Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM

72 posts, read 92,294 times

Advertisements

Possible relocation from New England. Great job on the forums here for Houston. I will work from home so commute does not matter. Are there any walkable downtown areas in the North, Northwest suburbs outside of the city. Some shopping, good restaurants, coffee shops etc........ Trying to find a little of the New England charm in the great state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Yikes, walkable commercial areas in the north/northwest? The Woodlands is probably the close as it gets. Old town spring is walkable, but its mostly a tourist shop area. In the northwest the closest thing to walkable is an outlet mall.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,343 times
City center is the only place that I can think of that may fit the bill outside of the Woodlands.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
No. Not at all anything like New England in ANY suburb of Houston and definitely nothing walkable. New England might as well be a different country compared to the Houston area..our suburbs are sprawling, isolated, and only dotted with strip malls and chain restaurants along highways. I'd suggest you stick to places like Rice Village, the Heights, and Montrose...these places are more along the lines of what you are looking for.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
I wonder just how far from Houston the OP is thinking. My impression was that they are looking for historic charm which would be hard to find in Houston. Someone mentioned Old Town Spring and I also thought of historic downtown Tomball, but there are small towns outside of Houston like Brenham which have attractive old downtown squares. But, Brenham is 60 miles away. I don't know much about the small towns like Waller or Chappell Hill on the way out to Brenham, maybe someone can chime in? Rice Village is uncharming but walkable if you live in adjacent neighborhood, CityCentre is neither charming nor walkable. The Heights is a walkable area with the most charm in Houston (IMO) but it is close to downtown, not a suburb.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
Rice village and the heights are more what op is looking for than the woodlands or brenham...

Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Don't expect New England charm in the state of Texas. It's Texas not New England.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I wonder just how far from Houston the OP is thinking. My impression was that they are looking for historic charm which would be hard to find in Houston. Someone mentioned Old Town Spring and I also thought of historic downtown Tomball, but there are small towns outside of Houston like Brenham which have attractive old downtown squares. But, Brenham is 60 miles away. I don't know much about the small towns like Waller or Chappell Hill on the way out to Brenham, maybe someone can chime in? Rice Village is uncharming but walkable if you live in adjacent neighborhood, CityCentre is neither charming nor walkable. The Heights is a walkable area with the most charm in Houston (IMO) but it is close to downtown, not a suburb.
Citycentre is walkable from Fonn Villas,memorial plaza, the apartments and lofts in it,and smaller neighborhoods nearby. Charming? not really. But no less walkable than Rice Village.

Houston is more about driving to a walkable area. It gets to be close to 95-100 degrees three months of the year you know.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
No. Not at all anything like New England in ANY suburb of Houston and definitely nothing walkable. New England might as well be a different country compared to the Houston area..our suburbs are sprawling, isolated, and only dotted with strip malls and chain restaurants along highways. I'd suggest you stick to places like Rice Village, the Heights, and Montrose...these places are more along the lines of what you are looking for.
^^^^ this. And really there is no such thing as a walkable neighborhood in Houston. No one neighborhood is going to have everything you need in walking distance, at some point you will need a car.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Citycentre is walkable from Fonn Villas,memorial plaza, the apartments and lofts in it,and smaller neighborhoods nearby. Charming? not really. But no less walkable than Rice Village.

Houston is more about driving to a walkable area. It gets to be close to 95-100 degrees three months of the year you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston