Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM

98 posts, read 205,297 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I spent basically 2 hours driving around the East End in the Bayou/Clinton area over by the old KBR parcel. I spoke with a homeowner over there and he seemed to really enjoy the area and the proximity to everything. Downtown and practically every major freeway. I was wondering if we may have heard any rumors or ideas about what is going to be done with that KBR land? I know who bought it and I called them today and they said they are considering all options but haven't come to a decision.

I am working with someone and she really loves that area but I know that the possible redevelopment of the KBR lot is an important factor in that neighborhood. Oh and the fact that El Tiempo is building their biggest restaurant off Navigation. I love their Fajitas.

Anyway, what is the view of the board on the East End area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM

418 posts, read 742,750 times
I was born and raised here. For someone who has always viewed that area as dangerous, disgusting and dirty, it will be hard to change my thoughts on that area. Not trying to hurt feelings, but you asked for opinions.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Thank you Glossa, I welcome all opinions. My objective is to find out what would be the best home and safe area for my client and i certainly don't want to move her somewhere she could get shanked going out for a run. :-) I see Sudhoff building $200,000 and $300,000 homes and other developers coming in and it is hard for me to believe it will stay like that.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM

164 posts, read 357,082 times
God, no. Just no. I think East End is a good option depending on where, but for the KBR parcel, I'd still avoid that area. I have friends who worked for KBR at the Clinton location, and they were glad to move Downtown. A few employees got robbed in their cars sitting at the stoplight. The running joke was that people would live in their 3 story townhomes, so that they could watch people get jumped and smoking crack down below.

PS - I should add...
Until they know what they're doing with the KBR parcel, I probably wouldn't touch any properties around that area.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM

lol. So I have gotten two HE Double Hockey sticks no. Anyone else? lol.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 26,023 times
I looked at homes in Eastwood a couple years back. This place seems to be in a prolonged state of gentrification due in part to the Great Recession slowing things down a bit there for a while. The homes there were built by William A. Wilson, the same guy who developed the Woodland Heights. Not only that, but Eastwood was meant to be a more upscale neighborhood than the Woodland Heights.

There are plans to expand the Light Rail to the East End. I believe it will be the Green Line and is slated for 2014 completion. I personally think, for someone who has got a 5-10 yr timeframe, the Eastwood neighborhood would be a good investment. The light rail will provide easy access to downtown for professionals and it will be a waterfall effect after that, i.e. - local businesses opening to cater to the new demographic

Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,056,153 times
What's her price range? I'd stick to EaDo for a single lady for now. Lots of potential in the Clinton area, but I don't expect it to really be different until about 5 years from now. Who knows what will happen to the KBR parcel, but a piece of land that large will take several years to fully develop.

Look in Eastwood as well, but there's really no inventory right now. :/

Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Her price range is about 180 max. We looked over in 77009. That new construction from Avenue CDC but they have income restrictions and she makes too much. lol. Never thought that would EVER be the problem. The person in the model home said they are not trying to gentrify.

Anyway, so some people are saying don't even think about it. Some people are saying it could possibly be a good investment if she has a long timeline. I know she's been at her current apartments for over 5 years so I don't think she's one to jump up and move unless circumstances change. Yes @citylove it is amazing how little inventory there is. I spoke with someone last week and I said there isn't a lot of inventory and she looked at me confused and said she thought there were an abundance of homes out there. I wonder where renters and potential buyers get their information from because that couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,056,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamCraigHenry View Post
Her price range is about 180 max. We looked over in 77009. That new construction from Avenue CDC but they have income restrictions and she makes too much. lol. Never thought that would EVER be the problem. The person in the model home said they are not trying to gentrify.

Anyway, so some people are saying don't even think about it. Some people are saying it could possibly be a good investment if she has a long timeline. I know she's been at her current apartments for over 5 years so I don't think she's one to jump up and move unless circumstances change. Yes @citylove it is amazing how little inventory there is. I spoke with someone last week and I said there isn't a lot of inventory and she looked at me confused and said she thought there were an abundance of homes out there. I wonder where renters and potential buyers get their information from because that couldn't be further from the truth.
You know, I really don't like that Avenue new construction in 77009. I believe it's being subsidized and the homes just don't fit in with the area. Just my opinion though.

$180k is tough. I'd look in Eastwood, Idylwood, and a couple other areas of 77023. Then also in Lindale Park, but no good inventory either. Brookesmith too in 77009, but nothing interesting right now under $180k There's a cool development of townhomes in 77003 that usually has homes under $170k, but no inventory either! It's called Midtown Village.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 AM

164 posts, read 357,082 times
I took a look at the Avenue construction in 7709 when I was looking to buy. They keep building more, but the homes don't seem to move quickly. I agree with you, City Love, they look so out of place in the neighborhood. Most of the floor plans weren't too bad, some were just flat-out weird.

iamCraig, there is a home that has popped up in Brooke Smith (represent!!) that was incorrectly posted on HAR. 1203 Walton; zip code says 77008 instead of 77009. Fantastic deal for a remodel if everything checks out. I'm not sure what the current curb appeal is, but it's a bit lacking in Google Maps; this can all be fixed IMO. I love this part of Brooke Smith, where unfortunately I don't live, because they have curbs (!!!!!), it's so close to Montie Beach Park, and it's not as close to 45. Looks like they really want to/must sell, which is why the price is so great. No idea why there's limited pictures, but maybe this is worth checking out?

Sellers can probably get a lot more on this property given recent comps, but hey, maybe this is it.

Edited to add since I forgot to post it previously: this one also has a one car garage and garage apt. Jealous here. So jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: