Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 AM

114 posts, read 145,953 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm here back with one more post and few more questions

I'll be relocating in Houston in one moth time and I'm already looking for an house, to buy.

My budget is 150K.

It's already more than one month I'm doing a lot of searching (also on this fantastic forum) and I came to the following areas:

Sugar Land and 77077 area.

Our priorities are:

- neighborhood
- green and parks for jogging/walking /cycling
- schooling for child
- shops (supermarkets, etc.)
- amenities

I'll be working on the energy corridor, very close to the first loop.

What's your opinion about the two selected areas? Which one would you prefer? and why?

Thanks a lot

Paolo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM

71 posts, read 139,734 times
i live in 77077 and work in the Energy Corridor, so I can address some of your priorities:

Your budget of 150k may prove a bit difficult - Most of the houses are upwards of 200k, though you may find something in need of renovation in the high 100k range.

- neighborhood: off of the main roads, the neighborhoods are tidy and quiet. Many have Pct 5 constable patrol for added safety. Being close to work is a huge plus.
- green and parks for jogging/walking /cycling: close to Terry Hershey Park bike/hike trails, some small pocket parks
- schooling for child - HISD public elementaries get mixed reviews. Barbara Bush is well regarded. Several excellent private schools in the area.
- shops (supermarkets, etc.) and amenities - penty of shopping and restaurants along Eldridge, somewhat along Dairy Ashford, things get dicier along Kirkwood and Wilcrest. Lots of variety along Westheimer to the south, but high traffic area.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloC View Post
Hi guys,

I'm here back with one more post and few more questions

I'll be relocating in Houston in one moth time and I'm already looking for an house, to buy.

My budget is 150K.

It's already more than one month I'm doing a lot of searching (also on this fantastic forum) and I came to the following areas:

Sugar Land and 77077 area.

Our priorities are:

- neighborhood
- green and parks for jogging/walking /cycling
- schooling for child
- shops (supermarkets, etc.)
- amenities

I'll be working on the energy corridor, very close to the first loop.

What's your opinion about the two selected areas? Which one would you prefer? and why?

Thanks a lot

Paolo
I think 77077 is Stafford?

Not much in Sugar Land for $150k. There may be a few in the Highlands and the townhome communities across Hwy 6 from there.
If you work in the Energy Corridor (which is not near the Loop, so are you sure?), you'll save some commute distance/time by looking north of Hwy 90. Just make sure you stay south of West Airport Blvd; the Sugar Land addresses, once you get north to W Bellfort Ave, are not actually Sugar Land and is more like Alief Lite (not good).

Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 AM

thanks a lot!
my biggest problem is that I can't spend more than that amount because I just bought an apartment in my country... couple of months before to be informed of my moving...

the places in sugar land I'm looking to are almost here: 29 - Ft. Bend Central, 94-sugar land (an example address is 10311 TOWNEVIEW DR).

You also saying that there is not much in 77077 and sugar land for <150K, but on har.com I'm finding a lot of opportunities... what's the trick?

May I also ask if someone knows what are the average interest rates on mortgages in the USA and in texas?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 AM

17 posts, read 34,242 times
con 150,000 dollari nelle zone che hai nominato tu compri delle baracche!
che cadono a pezzi!
stai in affitto piuttosto e quando hai qualche soldo in piu' compra.
ciao
fabrizio

Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
thanks a lot!
my biggest problem is that I can't spend more than that amount because I just bought an apartment in my country... couple of months before to be informed of my moving...

the places in sugar land I'm looking to are almost here: 29 - Ft. Bend Central, 94-sugar land (an example address is 10311 TOWNEVIEW DR).

You also saying that there is not much in 77077 and sugar land for <150K, but on har.com I'm finding a lot of opportunities... what's the trick?

May I also ask if someone knows what are the average interest rates on mortgages in the USA and in texas?

Thanks
Here is the trick here: There is an area that is technically Sugar Land. It is adjacent to Alief. People forget about it and newcomers find that it's not the Sugar Land of their dreams. Better try 77077 - but it will be hard.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,329 times
If you're working in EC, I would recommend 77077 over Sugar Land. There are always a handful of houses in this zip for under 150k. They're older, but often well maintained and area is often quiet and safe. This one is already pending but I know these blocks are relatively nice and calm (this area changes block to block so work with a knowledgeable realtor to help guide you):
12858 Westella Drive, Houston, TX 77077 - HAR.com

Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Not much in Sugar Land for $150k. There may be a few in the Highlands and the townhome communities across Hwy 6 from there.
If you work in the Energy Corridor (which is not near the Loop, so are you sure?), you'll save some commute distance/time by looking north of Hwy 90. Just make sure you stay south of West Airport Blvd; the Sugar Land addresses, once you get north to W Bellfort Ave, are not actually Sugar Land and is more like Alief Lite (not good).
If you tell him to stay south of Airport, he's missing out on Barrington Place. I still have plenty of friends there (I'm a former resident) and they say crime is pretty much down to zero. Unfortunately, there was a spike in crime some years back after Katrina.

Stay out of Towne West, specifically. Not a nice neighborhood. People will also tell you to stay far, far away from all apartment complexes, but the ones on Bellfort across from Barrington Place (Milan) are fine.

77077 is out of his range, more than likely.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 AM

Thanks all, I'm now finally getting a better picture of the situation; I'm also starting thinking to do an effort trying to pop up my budget up to 200K...

What about mortgages and interest rates? Is 6% a normal rate or is it too high in your opinion?

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Oops, my brain saw 77477. Never mind.

Quote:

Any address with "Towne" in it, I'd stay away from; it's probably in Alief Lite. Like I said, stay well south of W Bellfort Ave when looking in Sugar Land. You need to look at the properties on a map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If you tell him to stay south of Airport, he's missing out on Barrington Place. I still have plenty of friends there (I'm a former resident) and they say crime is pretty much down to zero. Unfortunately, there was a spike in crime some years back after Katrina.
True, it's meant as more of a general recommendation than specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston