Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 10,503 times

Advertisements

I am about to get out of the Army. I was all set to start a Private Security contract overseas, untill the sequestration halted that idea. So know i'm back to the drawing board, and I have had several friends who suggest looking for work on the rigs. The problem is that the advice as far as salary and how to get hired is all over the place.

Bottom line is this: I don't at all mind hard work as long as the pay is good. What is a realistic estimate for entry level work on the off shore rigs? I'm hearing in the upwards of $100k for 2-on/2-off sort of scheducle. Is this anywhere near realistic? Also, tell me about promotion. I have zero experience in the O&G industry, but it sounds like there is a lot of room for promotion, I definitely have the necessary leadership experience, just missing the job knowledge/certification.

When I look at sites like rigzone, all I see are positions for people with far more diect experience than me. How do I get my foot in the door, especially being that I am currently stationed in GA, so I can't just walk down to the office. If anyone has any first hand advice, it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,813,769 times
I haven't worked on rigs but I know people who have. I'm pretty sure you need a couple years experience before you can make 100k there but it is certainly doable once you get your foot in the door. If you don't know anyone in the business who can refer you it is tough to break into O&G. Look at the companies posting for those more experienced positions and call them and ask if they are willing to take on someone entry level you never know.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,939,899 times
Maybe this could help:

Veterans' Services - Program Overview - Texas Workforce Commission

Old 03-12-2013, 03:43 PM

74 posts, read 125,219 times
I've never worked on the rigs either, but I've worked in oil. I think making six figures is mainly for people with specialized skills -- mud engineers, company men, etc. Roustabout (the entry level) is hard work, but it sounds like you're in good condition and could handle it. I'm guesstimating (so I may be way off), but I would think $15/hr might be a reasonable starting pay for someone with no experience.

I'm not sure about offshore work, but it seems logical to me that they would want experienced people out there. The stakes are a lot higher, both in terms of money and lives (as Deepwater Horizon proved). Also, I don't know about every rig company, but at the ones I worked at, offshore work was more commonly a 4 week/4 week or 5 week/5 week schedule.

You might start checking for land rig jobs. That might be an easier entry point. North Dakota is getting a lot of press. Parts of West Texas are doing well. I think they're more likely to give you a 2/2 schedule.

If you can work your way up, it sounds like you also might be a candidate for international work. They can usually hire locals for the low level work like roustabout, but the management people are often Americans. If you're willing to work in rough areas (Nigeria, undesirable parts of the Middle East, secluded areas of Russia, etc) and keep the 4/4 or 5/5 schedule, you can make decent money on a rig (combined with hazard pay/tough duty pay/etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston