Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,284,165 times

Advertisements

Financially, it is ALWAYS more expensive to lease there are no exceptions to this rule. If you like to buy new cars frequently, then it is very convenient to lease. It is also nice that you know exactly what you will get when you turn the car back in. But do not play any kind of mental gymnastics to believe that you will ever save any money at all leasing vs buying. What you save is the hassle of selling a car while also buying a new one. If you can put a dollar value on that, then whatever dollar value you put on the convenience of not having to sell/trade in, etc - that is the premium for the lease.

Dont confuse a lease being more expensive than buying with lowering your overall costs though. You could get a better more fuel efficient vehicle than you currently have and save money on fuel...but no matter what you do, no matter what your lease price is, the dealers will make more money on a lease car than a new car and you will pay more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM

538 posts, read 1,367,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamCraigHenry View Post
Whew!!! So trucks are out. lol.
He has no choice, really. He has to carry around ladders. He's also a firefighter and has to drive about 80 miles round trip to the station. Between that, and two inspections a day on his off days, he puts on some miles.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM

98 posts, read 205,856 times
hahahaha @cbink you are hilarious.

@HoustonBornNRaised So you don't like the IS. That's interesting because my friend traded in her IS and got a Nissan Murano I think it's called.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Financially, it is ALWAYS more expensive to lease there are no exceptions to this rule. If you like to buy new cars frequently, then it is very convenient to lease. It is also nice that you know exactly what you will get when you turn the car back in. But do not play any kind of mental gymnastics to believe that you will ever save any money at all leasing vs buying. What you save is the hassle of selling a car while also buying a new one. If you can put a dollar value on that, then whatever dollar value you put on the convenience of not having to sell/trade in, etc - that is the premium for the lease.

Dont confuse a lease being more expensive than buying with lowering your overall costs though. You could get a better more fuel efficient vehicle than you currently have and save money on fuel...but no matter what you do, no matter what your lease price is, the dealers will make more money on a lease car than a new car and you will pay more money.
I purchased about three cars in between my first round of leasing, and the round I'm in now. What made me consider my last lease, was the fact that the car I was driving, was rear-ended. When it was rear-ended, the value went down on it, since Nissan couldn't sell it as a certified Nissan. Even though it had less than 30k miles on it, it went to auction.

We went after the other person's insurance company for depreciated value, but we still ended up being upside down in it. Using Mickey Math, I figured it was better to tack that money onto a lease, than a purchase. That way when the lease was over, I was done, versus owning a car that I'd spent more on, than it was worth. It all made sense at the time.

Somehow I ended up leasing again though. My husband always buys. He tells me this is my last lease. We'll see about that...

Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM

well @marksmu you have officially put a damper on my day. lol.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM

I am actually going through that same issue @HoustonBornNRaised. I bought my BMW a year ago. Got rear ended in November. Just got my trade in value at BMW and I can tell you, I'm pissed. They say the accident dropped the value WAY down. If that is the case, then I will seriously consider purchasing a BMW again.

So I am really looking to cut my loses and try to minimize a monthly payment increase.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
hahahaha @cbink you are hilarious.

@HoustonBornNRaised So you don't like the IS. That's interesting because my friend traded in her IS and got a Nissan Murano I think it's called.
Can't stand it.

It feels like I'm dragging it along, versus the GS taking me for a ride. I think it's cute, but other than the emblem on the steering wheel and the rims, it could be any ol' car.

If I get my way, I'll get back into another GS in six months. If my husband gets his way, I'll be staying in the IS and buying something cheap when the lease is up. If anyone wants to start taking bets to see who wins, I'll let you know.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,252,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
Can't stand it.

It feels like I'm dragging it along, versus the GS taking me for a ride. I think it's cute, but other than the emblem on the steering wheel and the rims, it could be any ol' car.

If I get my way, I'll get back into another GS in six months. If my husband gets his way, I'll be staying in the IS and buying something cheap when the lease is up. If anyone wants to start taking bets to see who wins, I'll let you know.
My money is on you.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Mine as well

Old 03-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I am actually going through that same issue @HoustonBornNRaised. I bought my BMW a year ago. Got rear ended in November. Just got my trade in value at BMW and I can tell you, I'm pissed. They say the accident dropped the value WAY down. If that is the case, then I will seriously consider purchasing a BMW again.

So I am really looking to cut my loses and try to minimize a monthly payment increase.
Yeah, those are the little things a LOT of people don't realize when their car is wrecked. Number one, get it appraised and file a depreciated value claim. Number two, don't expect the same thing at trade in, because the dealer won't be able to sell it certified, since it's been wrecked.

FWIW, I talked to a lady at the carwash back when I had my GS. She drove the same car you have. We were sitting there watching our cars being detailed and she was asking me about mine and how I liked it. She said she'd always wanted one, but she was hit head on in a 3 Series BMW and she survived what should have been a fatal accident. She said she'll never own anything else now.

Last edited by HoustonBornNRaised; 03-01-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston