Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,014 times

Advertisements

- So laid back

- Seemingly embraces anyone and everyone

- People can just do their own thing...it doesnt feel over regulated at all

- Every amenity one can really ask for

- Cool weather

- Incredible food/restaurant scene.

- a lot of quirky areas

- always seem to be developing something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
I've lived in Boston, Seattle and Denver -- but only in Houston could I have had such a great career (oil/gas). Houston is truly the land of opportunity.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoota View Post
The food, Montrose, Williams Tower, Lynn Wyatt, a large gay population full of professionals, the areas down on the water, Discovery Green, Memorial Park and all the development going up.
Lynn Wyatt as a reason to love Houston?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,277 times
I live on the West side and work on the east. Damned if that downtown skyline doesn't get me every time I drive by it. Often when I come home just after dark, I'll drive north up San Jacinto through the downtown just to see it up close. The people are pretty great too.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM

293 posts, read 910,092 times
I think the thing I may like best about Houston is that it seems to be getting better all the time.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
I like the fact how the hap hazard patch work of Houston is constantly evolving. Nothing stays the same very long so boredom is almost non existent. If you don't live there & visit often you see what I'm talking about. In 6 months time a whole city block could be bull dozed & transform into something else totally different. Its like Sim City in hyper drive. A lot of cities like to hold onto their past, something Houston doesn't do very well.

I also like how its a mish mash, a melting pot of cultures from all over the world. Try finding a foreign language that isn't spoken in Houston.

The location is also cool...not literally. Its on the coast & has a coastal feel, yet its truly Texan at heart with a bit of Cajun/Creole influence thrown in the mix due to its close proximity to Southeastern Louisiana.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-05-2013 at 08:59 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,839,465 times
I still remember seeing Jimi Hendrix at the Coliseum. Unforgettable experience.Coming into town early, before the sun is up, looking at all the lights in the buildings with my surf buddy, making our way to LaBranch,, going through town, and finally getting on 288 to head to Freeport. My Dad flying he and I over downtown at night . Absolutely spellbinding for a 14 year old kid. These are memories, not current, but things I will always keep close. Houston is a special place to me.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM

405 posts, read 823,306 times
Super friendly people, very culturally diverse with an international feel, great food, strong economy, and always something to do.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM

561 posts, read 972,961 times
Theres nothing like having a thread to make up for self-esteem issues.

But I'll bite...

I like Herman Park, awesome place to run.
Food, lots of places to eat.
Open freeways and easy access to roads.
Diversity of people.
Jobs, plenty of them, and things are only looking better.
.. and probably a few more things, but these are the things I like, and I find theaters and museums boring so I didnt list them but for some thats another positive.

Definately better and MUCH more beautiful cities in the country than Houston, but hey, definitely not a bad place to be!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM

48 posts, read 82,578 times
Just chiming in to say THANKS for this thread! We are researching moving to the area & Houston is sounding better & better all the time! I was TERRIFIED of moving from our current city, have lived here for 13 years. However, I've never really "loved" it, just finally came to be comfortable here.

After starting to research the area I suddenly started to feel like maybe this is where we belong. What I am hoping is true about the people: friendly, laid back, "devil may care", live & let live attitude. Looking forward to living near the ocean.

Keep the comments coming, I'm loving this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston