Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM

951 posts, read 1,455,977 times

Advertisements

I have a family member living in Galleria area. He owns a townhouse and the other day we were talking about how real estate taxes were high etc. While talking, I logged into www.hcad.org and checked out his real estate taxes and I was surprised to see his townhouse is priced at 300K when the market price is ~400K

I asked him how on earth is this possible. He said he hired a company and every year for the last 4-5 years his taxable value is dropping.

I said "this is impossible, house prices going up every year in houston". He said "he hired a company and he pays them 1/3 of the reduction that they can get from the county and said anybody can do that.

Is this legal? I mean I know that the market value will never be same as taxable value but 100K difference?

Something fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:45 PM

469 posts, read 1,102,544 times
It's 100% legal. These companies do the same thing you can do yourself. They pull comps for your area and protest the appraised value. They get between 1/3 and 1/2 of the tax savings you receive. I have used one every year. Just do not go with O'Conner and Associates. They are terrible and have been in the news for not even showing up for people's protests. They did it to me and tried to tell me that thy showed up an didn't get any savings yet the next common I used dropped over 10%.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 PM

958 posts, read 2,577,119 times
I do it myself every year, those who are too lazy will pay higher taxes than those who protest it every year.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,273,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
It's 100% legal. These companies do the same thing you can do yourself. They pull comps for your area and protest the appraised value. They get between 1/3 and 1/2 of the tax savings you receive. I have used one every year. Just do not go with O'Conner and Associates. They are terrible and have been in the news for not even showing up for people's protests. They did it to me and tried to tell me that thy showed up an didn't get any savings yet the next common I used dropped over 10%.
Another major problem with these companies who protest your taxes for you is that its quite common for them to get too good of a deal....They may get a 30% reduction in year 1, but in year 2, the district can come back and say it was an error, increase your taxes back to the pre-reduced prices and then tack on that years gains....It happened to me.

When you go back to the reduction company and say they reversed your decision last year, they will not refund you the "savings"

Its easy to do yourself, but it will take half a day of your life away....just be careful with who you choose if you let someone do it for you...They are all shady if you ask me.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM

24,037 posts, read 15,144,070 times
Be sure to pull up the comps that HCAD is using for your house. Some don't make sense.

We protest every year, trying to keep ours one of the lowest per square foot in the subdivision. Last year, the values took a really big hit. Not ours. When went went to the ARB we were told it was because we protested regularly, even though the market values were in line with the entire subdivision. If your appraisal ends with an even number, they know you protest.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,062,070 times
On this subject, I spaced it and missed the deadline to protest last year's assessment online. Is it too late to do it now, through some more onerous process? They raised it a lot.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 PM

112 posts, read 208,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
On this subject, I spaced it and missed the deadline to protest last year's assessment online. Is it too late to do it now, through some more onerous process? They raised it a lot.
You should look into filing a value abatement or a tax abatement. You should still be within the deadline periods. You would probably want to contact the counties Homestead department or the Assessors office for the paperwork and the guidelines. If that fails the next step is usually tax court which can be a pain. We have them here in St Paul MN and it seems from the website you also have them in Houston. Sorry if I happen to be misinformed. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,062,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
You should look into filing a value abatement or a tax abatement. You should still be within the deadline periods. You would probably want to contact the counties Homestead department or the Assessors office for the paperwork and the guidelines. If that fails the next step is usually tax court which can be a pain. We have them here in St Paul MN and it seems from the website you also have them in Houston. Sorry if I happen to be misinformed. Good luck.
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM

15 posts, read 54,309 times
Any recommendation for a company that can used to file the protest?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 AM

340 posts, read 803,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Another major problem with these companies who protest your taxes for you is that its quite common for them to get too good of a deal....They may get a 30% reduction in year 1, but in year 2, the district can come back and say it was an error, increase your taxes back to the pre-reduced prices and then tack on that years gains....It happened to me.

When you go back to the reduction company and say they reversed your decision last year, they will not refund you the "savings"

Its easy to do yourself, but it will take half a day of your life away....just be careful with who you choose if you let someone do it for you...They are all shady if you ask me.

If you it yourself, what type of information do you take with you to support your claims? Especially if your house is already lower than most of the comps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston