Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM

18,144 posts, read 25,349,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
They're very nice up there. My dad recently died and my mom is up there alone now, but thankfully, surrounded by wonderful neighbors. As far as "bible thumping," well, thank God for that. We are Christians and proud of it. I'm happy that she has terrific, Christian neighbors.
Sure, that's why everybody loves Jehovah Witnesses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,151,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Looks like this great question might be turning into another Christian hate thread. We;re used to it.

The poster who said to just rent is correct if you don't have money to be buying a 2nd home.

We sure got to know many people and so seriously talked of moving there but decided we would not be given a fair chance at fitting in because you simply had to be a Mormon and I was not willing to be one. They are very nice people though. I know Cedar City like the back of my hand. Wonderful place. But how you gonna travel all the way to Utah often enough to make it worth while?
Yeah, I ignore the religious talk.

Our plan is to rent around various areas over the next several years, while we save up money, and decide where the perfect spot is. We would most likely try to buy a property outright.

One thing that I like about a Utah property - we would be able to rent it out pretty easily when we weren't there, so it wouldn't just be sitting there. We are drawn to Park City, Heber, and Midway. But we are going to look around all the areas up there. Park City is #1 on our list currently. We know someone who has a home there, and another person who has a home in Deer Valley (they both live here in Houston full time - those are second homes for them).

I've been reallly reading through Utah's SLC threads here on city data. And a lot of people bring up not being Mormon, and if that's an issue. In the areas I'm looking - it's doesn't seem to be that much of an issue, whereas I know several areas of Salt Lake City are hardcore Mormons. Most non LDS folks seem to think that they have been able to integrate into their society without issue. But that's another reason why we plan on doing long term rentals in various areas for a long while - to see how we would fit in.

Thanks for your input!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,529,710 times
Love Deer Valley. Skiing and summer fun seems like a no brainer. As an atheist conservative, the religious aspect of things don't bother me. I guess I'm tolerant.

The only annoying thing about Utah is you have to buy food with your first drink. State law.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,708,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Yeah, I ignore the religious talk.

Our plan is to rent around various areas over the next several years, while we save up money, and decide where the perfect spot is. We would most likely try to buy a property outright.

One thing that I like about a Utah property - we would be able to rent it out pretty easily when we weren't there, so it wouldn't just be sitting there. We are drawn to Park City, Heber, and Midway. But we are going to look around all the areas up there. Park City is #1 on our list currently. We know someone who has a home there, and another person who has a home in Deer Valley (they both live here in Houston full time - those are second homes for them).

I've been reallly reading through Utah's SLC threads here on city data. And a lot of people bring up not being Mormon, and if that's an issue. In the areas I'm looking - it's doesn't seem to be that much of an issue, whereas I know several areas of Salt Lake City are hardcore Mormons. Most non LDS folks seem to think that they have been able to integrate into their society without issue. But that's another reason why we plan on doing long term rentals in various areas for a long while - to see how we would fit in.

Thanks for your input!
Oh your talking north Utah. Park City and SLC are just another city. Other then some breath taking LDS church architecture there is nothing there for me. The great salt flats are really something to see but once you seen them......that's it. The Great Salt Lake is so salty that no marine life can survive in it so basically it's dead. Boating is more trouble then it's worth because the salt is so extreme that it eats away at your prop and motor. It even eats fiberglass!!! You must take your boat from the water immediately when your done and give it a very good wash down, but that only makes your boat's death a little further away.

Next time you're there, explore southern Utah. I love Cedar City but go visit the little town of Hurricane and you will not want to go back home. Go see Cedar Breaks, Zion and the Grand Staircase national parks. None are better. All within a half hour of eachother.

For a wonderful time, just outside Cedar City on highway 18 is the famous Mormon Mountain Massacre site. This is an amazing piece of history. They made the TV movie September Dawn about this event which was released a few years ago and can now be bought on DVD. Bodies continue to emerge from the ground and it's been 150 years ago. It's truly a sacred site and also the most controversial among the Mormon faith. There is a huge granite monument on the hill that resembles the Vietnam war wall of names. People/ancestors leave flowers and letters there just like they do in Washington at the Vietnam wall.

And if there is anything you want to know about Lake Livingston history, I am the man for that job. I also know Coldspring history. The original name for the beautiful town of Coldspring is a rather racial sounding name and the censors here would delete it so look it up. Some of the old town's buildings were saved and set behind the old county jail to visit. The old jail is where the famous evil crooked Sheriff Humpy Parker tortured residents and visitors for money is now a museum. The hanging rope and hatch is haunting to see. You can actually go inside the jail cells and sit down to experience it as it was.

The Sheriff hated men with long hair so much that he ordered the entire Sheriffs dept to stop all cars with men with long hair and bring them in for waterboarding torture. The book Terror on 59 was a best seller and told the whole story. This book became so rare and sought after by Texas collectors that they were going for over $100. That was not very long ago. Today the old jail house museum sells remakes of the book in paperback. It's one of the best books I ever read.

This story too became a TV movie, it was named Highway Terror on 91 starring Ricky Schroder. Apparently the people of south Texas did not want the name Highway 59 to be associated with the bad memories so Hollywood made it Highway 91

I'll stop there for space sake.
Good luck

Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,151,593 times
Quote:
Oh your talking north Utah. Park City and SLC are just another city. Other then some breath taking LDS church architecture there is nothing there for me. The great salt flats are really something to see but once you seen them......that's it. The Great Salt Lake is so salty that no marine life can survive in it so basically it's dead. Boating is more trouble then it's worth because the salt is so extreme that it eats away at your prop and motor. It even eats fiberglass!!! You must take your boat from the water immediately when your done and give it a very good wash down, but that only makes your boat's death a little further away.

Next time you're there, explore southern Utah. I love Cedar City but go visit the little town of Hurricane and you will not want to go back home. Go see Cedar Breaks, Zion and the Grand Staircase national parks. None are better. All within a half hour of eachother.

For a wonderful time, just outside Cedar City on highway 18 is the famous Mormon Mountain Massacre site. This is an amazing piece of history. They made the TV movie September Dawn about this event which was released a few years ago and can now be bought on DVD. Bodies continue to emerge from the ground and it's been 150 years ago. It's truly a sacred site and also the most controversial among the Mormon faith. There is a huge granite monument on the hill that resembles the Vietnam war wall of names. People/ancestors leave flowers and letters there just like they do in Washington at the Vietnam wall.

And if there is anything you want to know about Lake Livingston history, I am the man for that job. I also know Coldspring history. The original name for the beautiful town of Coldspring is a rather racial sounding name and the censors here would delete it so look it up. Some of the old town's buildings were saved and set behind the old county jail to visit. The old jail is where the famous evil crooked Sheriff Humpy Parker tortured residents and visitors for money is now a museum. The hanging rope and hatch is haunting to see. You can actually go inside the jail cells and sit down to experience it as it was.

The Sheriff hated men with long hair so much that he ordered the entire Sheriffs dept to stop all cars with men with long hair and bring them in for waterboarding torture. The book Terror on 59 was a best seller and told the whole story. This book became so rare and sought after by Texas collectors that they were going for over $100. That was not very long ago. Today the old jail house museum sells remakes of the book in paperback. It's one of the best books I ever read.

This story too became a TV movie, it was named Highway Terror on 91 starring Ricky Schroder. Apparently the people of south Texas did not want the name Highway 59 to be associated with the bad memories so Hollywood made it Highway 91

I'll stop there for space sake.
Good luck
Thanks for this bit of history!!

I would love to see ALL of Utah eventually. When we go up this summer, we are driving, and plan to take about 3 days to get there. I'm not sure of the route we will take just yet. But I plan on doing some sight seeing along the way! I've heard Zion is gorgeous. I have a beautiful coffee table book on Utah that I got for Christmas this year and it has gorgeous pictures and stories from all over Utah. Zion is in it a lot.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,756,471 times
Quote:
Looks like this great question might be turning into another Christian hate thread. We;re used to it.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,140,944 times
Lmao!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,708,391 times
Yup, here comes more hate. Damn atheists. Say one wrong politically incorrect word on this forum and you are beaten, bloodied and your balls crushed and mushed into the street but it's ok to put down Christians.

Just the other day one of my exceptionally relevant posts were deleted because the claim was it had nothing to do with the post, which is did very much so. So why does this trash have anything to do with Lake Livingston? Oh I forgot. Only Atheists can complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston