Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM

112 posts, read 208,316 times

Advertisements

I am coming down with a friend to check everything out and prepare for a move end of September and am planning on spending 2 nights in Galveston. Does anyone have any good hotel recommendations? I would LOVE to have a gulf/beach view and an outdoor pool, walking distance to restaurants, the sights etc, but I would also like to keep it within my budget. I dont want to spend $200 a night for somewhere to basically just sleep.
Also why do I always get the impression that Houstonians dislike Galveston? It looks like a fun and pretty place. Maybe it isnt a FL beach but you still have it right there at your fingertips, and a lot of people would jump at the chance! I know I am jealous.

Anyways, THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times
Beachfront Hotel & Spa Galveston | The San Luis Resort Galveston, TX

Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM

112 posts, read 208,316 times
yes that is gorgeous but it is also about $300 PER NIGHT. I am coming down for 8 days and 7 nights so I am already spending a hefty chunk of change and just need to keep it cheap but not "cheap". Even spending $100/night will be $700 just to have a place to sleep at night. Then add in airfare and spending money.... I am trying to save $$ to eventually move so blowing it all on a trip to check it out is not a good plan of action. HAH.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM

914 posts, read 1,835,290 times
The San Luis is the best, but it is high end. There is a Hilton and a Holiday Inn right next door to the San Luis on the Seawall. These have about the same views and have lower rates. Also check out Hotel Galvez.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,813,479 times
Try the Hampton Inn on Central City Blvd. It's just off the Seawall. I've never stayed at the one in Galveston but I drove by there and I remember thinking that it looked relatively new.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,277,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
I am coming down with a friend to check everything out and prepare for a move end of September and am planning on spending 2 nights in Galveston. Does anyone have any good hotel recommendations? I would LOVE to have a gulf/beach view and an outdoor pool, walking distance to restaurants, the sights etc, but I would also like to keep it within my budget. I dont want to spend $200 a night for somewhere to basically just sleep.
Also why do I always get the impression that Houstonians dislike Galveston? It looks like a fun and pretty place. Maybe it isnt a FL beach but you still have it right there at your fingertips, and a lot of people would jump at the chance! I know I am jealous.

Anyways, THANKS!

You will see when you get there. Galveston has some wonderful sights including old, preserved architecture and some truly fun tourist attractions. Definitely spend some time on the Strand.

Along with that it has a higher percentage of people walking the streets asking for money, and it has quite a few high crime areas for it's size. They don't print that in the tourist pamphlets. Take the good with the bad.

Actually I have wanted to stay here http://www.galveston.com/thetremonthouse/ even though we live 30 minutes away. It would be neat to walk outside your hotel onto the strand.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,649,903 times
My parents always stay at the Tremont and love it. We usually either stay at Moody Gardens or at the San Luis. My older brother prefers to stay at the Galvez.

Last time, my wife made me stay at the Inn At The Waterpark. Maybe I'm a snob, but I won't be staying there again.

You can also check out what's available on VRBO (vacation rentals by owner): Galveston TX Vacation Rentals, Galveston Beach House Rentals, Galveston TX Condos for Rent by Owner, Galveston Beachfront Rentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston