Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,155,050 times

Advertisements

I like mac I think he has done alot for the city, but he is the old guard and guys that that tend to lack vision.. instead they want to stay in a comfort zone.. its not a bad thing its human nature after awhile we see any change as a threat

In his op peice he ignores uptowns own data which shows that unless change , it will start to hit a neg impact effect ..The streets conditions the traffic will start to drive people away from that area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,064,237 times
If the members (property owners) of the Uptown District didn't think the improvements would increase their property values, they wouldn't be spending their precious funds on it. This thing is all about private development. Kind of ironic that the esteemed 'capitalist' Mattress Mack is complaining about private developers. What is he? A secret Commie?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,536,223 times
Question Bus Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
If the members (property owners) of the Uptown District didn't think the improvements would increase their property values, they wouldn't be spending their precious funds on it. This thing is all about private development. Kind of ironic that the esteemed 'capitalist' Mattress Mack is complaining about private developers. What is he? A secret Commie?
I'm sure Mac knows whats best for Mac, and I bet there are other retail businesses, in the area, that feel the same as he does about this. I'm all for improvement but what I don't get about this plan is, why a bus lane, why not rail? Isn't the whole reason to use buses is that they roll on existing pavement ? Why tear everything up and cause this disruption for a bus lane....?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
While expanding the street and adding a busway is certainly not cheap, rail would be even more expensive still (that's probably rail's greatest drawback - it's really really expensive). The point of exclusive lanes is to significantly improve service, especially during rush hours. This applies to buses as much as rail. Think of the park and ride buses downtown - during rush hour they get dedicated lanes so that they don't have to sit in as much traffic. If these lanes connect directly to the HOT/HOV system (like they do downtown) then park and ride users get a much quicker trip than drivers who have to sit in traffic first on Post Oak Boulevard then on the freeways. Remember, this project is meant to serve primarily commuting employees (Uptown has 85,000 jobs), not urban shoppers or tourists. Though it could serve as local urban transit as well, that's not the main focus.

Plus Uptown wants frequent service, meaning transit vehicles coming by every few minutes during rush hour. If you're using buses in mixed traffic, would it be a good idea to block the outside lane with stopping buses that frequently? I imagine car drivers might find that a tad annoying. Wouldn't it be better to segregate those buses to their own busway where they've got no negative impact on general traffic?

And of course if the busway system is well-used enough, it could be justifiable to convert it to light rail at some point assuming funds are available.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,577,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm sure Mac knows whats best for Mac, and I bet there are other retail businesses, in the area, that feel the same as he does about this. I'm all for improvement but what I don't get about this plan is, why a bus lane, why not rail? Isn't the whole reason to use buses is that they roll on existing pavement ? Why tear everything up and cause this disruption for a bus lane....?
What i took from the article is that this "bus lane" is really just a way to expand ROW in the area and reserve space so that in the future they can more easily install light rail along the bus lanes, without having as much opposition. I think uptown got concerned when they didnt get funding for the uptown light rail line, so they decided to take matters into their own hands to ensure that light rail eventually comes to uptown. Which IMO is a smart move. Like Truth713 pointed out, traffic around the Galleria will reach a tipping point if nothing is done, driving people away from the area.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
As a native Houstonian, I've always viewed Jim McIngvale as the "poster child" for everything that is wrong with the city of Houston.

He represents the tackiness and total disregard for Houston as a "city form". His "empire" on I-45 is a tacky looking building fronting perhaps one of the ugliest freeway systems in America. His store is really nothing more than a trap to get people to finance his furniture. I went in there once and was amazed how many 'financing' stations he had. In my book, he is no different than the slum lords who preyed on the immigrants flooding into our north east cities. the only difference is that he uses 'credit' and tacky slogans as a way to attract people to his store so he can sell them something they can't afford. But YES it is capitalism.

And before you bash me Sure........ he has donated money to worthy causes which is very admirable. Also, he had a major hand in getting Reality Bites, and Side Kick filmed here (of course he got advertising in both) but we are talking about CITY BUILDING here.

I look at the great contributors like the Carnegies, Vanderbilts, Montgmery Wards, Guggehnheims, even the Hermanns and look at the absolute treasures they donated to cities. All we get from Mattress Mac is an editorial about how BAD Mass Transit is for Uptown and Why?

Because it could possibly hurt his Uptown location.

Didn't anyone take notice during the All Star break how desperate that area is for people movers via quick, efficient trains?? Houston's growth doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon so we'll all have to respond with a giant "I Told You So".

Thank you Matress Mac... at least we'll always have your landmark at 45 and Tidwell. We are so lucky.
Exactly when I think of Matress Mac I think of every tacky thing about Houston. The yeehaw tackyness of the city. Not the progressive beautiful but barley gets notice aspect of Houston. I can't knock a man for being a successful business man. But what does a guy who is King of Matresses know about city development? That whole area that the i-45 store is located at is an eyesore. Convenient for him since the tacky building is right off the freeway!!! You can't miss it.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
What i took from the article is that this "bus lane" is really just a way to expand ROW in the area and reserve space so that in the future they can more easily install light rail along the bus lanes, without having as much opposition. I think uptown got concerned when they didnt get funding for the uptown light rail line, so they decided to take matters into their own hands to ensure that light rail eventually comes to uptown. Which IMO is a smart move. Like Truth713 pointed out, traffic around the Galleria will reach a tipping point if nothing is done, driving people away from the area.
Exactly. Plus the Uptown line was suppose to be connected to the University Line. The uptown line alone can't support light rail,but if the university or inner Katy lines were built, then it easily good.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,598,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I like mac I think he has done alot for the city, but he is the old guard and guys that that tend to lack vision.. instead they want to stay in a comfort zone.. its not a bad thing its human nature after awhile we see any change as a threat

In his op peice he ignores uptowns own data which shows that unless change , it will start to hit a neg impact effect ..The streets conditions the traffic will start to drive people away from that area..
I think it has already happened. My understanding is that Memorial City Mall wasn't all that popular until recently.

Now it's jammed pack, and you have to wonder how many of those people are there because they don't want to put up with Uptown traffic.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,155,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think it has already happened. My understanding is that Memorial City Mall wasn't all that popular until recently.

Now it's jammed pack, and you have to wonder how many of those people are there because they don't want to put up with Uptown traffic.
exactly I call it the washington ave effect , why do we have to wait till . the areas see's a heavy decline then scabble to address the problem , you have known about for years..

I have traveled a bit and have never seen a city where at least the major business hubs where not connected...

I still dont understand why they choose to extend the northline rail before they bulit the uptown.. that was just backwards to me..

Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
exactly I call it the washington ave effect , why do we have to wait till . the areas see's a heavy decline then scabble to address the problem , you have known about for years..

I have traveled a bit and have never seen a city where at least the major business hubs where not connected...

I still dont understand why they choose to extend the northline rail before they bulit the uptown.. that was just backwards to me..
Because the uptown line depended on the university line. the uptown line alone cant support rail transit and it wouldn't be connected to anything. That's how important the university line is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston