Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,240,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Find out about your window glass and who made the windows. If it is LowE, you might void your warranty. Some say do not even use solar screens.
A house built in 2009 should have low-e glass. You do NOT want to put film on low-e glass. It operates counter to the way low-e works, and WILL void the warranty. If you ever have seal failure (AKA moisture in between the panes) or stress cracks, the instant the window company sees film they'll tell you no warranty.

Who was your builder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Why would that void a warranty?
See above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,244,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
A house built in 2009 should have low-e glass. You do NOT want to put film on low-e glass. It operates counter to the way low-e works, and WILL void the warranty. If you ever have seal failure (AKA moisture in between the panes) or stress cracks, the instant the window company sees film they'll tell you no warranty.
Why do I not want to put film on low-e glass? I specifically want to put security film (regardless of its energy properties) on my Master BR and BA windows, as that seems to be the method of choice these days for thugs to break into homes.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,011,251 times
Just do some research on your windows and make sure the film doesn't do anything to the properties of your low-e glass. If it voids a warranty then it is up to you if that concerns you. If you want security film, then the warranty may not matter. I don't think I've ever needed a warranty on my windows. My co-worker and his wife love their film (I don't know if he has low-e windows or not). They are happy they can feel a difference in the heat coming in plus the security. Now I know if you get clear security film, that is less expensive than security film that is also tinted to keep out heat.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,244,286 times
I haven't purchased yet and am looking at both older homes with single-pane and newer homes with the double pane low-E. I will put security film regardless of what I get, but I will just get regular clear security film if I end up with a newer house.

How much will putting the best tinted security film on a single-pane window bridge the gap between an uncoated single-pane and a standard modern double-pane low-E window?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,011,251 times
I don't know about that - you'd need to ask a window expert.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM

193 posts, read 340,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't know about that - you'd need to ask a window expert.
Everyone is an expert on city data

Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM

193 posts, read 340,473 times
This is simple. low-e glass usually has films (usually spray on) already applied. It usually does the job in terms of insulation and security because it does reflect sunlight pretty well (strong glare effect). It´s the drug dealers preferred choice, since it´s not obvious the window is purposely concealed. I don´t know anyone who has ever desired to add more filtration once it is in place besides a dimmer curtain.

The cheap stuff people are referring too is a simple broadband filter film, it makes everything darker in both directions. It is best useful when your outdoor environment isn´t visually appealing. Drug Dealers also like it.

If you need a film, the best stuff will have a UV and IR filter with a anti reflection coating on the inside and a reflective coating on the outside. It gives the best image on the inside, without allowing viewing from the outside while having excellent thermal properties. Drug Dealers like it as well.

Basically, this a drug dealing topic.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post
This is simple. low-e glass usually has films (usually spray on) already applied. It usually does the job in terms of insulation and security because it does reflect sunlight pretty well (strong glare effect).
This is an over-simplification, but kinda mostly sorta true.

Low-e is a coating applied when the glass is manufactured. It's not a spray-on in the sense of an aftermarket product, it's a coating that becomes a part of the glass. It's only used with insulated glass (which some people call double glazed, but that's an incorrect term), and it's always applied to an interior surface of one of the two panes.

It has the amazing property of allowing most of the visible light thru, while stopping a significant percent of UV and other rays. Visible light is not what heats up your house, it's the other rays that carry heat. And that's what low-e blocks. So unlike old-style tinted glass (anyone remember the days when bronze & gray glass were popular?) that works by blocking all rays but darkened the house, low-e keeps one's house bright.

It works by reflecting back outside the rays that create heat. If you put a film on the glass, those rays can be trapped in between the glass & the film. Even though film appears to be right on the glass, there is actually a small gap between the film & pane, maybe 1/1000 of an inch. That gap traps the UV rays that bounce back from the low-e, creating a hot pocket of air, and will increase the chance of seal failure significantly. That's why no window company will honor your warranty if you put film on their window.

Here is a snip from Anderson's warranty, and they have one of the best, most consumer-friendly warranties in the biz.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it necessary to install window film for 2009 house?-tint.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston