Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM

184 posts, read 315,353 times

Advertisements

Long story short; my wife and I offered the seller full price after speaking with them in person. They agreed that was the price they wanted. Now they say after talking they want to ask $17K higher than the full asking price!
What up with that?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM

8,653 posts, read 9,176,393 times
You're kidding? That is why a realtor may suit your best interest.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM

355 posts, read 915,527 times
How is the price compared to what the market is bringing? If your price was fair, I'd walk,
They are being greedy pigs and have $$ signs in their eyes hearing that there is a housing recovery.
Tell them to call you when they are being realistic.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM

355 posts, read 915,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You're kidding? That is why a realtor may suit your best interest.
That can happen with or without a realtor.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM

191 posts, read 774,838 times
Seriously, what? Personally, I'd walk. There are so many great houses on the market, don't put yourself through it. No doubt, if you agreed to their higher price, they'd come back with something else. If you don't have a realtor, you need to get one fast. Good Luck with your house purchase!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,776,913 times
Normal in a hot market. The list price is a suggested price - not an offer.

The first offer (usually, not always) comes from the buyer.

If there is a multiple offer scenario there could be a few rounds before a price is agreed to - sometimes substantially higher than list.

Sometimes a property is listed at lower than FMV to generate interest. If it's a good property in a hot neighborhood it can result in a bidding war and end up going substantially over list.

This can happen regardless of whether buyer has a realtor.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,776,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
How is the price compared to what the market is bringing? If your price was fair, I'd walk,
They are being greedy pigs and have $$ signs in their eyes hearing that there is a housing recovery.
Tell them to call you when they are being realistic.
All sellers are entitled to maximize value on their house. It's probably their most important asset - why wouldn't you want to maximize this? You can call it greed if you like - but it's also perfectly rational.

The seller may have realized list is undervalued or may have adopted an approach of aggressive pricing to generate interest. This makes them no more or less greedy than any other seller on the market.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM

8,653 posts, read 9,176,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
That can happen with or without a realtor.
That's true but apparently the OP is a bit freaked about it, but not a pro, who would know the local market prices and know how to negotiate quickly, know exactly what to say and deal with sellers and buyers.

What the op is experiencing is what I do not want to experience. That is why I hire realtors to deal with people I have no interest in haggling with.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM

45,578 posts, read 60,945,454 times
If the buyer offers full asking and the sellers reject it don't they owe their agent full commission?

As others have said, walk.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM

184 posts, read 315,353 times
Have a realtor and he is working fervently to get the seller back to his original asking price. It was just wild to hear. Offered them full asking with nothing else, just had to pass inspection with no major issues and then they decide to ask $17K higher. I know it's their right but that's messed up. The house was visually a mess and has been on the market almost a year. It also needs about $20K worth of work, which we were fine with putting in, but not at the higher price. We're just waiting now to see his final response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: