)
Kerr High School (Alief ISD)
KIPP Houston High School
YES Prep-Southeast Campus
East Early College High School (Houston ISD)
Performing & Visual Arts High School (Houston ISD)
Challenge Early College High School (Houston ISD)
YES Prep-North Central Campus
Clements High School (Fort Bend ISD)
Harmony Science Academy
Law Enforcement-Criminal Justice High School (Houston ISD)
Westchester Academy For International (Spring Branch ISD)
Memorial High School (Spring Branch ISD)
Houston Academy For International (Houston ISD)
Clear Lake High School (Clear Creek ISD)
Seven Lakes High School (Katy ISD)
Stephen F Austin High School (Fort Bend ISD)
Cinco Ranch High School (Katy ISD)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston