Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM

366 posts, read 798,290 times

Advertisements

I actually refer to it as ROOMBA. Sounds better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,527,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Lol I just call that Neartown. How strange. Abromo sounds like something out of how to try to be NYC handbook. I guess Im still getting used EaDo. Montrose is technically a section of Neartown though.
I still call Uptown the Galleria area. Growing up in that area,I never warmed to Uptown. But, its personality has changed so much the past five years, it does fit.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,296,181 times
Default Houston schools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Regarding the changing schools, could you elaborate? How did they change for the better? How long did it take?

Thanks.
I'm referring to HISD, but namely the areas that have gentrified recently. It has taken a while, at least a decade, but the most change has been recent, between five and ten years, and they are still getting better. Some schools now have waiting lists. HISD is an open enrollment system and in fact, the school where my kids go, 95% (yes, ninety five) commute; they don't live in the zone, most of them come in from the Heights. As the young kids grow up and populate the high schools, you will see even greater acheivement.

As I alluded to earlier, I think the main reason the schools have improved is the changing demographics which bring in more educated parents who take an interest in their child's education, and thus get more involved with the school. PTA, volunteering, mentoring, etc.

For those who live in the suburbs, you will not notice, but the inner loop density is getting greater each month. Back in the 80s and 90s, people fled to the suburbs because of the schools mostly, and crime. A lot of that has changed and areas which were once crime ridden are no more. Even areas around Dallas/Taft which used to be bad is tame these days and most crime being petty, or five finger variety, you know, if it is not bolted on your porch, it may be gone... if you don't have a fence that is.

Unfortunately though, the gentrification has also displaced a lot of the poor/immigrant population that used to live in the area, they just could not afford to live there anymore. If you go down Dallas, there is a plaque to let you know you are in a historic neighborhood called 'Freedmens Town'. I do remember that plaque decades ago, but it is not the same place I see today. A lot of nice new developments, million dollar lofts, etc. It is ironic to see the sign now, it seems out of place when you stop and look around. And when you see the million dollar view of downtown from that vantage point, you can understand why things have changed.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,296,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz10 View Post
Wow @HTBU - awesome info. Don't worry about the length - more info for me!

And I have definitely seen the Montrose places come and go. We've been casually looking and our 3 favorites were all gone within 3 days of being listed.

I'm sure you don't want to be too specific, but what is the closest intersection to where you guys live? You're the first person that has mentioned kids being remotely common in any area of montrose, so I definitely want to have an idea of where you are talking about.

The things you discuss (biking with son, walking to greek fest, taking metro to Hermann, everything being within 10-15 minutes) is exactly what we want. I'll probably end up sending you a direct message if you don't mind.

SPITZ', theSUBlime hit the nail on the head, we live within those boundaries he called Neartown. We did not seek that out however, but it was a nice and welcomed surprise since we moved there at the end of the school year last year, so we did not know any familes, but noticed a lot of kids out riding bikes, or going for walks after moving in. If you go too far east, the crowd is much younger and more bars, no kids, if you go further west, you'll find older/childless homeowners and more bars. It was a coincidence for us I guess.

Speaking of walks, there were people walking in Katy, but excercising more than anything, and maybe a few at the most late in the evening, but not on weekends. As you noticed, the vibe in Montrose is different. I can look out the window any day of the week, and see at a minimum a dozen people walk by each day, just talking, walking their dogs, riding bikes, etc. And on the weekends, even more people and families riding bikes together. I've also seen groups of adults riding in clusters just checking out the neighborhood and having a good time. I even see the occassional skater group that skates by. I even have come across a group of photographers just snapping photos of everything they saw. Everyone is very friendly, and you can strike up conversations with them easily.

I think the Montrose is as close as you'll get to the urban city experience that you see in other cities, such as that in Europe. I think Montrose was voted one of the best walkable neighborhoods in the country last year, it certainly is for Houston.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I'm referring to HISD, but namely the areas that have gentrified recently. It has taken a while, at least a decade, but the most change has been recent, between five and ten years, and they are still getting better. Some schools now have waiting lists. HISD is an open enrollment system and in fact, the school where my kids go, 95% (yes, ninety five) commute; they don't live in the zone, most of them come in from the Heights. As the young kids grow up and populate the high schools, you will see even greater acheivement.

As I alluded to earlier, I think the main reason the schools have improved is the changing demographics which bring in more educated parents who take an interest in their child's education, and thus get more involved with the school. PTA, volunteering, mentoring, etc.

For those who live in the suburbs, you will not notice, but the inner loop density is getting greater each month. Back in the 80s and 90s, people fled to the suburbs because of the schools mostly, and crime. A lot of that has changed and areas which were once crime ridden are no more. Even areas around Dallas/Taft which used to be bad is tame these days and most crime being petty, or five finger variety, you know, if it is not bolted on your porch, it may be gone... if you don't have a fence that is.

Unfortunately though, the gentrification has also displaced a lot of the poor/immigrant population that used to live in the area, they just could not afford to live there anymore. If you go down Dallas, there is a plaque to let you know you are in a historic neighborhood called 'Freedmens Town'. I do remember that plaque decades ago, but it is not the same place I see today. A lot of nice new developments, million dollar lofts, etc. It is ironic to see the sign now, it seems out of place when you stop and look around. And when you see the million dollar view of downtown from that vantage point, you can understand why things have changed.

Thank you for your detailed reply; I'll be one of those people you see walking around checking out the neighborhood (was at the Greek festival watching our friends' daughter perform). Gentrification is a two-edged sword, and it's always sad when the decent hard-working natives are forced out of the community they built. What is the solution??

Sounds like an area my family and I would like to live in, if only the commute would allow for it

Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 12,740 times
Update:

Was out and about this weekend around all the areas. Unfortunately, it was a gloomy day saturday so it didn't seem like too many people were out. We definitely love the area near Cherryhurst Park the most, followed by the area between Shepherd and Dunlavy. Problem is there is just next to nothing available around there for less than 500k. If we decide that's the only place we'd move, there would definitely be a waiting game involved.

I keep trying to convince myself I like the heights, but it still just doesn't feel enough like the city to me. If I had kids already, I'm sure I'd feel differently, but for now at least, it just seems like its too far removed from what we want.

One other wild card that keeps creeping up is Rice Military - specifically the square between westcott, washington, shepherd/durham, and memorial. It's overwhelmingly townhomes, not a ton of side walks, and not close to any of our favorite places. But it does have some big advantages for us (further west and close to I-10 for our commutes, pretty central location to tons of stuff), and most importantly some places more in our price range. Any feedback on kids/families in this area?

And thats funny you mention Europe, HTBU, since our trip there this past summer is what really peaked our interest in moving into town, specifically Montrose. Good to know it at least somewhat reminds you of that.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM

561 posts, read 973,833 times
Props to the OP.. for bucking the old trend of married couples moving out to the suburbs, and taking a chance on the city. And for getting out of your comfort zone.

It seems like more and more couples are looking to live in the more progressive and liberal parts of the city, and are willing to take a chance in an up and coming neighborhood. However, this causes the prices in these areas to rise rapidly.

OP: Have you tried zillow.com? you can find alot of great information about housing and the recent home price trends.

Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 AM

124 posts, read 320,858 times
If you are still considering Garden Oaks / Oak Forest then maybe have a look at it's southwest side mirror image: Westbury / Willowbend. While we may lack in the "cool" factor at the moment, I think you would still appreciate the authentic "Houston" feel. Maybe not as dense as you would like, but still worth a look IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: