Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM

183 posts, read 382,740 times

Advertisements

Houston is not cloudy. there can be a thin layer of smog near the ship channel, where most of the refineries are, but there is tons of sunshine in houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,458,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
Ok so it LOOKS muddy but is it "too gross" to swim in? I guess this could be a personal preference Q but... Lakes here in MN range form brown and murky to crystal clear the farther up north you get and out of the cities.
I also read on another thread that Houston is a very cloudy city? Truth to that?
Galveston is not like California or Florida beaches by a long shot, but it still gets quite crowded, and there are times that the water actually looks pretty nice.

As far as cloudy, during this time of the year, you will have cloudy days.. but you are more likely to have a sunny day.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM

7,904 posts, read 11,503,560 times
Quote:
Ok so it LOOKS muddy but is it "too gross" to swim in? I guess this could be a personal preference Q but... Lakes here in MN range form brown and murky to crystal clear the farther up north you get and out of the cities.
I also read on another thread that Houston is a very cloudy city? Truth to that?
You get a lot of partly cloudy days in Houston. I moved from Houston to Pittsburgh and that is cloudy, we went weeks without seeing the sun. In Houston you get a lot of sun but with clouds in the ski... honestly it makes summers slightly, very slightly better by offering some cloud cover which Dallas does not get.

Houston is a high humidity city and next to huge gulf of mexico which dominates the weather with prevailing winds off the gulf (SE winds are normal). That means you get moisture from the gulf which brings humidity and clouds in. Hope this helps.

On the beach in Galveston, the dominate look of the water and sand is muddy. There are jellyfish that can make swimming painful too. There is drilling off the gulf so on occasion you may see an oil blob but unlike a decade ago that is not common now. The best thing about the beach of Galveston is in the summer its about 10 degrees cooler than inland.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM

543 posts, read 1,393,589 times
When i first moved here, we stayed at Homewood Suite on Bay Area Blvd and I liked it alot. They have nice free breakfast everyday. Dinner is free on certain days as well.
The room is nice, many come with a kitchenette as well.

Plus, it's near to all the area's restaurant. Leage City is about 15 mins away.

I should also mention that there is a rental car place next to Homewood Suite as well.

Last edited by MNCold; 02-12-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Add more info

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM

543 posts, read 1,393,589 times
Quote:
Well roaches sound liek they would be the biggest ick factor for me! The fire ants, hey if ya cant get rid of em jsut try and avoid em! As for the mosquitos, that will be a comfort from home, lol. There are millions of mosquitos here so... I wish i was down there right now! it is 30 below zero today! F!
CJedstrom - Unless you live in a really remote part of MN, you will be in surprise of the numbers of mosquito here. I used to think that MN has a lot of mosquito until I moved to Houston.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 PM

112 posts, read 209,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
CJedstrom - Unless you live in a really remote part of MN, you will be in surprise of the numbers of mosquito here. I used to think that MN has a lot of mosquito until I moved to Houston.
I go up north to Akeley at least once a year to my cabin so I do know the mosquito population that you are talking about. There are amillion more up north than in the cities. Thanks for the comparision though, makes sense with the humidity and the gulf right there.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the Sunny information. I was starting to get worried. Seems that about 85% of the stuff on these threads is pretty accurate and then there are the weird random completely not true things that get posted. Thank you for clearling it up!
I am monitoring prices for flights and am hoping they drop so I can get down there and check all of this out! I am so anxious!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 PM

Are there employment agencies or some other resources that I can contact to help with finding a job while living out of state?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
Hey cjedstrom. I am 30 years old. I live on the east side of Saint Paul. I have a wife and a 2 month old daughter and we are also looking to move to one of the major cities in Texas. we started by looking at Austin because we heard good things about the music scene. Then we noticed how scarce jobs can be there. we are currently looking at plane tickets to Dallas to maybe take a peek around that area. would you mind keeping me posted on your findings?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,377,666 times
Quote:
I go up north to Akeley at least once a year to my cabin so I do know the mosquito population that you are talking about. There are amillion more up north than in the cities. Thanks for the comparision though, makes sense with the humidity and the gulf right there.
Texas has many more species of mosquitoes than MN (85 at last count), including the type that transmits West Nile Virus. Something to be aware of if you have young children, are elderly, and/or immunocrompromised. Many species are very small and bite you so quickly that you don't realize you've been bitten until the welt forms, along with the maddening itching. No chance for the satisfying slap-kill of larger, more lethargic kinds I encountered in MN.

If you are adverse to soaking yourself in DEET, I've found insect repellent clothing to offer good protection- even at the height of mosquito season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston