Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times

Advertisements

Various "reporters" like to grab the latest fragments of data from the government -- and elsewhere -- from which they can weave stories to satisfy their employers (and perhaps their egos). But ... sometimes one sees short-term data coming out at about the same time that seem to confound simple co-interpretation. Perhaps in hindsight, with observations over more time, things will become easier to interpret.

For example:

According to the Dallas Morning News (citing U.S. Census Bureau), in the one-year period starting in July 2011, "The (DFW) region added almost 132,000 people during that period, according to census estimates. The Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land metropolitan area was second, adding more than 125,000 people."

Yet, for the year starting October 2011, other data just released (e.g., at Dallas Area Employment) cites an increase in non-farm employment of 66,400 in DFW vs. 95,800 in Houston.

I'm not going to argue about the relative merits of these two cities. However, it's interesting to speculate on whether it is meaningful to compare these two bits of data (since they are from close, but non-identical 1-year time periods) and ponder what they imply. Does it reflect DFW having better PR? More farm employment (I doubt the difference is significant)? More people with relatively bigger families migrating there? More people looking for jobs there and not finding them?

One quick conclusion that I'd draw is that it's probably not worth getting too excited about headlines like these in local papers that mainly try to pander to local egos. The Houston paper writes articles to accentuate the positive about Houston, the papers in the rest of Texas accentuate the positive about Dallas. Nothing new there :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
apart from the larger employment , you can look at larger GDP growth, and more housing units.

I just don't see Houston adding that more, jobs, that larger economy growth, more housing units and somehow add less people for two estimates straight.

The unemployment rate between the two are almost identical, so it can't be that DFW is adding 10,000 more people and creating 30,000 less jobs. Either their unemployment rate would be thrown off or the estimate is flawed.

Last decade they over estimated DFW by about 200K and underestimated Houston by over 100K. Thats a 300k difference or 30K a year. It looks like the estimate is oddly mirroring the job deficit.

More than Likely Houston gained about 135,000 and DFW gained about 112,000 last year. That would keep in line with the housing numbers too.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I think is hilarious that the media talks about this as "We are doing great in Houston!!!"
I see it as the opposite, more people, more problems.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think is hilarious that the media talks about this as "We are doing great in Houston!!!"
I see it as the opposite, more people, more problems.
The news didn't see it as great tonight.

They were talking about more congested roads and infrastructure not being able to keep up with the fast growing population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston