Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,401 times

Advertisements

Not sure what the Joker meme was about but anyways...

I would look for a gated community or some place that is a little difficult to get in and out of. For example, on FM 1464 you have the Old Orchard subdivision which is safe IMO because 1464 tends to be very busy and for someone to come into your home as a part of a home invasion and make a quick getaway is more difficult than Telfair or New Territory.

Truthfully, no place is safe and I can point out all the reasons why but I don't want to be branded a racists so I'll leave that topic alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
I will second pretty much everyone before me:
- there is no 100% safe area
- if safER, then safER compared to what? Sugar Land is one of the safest statistically compared to many Houston areas.
- if you have money and believe gated community would solve your concerns, go with gated. I personally believe that a peace of mind is just in your head and it would be too much to pay for me for a gate and an incompetent security employee. I mean, I think it is too much to pay $1000 extra for a gated community. If someone wants to rob you, they will find a way to get in.

If you are looking for a not gated community, I would pay attention to the following:
- cul-de-sacs are normally safer
- the further from the highway the harder for robbers to find you
- the more turns from the highway the less chance someone will rob your house and will find a way out from your community
- install CCTV, these things are cheap these days (Logitech Alert). Have padlocks on your gates. have sensors (I am serious). If you are ready, have some form of a personal defense (taser, gun).

No area is safe. This does not we have to be scared. Just be aware of the surroundings.

p.s. Check my threads, I have previously posted on this subject.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 AM

286 posts, read 555,319 times
Telfair has had a few armed robberies, people need to use alarms, home invasions and burglaries are happening way too often.

There was a violent one there last September, they arrested at least one person
Sugar Land family recovering after terrifying home invasion | abc13.com

Some kid got sentenced to 16 years for his attempted home robbery in New Territory last May.
Fort Bend County: Deputies chase down burglary suspect in Sugar Land | khou.com Houston

As far as safety goes at least murders aren't common. In 2003 there was the Whitaker boy killing his mom and sibling. In 2004 someone was murdered in Shaq's baby mamas home. Most years nobody gets killed and if it happens they aren't random.

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 02-25-2013 at 05:57 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Not sure what the Joker meme was about but anyways...

I would look for a gated community or some place that is a little difficult to get in and out of. For example, on FM 1464 you have the Old Orchard subdivision which is safe IMO because 1464 tends to be very busy and for someone to come into your home as a part of a home invasion and make a quick getaway is more difficult than Telfair or New Territory.

Truthfully, no place is safe and I can point out all the reasons why but I don't want to be branded a racists so I'll leave that topic alone.
Old Orchard is in ETJ Houston so no police just Fort Bend Sheriff deputies. I don't see any hired constable patrols is that area unlike New Territory and the Pointe Royale subdivision there is gated.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 AM

FYI SLPD's police chief home got robbed a couple weeks ago, his alarm went off and the thieves both minors were arrested. Think they broke the fence and entered from Covington Woods

Crime happens everyone in Houston.

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 02-25-2013 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
If you want safer in Sugar Land, go for the built out communities. First Colony, Sugar Lakes, New Territory. Crime will always be higher in a community that isn't finished building out.

Telfair and Riverstone crime will always be there until the security infrastructure has time to flesh out, Telfair worse because it is such easy access for a lot of the criminal element just north of it.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Police: Sugar Land shooting, chase started as drug deal | khou.com Houston

Well someone just got shot in First Colony, right next to Palm Royale, apparently a drug deal that went bad, so that's what happens to an aunt for taking her nephew into her home.

Not sure what's wrong with some people and how do you not notice all the police in Sugar Land at night, who just happen to be strategically placed along all the major entrances/exits. Seriously SLPD is everywhere at night, not sure why criminals keep coming out here thinking they can get away, SLPD makes there presence very obvious at night.

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 02-26-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
Old Orchard is in ETJ Houston so no police just Fort Bend Sheriff deputies. I don't see any hired constable patrols in that area unlike New Territory and the Pointe Royale subdivision there is gated.
Probably because both the Fort Bend County Sheriff himself, and the Precinct 4 Constable, actually live in Old Orchard (there are signs up too implying patrol.) Having them as your neighbors... that's pretty good security.

I subscribe to crime alert emails in a five-mile radius that includes Old Orchard and Orchard Lakes, and there's almost never any reports in those; everything seems to happen mostly in/near Hwy 6 and Hwy 59 (commercial areas) with the occasional incident in New Territory, Telfair or First Colony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston