Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM

19 posts, read 23,174 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Houston around June 2014 from Dayton, Ohio. We are going on a look-see/ fact-finding trip to Houston near the end of March 2013. We want to get as much information about the city so that we can make an informed decision before our move. We have started a list of things to accomplish while there. Is there anything we left out, or things anyone can suggest we add to the list? Thank you for any help you can give.

1. Visit different neighborhoods
2. Look for apartments
3. Find local job center/bank
4. get: newspaper, apt guide, phone book
5. DMV: driver's handbook, pricing, car tag registration costs etc
6. PO BOX: pricing
7. Public Transportation info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM

97 posts, read 145,918 times
Hi! I didn't get a ton of help when I asked this question (excepting one great answer), but I think I asked on the weekend. I hope you have more luck, I'll be watching. Here was my thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...l#post27859571

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM

58 posts, read 94,537 times
Primary Services, Burnett Staffing, Manpower and Adecco are some of the local employment agencies. Some of the agencies have close relationships with the oil and gas companies too. Good way to get your foot in the door.

The apartment guides are a start, but you can also pick up a Greensheet at a local grocery store and some restaurants. They have many apartments and houses for rent in it. You can also use a good old realtor. Relators also can find apartments for newcomers and won't cost you anything. Here's the website for the Greensheet: https://www.hctra.org/ If your interested in renting a home, you can search on Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors: HAR.com. If you find a few you like, just call a realtor and they can set up appointments while your in town to view them.

There isn't a great deal of public transportation here in Houston. If you live out in the suburbs, there are metro buses that can take you into downtown and other areas. There are some bus runs, but I haven't heard great things about them.

Here's the website for Texas driver's information. TxDPS - Your Texas Drivers License / ID

Also, we use Tollways here. You should stop and get an EZ tag so that you can get on the Sam Houston and Westpark Tollways. They are very important to get around. There are several stores around town. You pay maybe $50 to purchase this tag that goes in your window that is loaded with some tolls. Then it allows you to drive through the EX tag lanes. It's much faster and easier. Here's the website for that: https://www.hctra.org/

UPS is good because you will have a real street address. They don't use PO boxes. They have an address that uses like an apartment number. It looks better on the resume.

Here's the newcomer's website which you can order magazines for specific locations in Houston, depending on where you want to move once you figure that out.
Moving or Relocating to Houston? | Free Relocation Resources

I moved here four years ago from Chicago and love it.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM

Thank both of you for all that good information! Nugget_Brain, I went to your link and read your list and added some things to mine off of yours. Thank you for sharing.

LoraMao, you have given me plenty to chew on, read and research. You are a great help. If you have a website for your business please send a link to my account here. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM

292 posts, read 1,067,512 times
You might also want to determine your budget for housing. I had a couple come in today to tour with me that thought they could get a 2x2 apartment in Katy in a good complex for 1k of less. They soon realized they have to up that to get a good community.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks JLB001. I have been apartment hunting on the web and it doesn't look good. I put in our absolute max and what turned up was dreadful !

I was under the impression that the south as a whole, had very inexpensive rent prices. Boy, was I wrong. Where I currently live, you can live downtown in a building with secure access 2x1, rooftop pool, next to the museum and the theater district for $500. And out in the suburbs near the mall you can get a 3x2 in a saught after neighborhood for $600.

But a positive way of looking at this is it will motivate us to buy a house sooner. Im one of those people that refuse to pay rental prices that are as high or higher than a mortgage.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM

292 posts, read 1,067,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rese5ft10 View Post
Thanks JLB001. I have been apartment hunting on the web and it doesn't look good. I put in our absolute max and what turned up was dreadful !

I was under the impression that the south as a whole, had very inexpensive rent prices. Boy, was I wrong. Where I currently live, you can live downtown in a building with secure access 2x1, rooftop pool, next to the museum and the theater district for $500. And out in the suburbs near the mall you can get a 3x2 in a saught after neighborhood for $600.

But a positive way of looking at this is it will motivate us to buy a house sooner. Im one of those people that refuse to pay rental prices that are as high or higher than a mortgage.

I have a 2x1 where I work in the sought after Katy schools...third floor $1003.

You might want to enlist a good apt locator once you determine the area you want to live. They can find places for you at no cost to you. With locators they will send you to usually the places that pay them 100% commissions so be sure to look in the areas they send you as well for places not on the list they provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: