Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times

Advertisements

I live in El Paso, and although El Paso seems slightly more affordable,it appears Houston offers greater income earning potential and much better employment prospects in the field of accounting, finance,banking. Would that be correct?

With the way the economy is, employment opportunities is my top priority.I also dont really care much about the humidity and traffic, El Paso is really hot too. It also appears a bigger city like Houston would offer more social interaction for young proffesionals, making it another plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,707 times
The cost of living is not too bad. My wife and I pay $1200/month in rent for a one bedroom apt. Previously, we were able to live in nice apts for somewhere in the $700 - $800 range; however, we live right across the street from Hermann Park within walking distance of museums, the zoo, jogging trails, green space, etc. I guess our rent is not too bad considering those amenities.

The thing that's really getting to us is transportation costs. If you're lucky enough to live near your workplace, this shouldn't be an issue. But I have a 22-mile commute. I work in the Greenspoint area (North Houston) and my wife works at Westheimer and the Beltway. Our gas and tolls cost somewhere around $500/month. That's just for transportation to and from work and doesn't include recreational driving. Keep in mind that my wife drives a gas-guzzling Tahoe.

We don't see any real difference in food and utilities between Houston and other Texas cities. The food here is really good, though, so you might find yourself tempted to eat out more. Coming from El Paso, I think the same 8.25% sales tax rate applies. I think the one thing that will surprise you is what you get for the money in Houston vs. El Paso when looking for housing. If you don't mind living outside the inner loop, you'll probably be able to find something to your liking and within your budget, but if you want an inner loop location proximal to the city's best amenities, be prepared to pay over $1000 for rent for a one bedroom apt. Real estate isn't nearly as high as Austin, but I think it's just as high as Dallas when positioning yourself closer and closer to city attractions.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,362 times
Yep, it mainly depends on where you want to live. There are apartments with efficiency/studio apartments in DT for 1000 and it goes up from there. But there are also places out in the burbs where you can pay 7-800 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston