Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM

704 posts, read 1,795,149 times

Advertisements

I asked this question in the Dallas forum, but because we're also considering a move from Denver, CO to Houston, I'll sort of repost it here, too:

We've been considering a move to the Houston area from the Denver area for a while. Has anyone made the similar move, or visa-versa? If you're familiar with both areas, how do they compare and contrast?

Specifically, here are a few concerns and questions about that potential move:

* What are Houston's politics? I've heard that it is somewhat like Denver in that it's relatively libertarian. We're pretty conservative, and one of the more appealing things about Texas is that it is, indeed, quite conservative (socially and economically). But I've also heard that Houston and Texas, more broadly, are growing more liberal and ultimately more "purple." Is that also true?

* We're somewhat outdoorsy, and I'm concerned that missing the mountains would be a big hit. I love the Piney Woods, but is there much of that within the Bush turnpine or even close to it (say, in Katy or The Woodlands? Having that hiking is really important.

* Are there a lot of young (and, yes, conservative) families in the area?

* One of the things I actually like about Denver is that people here are absolute goobers. Houston has always struck me as significantly more cosmopolitan--but is it also more sophisticated and, even, "posh?"

* Are the COLs comparable?

Thanks for your advice, experience, and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM

164 posts, read 357,237 times
Haven't done the move but am familiar with Denver (ex + his friends who regularly go there; I'd visit him, but we're exes now for a reason ).

First and foremost, are you basing your decision solely on politics? It seems like it. At the end of the day, the quality of life is what most people seem to be looking for. If you haven't visited Houston yet, I'd definitely recommend doing so before committing to a move.

I would say that Houston is 50/50. In Harris County, the presidential election was virtually split 50/50. Houston elected an openly gay mayor. Twice. Houston has pleasantly surprised me many times (breaking from that unsavory stereotype of Texas that seems plastered in the news), and I like how the city is becoming more progressive in many areas.

To me, the outdoorsy thing is probably a dealbreaker. It can get suffocating down here. After all, Houston is built on a swamp. In the summer, temps soar past 100 degrees. And the humidity. OH THE HUMIDITY! Mosquitos abound. It can be miserable. However, our winters are rather mild, even though we have bouts of cold weather around freezing temps.

For good outdoor activity, you'll have to drive - unless there's something awesome that I haven't discovered or no one's told me about. I do think that Texas has some lovely state parks, but again, they're not in Houston. Also, you will have to plan your outdoor activity accordingly in regards to the weather.

As for young conservative families... Probably? Most of the people I encounter within my age group (25-30) seem to be more progressive to be honest. Even with my friends, we don't sit around and talk nonstop about politics... And if we do talk about politics, we agree on certain points, and on others, we don't. But it's never been a point of contention between us.

I don't think Houston people are more cosmopolitan, sophisticated, or posh, even in areas like Galleria, River Oaks, West U, etc. Houston has good diversity, and I see people of all types. I guess what makes me say this is that when I run outside for errands, I don't feel like I have to get super dressed up. And yes, this is probably me, but when I'm in NYC, I seriously feel like I have to look good all the time.

COL is about the same, but in terms of house/gas, you'll definitely get more for your dollar here. I never found Houston to be significantly cheaper in terms of groceries and restaurants (but this is contingent on where you shop/eat).

Last edited by coconutbutter; 01-18-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,970,400 times
Move here for job opportunities not politics. Its a large city and will have all types of socioeconomic backgrounds.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM

108 posts, read 199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbutter View Post
It can get suffocating down here.
Nonsense, air is way denser at sea level.

It is flat and sea level here so I'm sure Coloradans here can run longer and even see an increase in MPG.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM

164 posts, read 357,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
Nonsense, air is way denser at sea level.

It is flat and sea level here so I'm sure Coloradans here can run longer and even see an increase in MPG.
You know what I meant! Suffocating as in "someone smothering you with a baked chicken" in regards to humidity and heat.

Humidity and heat usually lead to the downfall of people unaccustomed to it. This is perfectly illustrated by Hyperbole and a Half's running stint in Texas - minus the sick part.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,041,295 times
Wanna just trade? I guess things get old but honestly I wouldn't move from Denver unless employment was an issue.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM

58 posts, read 94,617 times
Me and my family moved here four years ago from Chicago. I don't regret it one bit. You get use to the heat within a year or two. We love the warmer weather in the winter. You can pick up a 3/2/2 house for $175,000 used and even new if you go a little further out. The schools are really good in Katy, TX. That's where we went when we heard that a lot of families move to Cinco Ranch. There are seven pools, which includes two water parks. There is a golf course, tennis courts, walking trails, and lots of parks to explore. We have Lake Livingston 2-1/2 hours away for boating and fishing. I happen to have a lakefront property for sale there. There is so much to do in Houston, including rodeos, museums, theatres, and all kinds of festivals.

People come here from all over the world to work. They come from all different backgrounds and cultures. I really don't hear people talking about politics all that much. I have heard some people that came here from other countries were not happy here and went back. Either you love it or you hate it. I'm one of those that love it because the jobs are great and housing is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston