Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,773,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post
To the weird post about Boulder, CO: I know all about d-bags. I do live in LA after all.

Yeah the housing costs are SO much cheaper. We like to rent right now (been moving a lot lately!) so we will get a lay of the land for sure. Rice and Sugarland sound nice-- but I'm so worried about huge bugs (holy crap!) and crazy humid weather. I don't like how materialism is here in CA so that wont be any shock to me, I would however doubt there is no sense of community, I was reading in Sugarland, kids are all out on the streets in those neighborhoods playing together. I can't even get my upstairs neighbor to say more then "Hi" to me when she walks by. It's just weird how unfriendly it can be here, but I'm maybe overly friendly!

Why leave CA? Well, weather isn't everything and it's SUCH a rat race here. I'm sick and tired of apartment living and coin-op laundry and wishing for a house we wont ever afford. Not to mention the layoffs-- this'll be the 3rd layoff for my poor hubs since 2009 and it's getting old. Houston is booming and not in recession. California's job growth is a negative number right now. I seriously don't understand how my family/friends manage to stay afloat!

Can someone here give me a lowdown on the last few summers? We'd be moving right around springtime and need to get ready for it. We had a few 90 degree humid days last summer in LA here and that was unbearable but mostly because the AC we have isn't great. From what I remember of humid (back east weather), a lot of times it'll get so bad that it'll just POUR rain. Is this true of Houston too?
Don't let people scare you about the weather. Last summer was downright cool. It was actually hotter in Chicago then Houston most of the summer. Weather is very cyclical. Some summers are warmer then normal and very dry. Others are cooler and wet. The really hot weather lasts about 3 months and by hot I mean 90's. I point that out because many people on this board think 85 is scorching hot. Six months out of the year the weather here is absolutely beautiful. Two months I would say it's even cold, maybe too cold. It feels colder then the temps say because the air is very moist down here.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM

164 posts, read 357,152 times
Last year, we had beautiful, gorgeous weather. We had spring that lasted more than 2 days! Got about 1-2 months out of it. Summer didn't hit the 100s as it did before. Still very hot with the humidity but not as bad as previous years. We got some rain, so we were mostly out of drought status. (RenFaire let people camp with fires as opposed to last year.)

I think we had a nice autumn, too... Well, the autumn was kind of like having spring again, but I'm not complaining. I'm seriously hoping that this weather repeats itself this year.

Echoing the comments about the mosquitoes. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the mosquitoes do - they're just awful. I ended up with some huge welts all over me. but mosquitoes find my family and me particularly delicious.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times
Quote:
Rice and Sugarland sound nice-- but I'm so worried about huge bugs (holy crap!) and crazy humid weather. I don't like how materialism is here in CA so that wont be any shock to me, I would however doubt there is no sense of community, I was reading in Sugarland, kids are all out on the streets in those neighborhoods playing together. I can't even get my upstairs neighbor to say more then "Hi" to me when she walks by. It's just weird how unfriendly it can be here, but I'm maybe overly friendly!
Yep, depending on the neighborhood, there are kids all over the place playing in Sugarland and Pearland. That is one thing my grandchildren really like. Here in our neighborhood in Pearland, they also seem to have lots of neighborhood birthday parties to go to and they are all mixed ages.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM

55 posts, read 174,237 times
Nana-- Love love love that! Exactly what I am looking for, there is nothing more satisfying as a parent then going outside and watching your kiddos making new friends or playing slip 'n slide or ice cream trucks... etc. It's not like that at all in the areas of CA I've lived in, mostly because we are in apartments, not traditional "neighborhoods" with street corners or parks.

Oooooh the bugs... I'm really scared for that. I'll just douse myself in OFF for 3 months straight. 80 degrees is nothing here in CA but it's a dry HOT dessert type heat which I hear is more bearable then humidity. But it doesn't sound *that* bad and yes, I hope this summer is mild because I might be in Houston by then.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,960,534 times
You would hate it and I would highly recommend not moving here.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You would hate it and I would highly recommend not moving here.
And what's your argument? I hate to say there has been quite a few rude/vague comments on this thread that are really bothersome to me.

If you don't have anything to contribute then I wouldn't bother posting. Gee wiz. I logged in for this comment?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:14 PM

418 posts, read 743,012 times
Quote:
And what's your argument? I hate to say there has been quite a few rude/vague comments on this thread that are really bothersome to me.

If you don't have anything to contribute then I wouldn't bother posting. Gee wiz. I logged in for this comment?
Your opening post was off-putting to some of us, yet you are offended by our comments. We are entitled to post our thoughts, just as you are.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Off putting how exactly? Bothersome doesn't equate to me being offended. I just don't see the point in comments like that to anyone. Sorry. Just my honest opinion.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM

536 posts, read 1,064,272 times
Quote:
Nana-- Love love love that! Exactly what I am looking for, there is nothing more satisfying as a parent then going outside and watching your kiddos making new friends or playing slip 'n slide or ice cream trucks... etc. It's not like that at all in the areas of CA I've lived in, mostly because we are in apartments, not traditional "neighborhoods" with street corners or parks.

Oooooh the bugs... I'm really scared for that. I'll just douse myself in OFF for 3 months straight. 80 degrees is nothing here in CA but it's a dry HOT dessert type heat which I hear is more bearable then humidity. But it doesn't sound *that* bad and yes, I hope this summer is mild because I might be in Houston by then.
I think it's quite a friendly place here! We're in a cul-de-sac and we and all our neighbors are out there with our kids watching them play. At halloween we all sat out on the street and handed out candy whilst we chatted. I would actually say a lot of neighborhoods in Houston are like this.

Last edited by Cbink; 02-13-2013 at 04:29 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,945 times
There is something charming about Houston summers though, I love going out and getting an ice cold drink in the heat. Then going back as fast as I can inside to the soothing air conditioner, feels so comforting. To the OP, last summer wasn't bad but the summer of 2011 was probably the worst I've ever been in since I was born. The inner loop is quite liberal and so are areas just outside like oak forest, meyerland, westbury, and sharpstown. Though all in all, Houston is a pretty live and let live place so no one really cares what party you vote for as long as you don't push it on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston