Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 AM

48 posts, read 82,736 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input! We understand the concerns about the commute and will definitely take that into consideration and may get more input on that in the coming weeks when we know more about my husband's job.

We have been looking online at some of the subdivisions you all mentioned . . . . specifically Cinco Ranch & Bridgeland, but there are soooooooo many others out there, a lot of information to sort through to determine where to look, etc. Besides the ones mentioned, looking at Westheimer Lakes, Seven Meadows, Cross Creek Ranch, Firethorne, Grand Lakes, Cypress Creek Lakes and possibly others that I am forgetting. Our budget is under $250,000, so trying to get the most for our money.

jmurdoch83- we have also been looking at Cross Creek Ranch, which looks really nice too! Just looked at the website for Parkway Fellowship, definitely want to check it out if and when we move there. What is the music like? Are there videos of the messages anywhere on the website? I'd love to hear the service if possible.

Would love any additional information on these areas/subdivisions/churches that you all might have.

Thank you all again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 AM

498 posts, read 839,967 times
I assume you're using the mapsearch feature on HAR.com? That should help you with figuring out which available homes in whichever subdivisions you're considering have quick access to freeways/tollways, shopping, schools, churches, parks, etc.

I highly recommend Cinco Ranch, on either side of the Grand Parkway (Highway 99). The neighborhood is nice, you can find what you're looking for in your budget, there are endless contemporary churches nearby, Katy ISD is top notch, there is shopping all around, and you have quick access to major thoroughfares that if utilized correctly can get you all the way downtown in under an hour during the morning rush hour commute.

Cypress is nice and carries much of the same features as Katy as a community, but is about 10 years behind Katy in terms of infrastructure and build out. Also, stay south of I-10, or north of 290, because there is a growing glut where Katy and Cypress meet in the void between I-10 and 290. Something else to heavily consider is that US290 is going to be under major construction for the coming years.

Use the mapsearch feature on har.com, set your price/amenities desired, start around Cinco Ranch BLVD and Highway 99, and fan out from there. Good luck, and welcome to Houston.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM

114 posts, read 225,554 times
Does anyone know if the Grand Parkway will connect Katy to Cypress and when it will be completed? HAR.com is great! Does anyone know if there is a similar website for Dallas area neighborhoods?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM

498 posts, read 839,967 times
Yes, it will connect.

Unsure about Dallas. I've found to HAR to be unique, but there are other sites like Trulia and Zillow that can at least help visualize the search in areas that don't offer something similar.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM

156 posts, read 494,788 times
Four years ago when moving to Houston, we had the same dilemma trying to decide between Cypress or Katy. We also have three kids and thus top schools are very important. Honestly, knowing what I know now, you can't go wrong with either area. Both have excellent schools with a few exceptions (do your research). If you decide on Katy, my vote is with Cinco Ranch. I love the coziness of the community seeing couples jogging together and kids playing by the lake in the late afternoon. Cypress has more trees which gives more of a natural beauty appeal than Katy's artificial man made communities. That's my 2 cents for whatever it is worth. Best of luck!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM

63 posts, read 134,216 times
Check out Churchill Farms. It's a new subdivision in the same area as Cross Creak Ranch and Cardif Ranch. We just singed a contract there and can't wait to move in. So far the people we've met have been really friendly.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 PM

15 posts, read 27,003 times
Bridgeland is going to be huge. I can tell you from experience the South Katy (north katy is sort of the shady part of town) area is mostly made of the average subdivision. It's not really pretty or anything.

What I think you should know is that don't cross Cypress of the list due to 290. I checked, and its only 25 minutes to get from Bridgeland to the beltway on FM 529, compared to 23 on 290. So really a commute shouldn't matter.

I think Cypress would be the best area for you.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttx View Post
Bridgeland is going to be huge. I can tell you from experience the South Katy (north katy is sort of the shady part of town) area is mostly made of the average subdivision. It's not really pretty or anything.
I agre that Cypress is better for them, but not with the Katy observation. South Katy is 10000000% prettier than north Katy. Greener, also.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 03-03-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM

293 posts, read 758,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypresstosocal View Post
Does anyone know if the Grand Parkway will connect Katy to Cypress and when it will be completed? HAR.com is great! Does anyone know if there is a similar website for Dallas area neighborhoods?

Segment E of the Grand Parkway is supposed to be open by the end of 2013.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM

536 posts, read 1,065,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
I assume you're using the mapsearch feature on HAR.com? That should help you with figuring out which available homes in whichever subdivisions you're considering have quick access to freeways/tollways, shopping, schools, churches, parks, etc.

I highly recommend Cinco Ranch, on either side of the Grand Parkway (Highway 99). The neighborhood is nice, you can find what you're looking for in your budget, there are endless contemporary churches nearby, Katy ISD is top notch, there is shopping all around, and you have quick access to major thoroughfares that if utilized correctly can get you all the way downtown in under an hour during the morning rush hour commute.

Cypress is nice and carries much of the same features as Katy as a community, but is about 10 years behind Katy in terms of infrastructure and build out. Also, stay south of I-10, or north of 290, because there is a growing glut where Katy and Cypress meet in the void between I-10 and 290. Something else to heavily consider is that US290 is going to be under major construction for the coming years.

Use the mapsearch feature on har.com, set your price/amenities desired, start around Cinco Ranch BLVD and Highway 99, and fan out from there. Good luck, and welcome to Houston.
I wouldn't agree with this. There are many nice neighborhoods south of 290 in Cypress; Bridgeland, Towne Lake, Black Horse Ranch, Copper Lakes, Cypress Creek Lakes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston