Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,067 times

Advertisements

Ok, I got a speeding ticket for going over 10 just outside of UH main. That was the 16 of oct, my court date is next Thursday. I've been told over and over that I just show up to court on that day, plea guilty and ask if I could take the defensive driving course to get the ticket removed from my record. My first ticket btw. Is that true? I don't pay for my ticket? They sent me this thing in the mail. It confused the hell out of me and I called the lady seemed pissed I kept asking questions. It says I can plea guilty and ask if I want to apply to see if I can take the driving class or not. And I send it back via mail. They said I could do it online to where I scan my info and such. I don't know which one to do? Ignore that mail and just go to my court date? It's my first time and I don't know what I'm doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateerror View Post
Ok, I got a speeding ticket for going over 10 just outside of UH main. That was the 16 of oct, my court date is next Thursday. I've been told over and over that I just show up to court on that day, plea guilty and ask if I could take the defensive driving course to get the ticket removed from my record. My first ticket btw. Is that true? I don't pay for my ticket? They sent me this thing in the mail. It confused the hell out of me and I called the lady seemed pissed I kept asking questions. It says I can plea guilty and ask if I want to apply to see if I can take the driving class or not. And I send it back via mail. They said I could do it online to where I scan my info and such. I don't know which one to do? Ignore that mail and just go to my court date? It's my first time and I don't know what I'm doing.
Fateerror,

You do not plead guilty, that would negate Defensive Driving afterall. Call the number on the ticket (the court's number) and ask them that you want to take Defensive Driving. You will be approved if you have not done this recently, I think a year, or more. You will be given a deadline, I can't recall how long it is, I think at least three months. In any case, it is plenty of time, don't wait until the very end because then you run the risk of not getting your certificate in on time since it is mailed to you, not the court.... or you can pay "extra" to have it overnighted to you, but you then need to get it sent in certified so it has the time stamp.

You can do an online course, at your own pace, or you can go to a group setting and knock it out in one day. I'd prefer the one day course, but I just can't afford the time, so I've done mine on the computer.

Even though you will not pay the fine for the ticket, you will pay for the "privilege" of taking defensive driving, plus court costs, plus the DD course.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateerror View Post
Call and ask for defensive driving. No need to appear in court unless you want to contest it.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM

44 posts, read 110,188 times
Yeah, with defensive driving, even though you ended paying the same amount as the fine, but it won't go into your driving record. Also, you can probably get a discount from your auto insurance.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtshd View Post
Yeah, with defensive driving, even though you ended paying the same amount as the fine, but it won't go into your driving record. Also, you can probably get a discount from your auto insurance.
How much do DD classes normally cost??? I took mine back in like 2007 or 2008 and the overall cost was less than the ticket itself. My ticket was about 190 and the class was like around 110. I didn't have to pay the ticket.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM

194 posts, read 524,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
How much do DD classes normally cost??? I took mine back in like 2007 or 2008 and the overall cost was less than the ticket itself. My ticket was about 190 and the class was like around 110. I didn't have to pay the ticket.
Defensive driving classes are less than $30...if you really paid $110 for the class, you seriously got ripped off.

Heck, you can even do it online.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM

110 posts, read 280,615 times
Better yet, contact Lance Smith or one of the other local traffic ticket attorneys and let them handle it for you. Their fee is generally about $80.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,751 times
I had to pay $110 to the courts to take the class and then pay for the class itself which was around $30 and for a copy of my driving record which was $11. I just filled out a form pleading no contest and requested defensive driving. I never went to court.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM

44 posts, read 110,188 times
What I meant was paying the court in order to take defensive driving class (around $120 I think) plus the class itself. The total cost is the same as paying the fine.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtshd View Post
Generally in our city if you pay the fine, take defensive driving class, plus an addition set amount (generally like $100 or 150) they will not report it to your insurance if you have a clean record.. basically pay a little extra to the city not to have your insurance go up.

Agree or disagree ethically a lot of people who are first time offenders do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston