Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times

Advertisements

In Venezuela, they have what seems to be designated area or street vendors in what people end up calling "Calle el hambre" (Hunger street) that always end up becoming extremely popular.
That's why restaurant don't want them, they'll lose a lot of money to them.

Caracas de Noche 3: Las Calles del hambre - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,817 times
Yes to Food Trucks. These hard working people should be applauded for going out and making a living, what happened to the great American entrepreneur?. I also think they are the 'cool thing' right now, the good ones will survive, the bad ones will not.

I don't think the fancy pants restaurants need to worry, if I am going out for a sit down meal I am unlikely to arrive, see a food truck and think "Ah heck, I think I'd rather have a taco".

Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
Just remember that Guy Fieri started out with a pretzel wagon.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,933 times
Lots of ignorance regarding food trucks here. A lot of these guys went to high end culinary schools. The Eatsie Boys food truck chef worked at the The Fat Duck in England.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Lots of ignorance regarding food trucks here. A lot of these guys went to high end culinary schools. The Eatsie Boys food truck chef worked at the The Fat Duck in England.
Eatsie Boys is my favorite. I could eat a dozen of their pork snuggies!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,279 times
I love food so I am all for the trucks but I am also on the restaurant owner side. Make it a fair playing field for everyone and let it rip :-)

Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I love food so I am all for the trucks but I am also on the restaurant owner side. Make it a fair playing field for everyone and let it rip :-)
OK but then we have to charge kids with lemonade stands, it's only fair

Old 09-26-2012, 01:55 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,279 times
O youuuuuu :-) Had to ruin it for me :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
OK but then we have to charge kids with lemonade stands, it's only fair

Old 09-26-2012, 01:55 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Which side? Im on the side of the road hoping a food truck will stop to cure my need for a fix!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
No to food trucks. Restaurant owners have to pay lease and fight for renewals while food trucks can park anywhere they want. How many of those food truck cooks are taking food safety classes that is required for all restaurants. I wonder how many health department inspectors can really inspect a food truck, where can they find the expired dates of the meat, or how do they know the right temperature of storage in those food truck, if they have excess left for next day. Where are they getting the food supplies? And most of the meat is already dissected before driving out to the location, so you can't really follow their trail. And fire departments does yearly checkup on restaurants, I wonder how many food trucks have fire extinquishers. Are these food trucks inspected carefully, where are they dumping greases, or trash. I don't think you can follow these trucks without invading their privacy. No matter how clean the food truck is, the people eating these will somehow make a mess. I wonder how many napkins have flown away in fall/winter weather, or how many dropped food from eating, or just sloppiness and how are they disposing these? I don't think a cook can make it in a day without visiting the restroom once, so they are going to use the restroom at a restaurant, or a gas station?!?!? I'm all for having all kinds of food served in different ways and if these food trucks can answer these questions, I'll go yes for food trucks. If they can't, no to food trucks.
Food truck vendors have to be licensed and abide by the same rules and health codes as normal "sit down" restaurants do.

Anyways I am all for allowing food trucks to operate anywhere in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: