Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I was just on Wasington ave. a couple of week ago on a saturday night and it was well packed in the streets and around the food trucks well after 2:30 am. One club that has some racist habits shut down and now it's a question of Wash. ave being the new Richmond? Hell, Richmond is not even dead they have plenty of clubs,hang out spots,etc. where ppl go to hang out on a friday-sunday night. Just other areas of activity has popped up as well.
What hang out spots are there on Richmond besides strip clubs? I live down the street from the old "Richmond strip" and most of the places people used to go are closed down, even the Horn is now closed down. You have a few stragglers that are still holding on like Dave and busters and Scott's, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
I don't think Washington ave is done yet, but I do believe White Oak will take its place in a few years and not Upper Kirby, as UK has shown a very heavy resistance to this type of development. Also, it is just much more difficult to find parking or properties to turn into bars in UK.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I don't think Washington ave is done yet, but I do believe White Oak will take its place in a few years and not Upper Kirby, as UK has shown a very heavy resistance to this type of development. Also, it is just much more difficult to find parking or properties to turn into bars in UK.
I keep hoping White Oak will become the Next Montrose as Montrose is becoming the next Washington Ave.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 AM

What Has Happened to Washington Avenue? - Houston - Music - Rocks Off

The Houston Press also did a story about the eventual demise of Washington.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I keep hoping White Oak will become the Next Montrose as Montrose is becoming the next Washington Ave.
Both Montrose and White Oak are mainly neighborhood bars and restaraunts. Montrose will never turn Washington as far as the hip club scene goes becauase the neighborhood won't support it, and the club owners know this as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
It takes deep pockets to get into the Upper Kirby development scene, so I don't think we should expect it to turn into another Washington Ave or Richmond. I think it offers a nice alternative, and the two can coexist.

EaDo is interesting, as there are a number of good bars (and Warehouse Live) already, there is a pretty low cost of entry, and a growing number of residents in walking distance--all of which are great for small businesses. I would like to see it get built up more and take some of the Washington Ave business, but I don't see Washington going in a big way in the next 5 years.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
What hang out spots are there on Richmond besides strip clubs? I live down the street from the old "Richmond strip" and most of the places people used to go are closed down, even the Horn is now closed down. You have a few stragglers that are still holding on like Dave and busters and Scott's, but that's about it.
Hookah bars, Concert Pub, a couple of other bars,strip clubs,Stereo Live. I didn't say it was bourbon street but it's more then just a "few" little spots. And Scott's?? I assume you're talking about Scott Gertner's which has been closed down along time ago and moved to the Pavilions downtown. LMAO@Dave and Busters. I can tell you don't get out much that's why I don't understand how you can talk about the nightlife scene it's obvious you don't go out at all. You must be in you're 40's or early 50's?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Hookah bars, Concert Pub, a couple of other bars,strip clubs,Stereo Live. I didn't say it was bourbon street but it's more then just a "few" little spots. And Scott's?? I assume you're talking about Scott Gertner's which has been closed down along time ago and moved to the Pavilions downtown. LMAO@Dave and Busters. I can tell you don't get out much that's why I don't understand how you can talk about the nightlife scene it's obvious you don't go out at all. You must be in you're 40's or early 50's?
NO Scott gertner the sports bar. I can tell you still don't know much about me or the city.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
Washington only caters to one or two demographics as a whole,too hard to get around and with the cost of living out there, you'll need to appeal to all if you want to pay rent out there

There's a reason Carrington's is still in business on Main Street and others have failed

Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
yeah, not crazy about washington. wish the bar scene in houston was more laid back like in los angeles. lots of surfers and laid back dress when people are out there. stylish, but cool. here, theres so many "you cant wear this, this or this" in front of their door. if you arent wearing a wild tee, black pointy dress shoes, and a blazer, or a button up, no matter the brand or how crappy it looks, then youre basically turned away. that style was like 4 years ago. i understand having to keeping certain people out but they should be able to decipher it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston