Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,408 times

Advertisements

22 year old African American woman with a 2 year old son looking to relocate to Houston after graduation. My major is in professional communications with a concentration in public relations I have some experience in my field but not a lot. I currently work as a special education assistant in a level three center based classroom working with children who have developmental cognitive disabilities I also have years experience as a certified nursing assistant and an executive administrative assistant. I would not move until I found a job, preferably one in the communications field but I am open to moving with just a job to hold me over until I landed a career. So with all of that being said. What is the best way to search for a job out of state? Whrich would be a great neighborhood for a single mother with a toddler child? Minneapolis is relatively small in comparison to Houston so I would like to keep my commuting time down as low as possible. I can afford $800 - $950 but would prefer to stay on the lower end so that I can save more. What are some great things to do on the weekend's with toddlers? And where can I find mommy/child play groups or support groups? Any other valuable information is welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,252,507 times
Work in Texas dot com < no space, dot is a dot. Search all jobs, use key words such as 'Houston', and job words. Work In Texas is provided by the Texas Work Force Commission, a state agency.

Preferred areas to live are generally west, northwest and north. Find I-10 and I-45, that's your quadrant. There are areas within that quad that may not be preferred, but it'll get you started. There are other areas as well, inquire as needed. Suburban growth is beyond loops and belts so consider further out as you seach. Location is everything, commutes can be lifestyle buster.

If a job search shows an address for a company, or if you can look it up, then you can use the zip code in a google map search to show the general location of that address.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,408 times
@willsson thanks for the info!!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM

58 posts, read 94,848 times
You can try indeed.com too. That's how I found a job. There are many jobs in the energy corridor with BP, Conoco Philips, and Shell. They use employment agencies to bring people in, so you may try to get registered with a temporary agency too like Primary Services, Adecco, and Manpower. Search for employment agencies in 77043 area code. That is close to that area. It is always best to find the job first and then housing. The traffic can be terrible in the morning and you don't want to live too far from your work. Finding you an apartment or house to rent will be a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: