Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

Its time to pack up and leave!!! Houston is my top pick because I still want to live in the city, not to far from the beach, plenty of shopping, dinning, and night-life options, education and its warm year round!!! Plus im finding out that the job market is still booming down there. I want to come down for a visit first b4 i make it official, but i dont exactly know how to go about doing that. Is it better to find a realtor to help me find an apartment or should i just plan to stay about 2 weeks and just look on my own asking everyone i come across about the community? Im also NOT RICH, so is it very likely to find a job quicky down there or is it all just talk???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM

98 posts, read 205,285 times
Well, me being one I'm a little biased. So take my opinion how you want to. Realtors don't only help people find homes or market homes. They also help clients find leases and even find apartments. My first client was a $907 apartment in the Woodlands. That being said, if you are a person who doesn't mind the search for an apartment and actually tends to enjoy it, then certainly strike out on your own.

Best of luck!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley1 View Post
Its time to pack up and leave!!! Houston is my top pick because I still want to live in the city, not to far from the beach, plenty of shopping, dinning, and night-life options, education and its warm year round!!! Plus im finding out that the job market is still booming down there. I want to come down for a visit first b4 i make it official, but i dont exactly know how to go about doing that. Is it better to find a realtor to help me find an apartment or should i just plan to stay about 2 weeks and just look on my own asking everyone i come across about the community? Im also NOT RICH, so is it very likely to find a job quicky down there or is it all just talk???
Can't be worse then Detroit.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM

58 posts, read 94,509 times
You can use a realtor or you can find some housing on your own using the Greensheet, which is a small newspaper that has apartments and rooms for rent. You can find it at a lot of grocery stores at the front. Some restaurants carry it too. It's free. The only advantage to using a realtor is that they know the areas much better and can help you find the perfect location depending on what type of housing you want based on the job you may get. Houston is a huge area.

For jobs, you can get registered with one of the temporary agencies. They can help get your foot in the door at some of the bigger oil companies. If your more of a construction person, then you can get with a temporary agency that takes care of those types of jobs. It all depends on the type of work you do.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM

183 posts, read 380,842 times
Quote:
Ive never understood how someone can just pack up and move to a city, sight unseen. That is a very risky move especially not having a job here yet. And being close to the beach is not that big of a plus here...unless you fish a lot. The beaches around Houston are not scenic at all

Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM

58 posts, read 130,643 times
If you dont own a house, tons of stuff that is better moved than sold, have a really well paying job with benefits, or strong ties to one city the risk of moving is pretty low. Worst thing is you waste a few hundred dollars more than you would have but can justify that if you had a good few week vacation if you do not like it. Depends on your situation. If you own a house, have a family of 5 invested in the schools, a job with great benefits, and are financially secure, you are less likely to want to move in the first place, let a lone just up and jump ship. Unless your job is virtual or your kids home schooled/used to moving.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM

427 posts, read 948,297 times
Quote:
What is your educational background and profession? That would help regarding answering your employment prospects.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,901,335 times
Quote:
Come on down, just remember that Texas is what it is because it's a conservative red state, and Michigan is what it is because it's a liberal blue state.

(Remember that when you cast your vote at the polls in Texas)

Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM

58 posts, read 130,643 times
Most of Michigan is awfully red. Detroit isnt except certain suburbs, but a lot of the rest of Michigan is not too red, there just is not many people in the rest of Michigan. I would say it is definitely purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston