Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 PM

137 posts, read 268,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Two questions:

Where did you go to school, and has all of your financial analysis experience been in the healthcare field?
My experience in financial analysis has been in healthcare . Yes. Your first question, for privacy sake, I can pm you on that. I can tell you though that it's not ivy but a combination of private, public & private in NC, MI & MD.

Do you think the institutions attended are behind it? I don't think so but other demographic factors might be. In a tight job economy certain demographic groups tend to fare worse in being hired, regardless of educational/experiential background.

And thank you for those great questions especially the which industry experience. And that I have wondered myself because my applicaions in manufacturing, banking and other non-healthcare areas are usually not yielding any hear-backs. I have been in healthcare for 12 years now straight. Prior to that I was in the retail industry.

I am getting calls regularly and early on when I became unemployed, many of calls progressed from phone to F2F interviews which I paid some of the out of state travel expenses. Now, I am getting phone but not F2F interviews even though I am willing to foot the bill for F2F out of state.

Last edited by ABQ1; 02-25-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,433,129 times
If you have a stable job where you are, hold on to it for dear life.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1girln3boya View Post
That's not true. When we moved here my husband didn't have a job lined up. We has enough to make it a year or more with no job. We paid rent for 6 months up front and all that was needed was proof of a certain amount of money. If I remember correctly it was 3x they amount of rent for 6 months.
Wow! What a relief to know that such a risk can yield dividend beyond 0%. So, the landlords expected $18k in the bank for a 6 mths rent of $1000.00/month?

My advice for anyone who looses a job in a not-so-robust employment area in this current economy is to leave within 6 months when you still have some savings. The natural thing to do is say, I will get something soon and before you realize it's 12, 15 months and savings have exhausted and relocating without a job becomes even more difficult.

It happened to me. I should have left within six months but I thought that with my background that I will get something within 6 months. Didn't get any except short term contracts with drastically lower pay.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 AM

345 posts, read 804,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
18 months unemployed
As someone who knows a job recruiter that is a red flag. They are going to ask you about the 18 months. Like many have said, have a job first before moving. Good Luck on your course of action.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,133,356 times
Quote:
aa
You are definitely doing better than many unemployed people, who can't even get 1 call in 1000 resumes. Is it still good enough though? If you can get 1-2 calls for every 10-20 resumes targeted at the same industry and position, then the resume rocks. If your response rate is lower, I would still work on improving the response rate or better targeting. You are getting calls, but I don't know if it's better or worse than 1-2 calls per 10-20 resumes.

I can't recommend enough on getting resume reeviews from other people, especially ones that are landing jobs. That's why career/job ministries, career development meetups(meetup.com), career development/job hunting weekly classes are so valuable. It's really great, if the mentors have high success rates and can turn around unemployed to employed. I had the benefit of a former executive in the treasury dept of a a Too-Big-To-Fail bank at my career skills workshops. Mentors are a big deal, at every stage of your carer. I am in my mid-30s, and she was in her late 60's. The advice of older successful people is GOLD.

What's your interview layout and closing method? If you keep failing at closing, I highly recommend getting critiqued on your current interview and closing method. There can be some refinements discovered in a 2-3 hour evaluation with a dozen interviews at a career/job ministry, career development meetup(meetup.com), career development/job hunting weekly classes.

Areas where most interviewees have trouble:

1) Research(What does the interviewee know about the company's pain points? You need to be the fixer for these pain points. Use google for public research and alumni/linkedin/network to set-up informational interviews).

2) Clearing up any doubts(When prompted for questions at the closing, ask the interviewer if there is anything that prevent them from hiring you. After they respond, turn it into a positive or resolve it. )

3) Not being assertive and decisive
(Lead the interview and get them to respond. When you respond to questions, answer assertively and add in your own questions. It changes the flow of the interview to two-exchange, instead of one-way.
Wrong: Are you coming to Denver? If I get a job here, then I will move.
Right: I am moving to Denver in 3 weeks. We are looking at abc area and xyz area. What do you think about the 2 areas?

It's like you are moving here already. It leaves no doubt. That's just one example. I chose it, because of your move. You have to be assertive and decisive throughout the whole interview.)

I can't recommend enough the value of getting the interview response rate tuned up at career/job ministry, career development meetup(meetup.com), career development/job hunting weekly classes. The #1 goal is being the best interview and raising the closing rate.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 AM

97 posts, read 145,940 times
Move, adding on there...are you aware of any resume review services? I'll hopefully be moving to Houston this winter and would love to get some feed back from someone there before I start hitting the job search hard. I'll be there for 5 days in July and would gladly take the time to meet someone.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are definitely doing better than many unemployed people, who can't even get 1 call in 1000 resumes. Is it still good enough though? If you can get 1-2 calls for every 10-20 resumes targeted at the same industry and position, then the resume rocks. If your response rate is lower, I would still work on improving the response rate or better targeting. You are getting calls, but I don't know if it's better or worse than 1-2 calls per 10-20 resumes.

I can't recommend enough on getting resume reeviews from other people, especially ones that are landing jobs. That's why career/job ministries, career development meetups(meetup.com), career development/job hunting weekly classes are so valuable. It's really great, if the mentors have high success rates and can turn around unemployed to employed. I had the benefit of a former executive in the treasury dept of a a Too-Big-To-Fail bank at my career skills workshops. Mentors are a big deal, at every stage of your carer. I am in my mid-30s, and she was in her late 60's. The advice of older successful people is GOLD.

What's your interview layout and closing method? If you keep failing at closing, I highly recommend getting critiqued on your current interview and closing method. There can be some refinements discovered in a 2-3 hour evaluation with a dozen interviews at a career/job ministry, career development meetup(meetup.com), career development/job hunting weekly classes.

Areas where most interviewees have trouble:

1) Research(What does the interviewee know about the company's pain points? You need to be the fixer for these pain points. Use google for public research and alumni/linkedin/network to set-up informational interviews).

2) Clearing up any doubts(When prompted for questions at the closing, ask the interviewer if there is anything that prevent them from hiring you. After they respond, turn it into a positive or resolve it. )

3) Not being assertive and decisive
(Lead the interview and get them to respond. When you respond to questions, answer assertively and add in your own questions. It changes the flow of the interview to two-exchange, instead of one-way.
Wrong: Are you coming to Denver? If I get a job here, then I will move.
Right: I am moving to Denver in 3 weeks. We are looking at abc area and xyz area. What do you think about the 2 areas?

It's like you are moving here already. It leaves no doubt. That's just one example. I chose it, because of your move. You have to be assertive and decisive throughout the whole interview.)

I can't recommend enough the value of getting the interview response rate tuned up at career/job ministry, career development meetup(meetup.com), career development/job hunting weekly classes. The #1 goal is being the best interview and raising the closing rate.
Move4ward,

Where do I begin to THANK you? All of tthem! Thank you. The "closing of interview" is an area among others that I have to up some more.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
As someone who knows a job recruiter that is a red flag. They are going to ask you about the 18 months. Like many have said, have a job first before moving. Good Luck on your course of action.
Thanks! Actually if 8 months I did contract work is considered, it wouldn't be that much. The 18 months is how long since I had a full employment.

The questions though for you since you know recruiters are, why should 18 month without a job in a recession such as this be a "red flag?" What is the "red flag" saying to those recruiters about those candidates?

It's not unusual now for people to be out of jobs for over 24 months. I was one of those who told job seekers that they weren' looking hard enough when I had a job till I became one.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM

16 posts, read 26,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
if you are looking to relocate, it would be easier to find a job in the same state than coming to houston or dallas with no job. i moved 250 miles from houston to dallas with a few phone interviews, after a layoff. I didn't even have to make an unemployment claim. I had the job lined up to start a week after my job ended.

odds are that you will be unemployed in houston with even fewer connections or a support network, if you move without a job.

No complex is going to rent to somebody without a job or offer letter. When i was searching for places 250 miles away, every complex asked for an offer letter as proof of employment. I guess you could make a fake offer letter on your company, but why bother when you have no job to make the rent anyway.

Houston and dallas have higher or equaivalent unemployment rates to abq. It's a strange idea to move to an area with a higher unemployment rate without a job ready. You end up with have more competition for fewer jobs.
how did you do that!?!?!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM

427 posts, read 948,774 times
Quote:
My experience in financial analysis has been in healthcare . Yes. Your first question, for privacy sake, I can pm you on that. I can tell you though that it's not ivy but a combination of private, public & private in NC, MI & MD.

Do you think the institutions attended are behind it? I don't think so but other demographic factors might be. In a tight job economy certain demographic groups tend to fare worse in being hired, regardless of educational/experiential background.

And thank you for those great questions especially the which industry experience. And that I have wondered myself because my applicaions in manufacturing, banking and other non-healthcare areas are usually not yielding any hear-backs. I have been in healthcare for 12 years now straight. Prior to that I was in the retail industry.

I am getting calls regularly and early on when I became unemployed, many of calls progressed from phone to F2F interviews which I paid some of the out of state travel expenses. Now, I am getting phone but not F2F interviews even though I am willing to foot the bill for F2F out of state.
It's tough to know what advice to give with minimal information. What schools? And what is the issue with being part of a demographic group?

I can tell you this, however. While Houston has a large medical presence, all of it is under significant cost scrutiny, whether private or non-profit. I think that you will find this all over the country.

My advice is to cease identifying yourself as a healthcare financial analyst and become a financial analyst, period. Also, focus on finding a job outside of healthcare in a growth business - energy, financial services or engineering. I believe that you can find one in Houston if you try, and are truly qualified.

Last edited by CindyDavis; 02-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston