Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,502,023 times

Advertisements

Tmobile. I never had problems anywhere in greater houston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 PM

28 posts, read 60,147 times
Had AT&T for 3.5 years in Chicago and the last 18 months since moving back to Houston last May. Not terribly happy with data speeds and frequency of dropped calls (wife complaint) in Houston (I think it's AT&T in general), so we finally made the long-awaited switch back to Verizon this past weekend.

I was in the Verizon store in Pearland (Town Centre area) and a simple test told the story. On the demo Samsung Galaxy S III verizon phone, cellular signal data speed was 36 MB/s (no joke) on the SpeedTest.net app, while the same app yielded a 3 MB/s speed on my AT&T iPhone 4 at the exact same time. It was a no brainer. So now I am rocking a Samsung Galaxy S III and flying on the 4G LTE network. I work in the Galleria area and I picked up 35 MB/s speed this morning. Wife is picking up iPhone 5 on Verizon on Friday.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 PM

391 posts, read 924,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy21st View Post
Please tell us your location and experience with your cell phone provider(s) in the Houston Metro area for all of us that are thinking about switching or just want to know. Thanks !
I live in Greenway Plaza and work in Uptown and have AT&T (iPhone 4S). It seems to work just fine, speedy internet, phone calls don't cut out, good plan. No complaints here.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM

38 posts, read 60,971 times
currently have at&t and its good thus far...every now and then i have an issue with making a phone call and going through but its rare.... i've had verizon and sprint in the past. had alot of dropped and missed calls with sprint and internet was slow since i didnt have a 4g phone. never had issues with verizon...i loved verizon and will go back after my contract with at&t is over with. use to talk in the elevators and underground parking garage while others lost calls or couldnt pickup service. i hate that i had to downgrade to sprint due to financial hardship..i was so spoiled. there is a huge difference...sprint is really good for bargain shoppers thats about it. bill was always less than 100 bucks..only advantage i had with sprint..coverage is okay...nothing to brag about. 1 thing i do miss about sprint was the unlimited data plans. i hate being on a capped data plan :/
alot of people complain about verizon being expensive but they are no more expensive than at&t. i will say that at&t has faster internet speeds and you can browse the web while on the phone, unlike verizon. i was a die hard blackberry fan and owned several when i had verizon..unfortunately the trends have changed and they are no longer in
verizon now does the cap data plans too so im not too excited about that either. curently have a 4g lte htc vivid..love my phone!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
I drive all over the western half of Houston and have T-Mobile. There is a dead spot in Cinco where I lose internet (but can still make and receive calls) - and a couple of places on the Beltway. Agree on the people in the stores - avoid if at all possible. The people that you talk to in customer service on the phone are great. I have called in on some matter - and they will even tell me, without being asked, if there is a new plan that could save money. The actual phones are cheaper if you go into Walmart (the only time I ever step into those pits of hell) and sign up there. Avoid the T-Mobile stores - the phones are more expensive and the people rude.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 PM

38 posts, read 60,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I drive all over the western half of Houston and have T-Mobile. There is a dead spot in Cinco where I lose internet (but can still make and receive calls) - and a couple of places on the Beltway. Agree on the people in the stores - avoid if at all possible. The people that you talk to in customer service on the phone are great. I have called in on some matter - and they will even tell me, without being asked, if there is a new plan that could save money. The actual phones are cheaper if you go into Walmart (the only time I ever step into those pits of hell) and sign up there. Avoid the T-Mobile stores - the phones are more expensive and the people rude.
i have a friend that had tmobile since voicestream...whenever he calls customer service, he is always on hold for a long time smh...then you go in a tmobile store and its 3 employees for 15 customers in there, such a shame...bad experience from a non customer lol. i definitely wouldnt switch to tmobile..my friend puts up with it because he was grandfather in from voicestream and he pays 150 bucks for 3 lines unlimited talk, text, web.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:27 PM

24,085 posts, read 15,194,506 times
AT&T. Champions area

Dropped calls all the time. As soon as the time is up we will be switching to Verizon. About 1/2/ my neighbors work from home. Drive down the entrance street any time and you will see at least 1 many times 4 guys walking around their front yards talking on the phone. I think that roof decking with the foil on the inside, radiant barrier, interferes with cell phone reception.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,030,594 times
Have Tmobile.

Excellent service in almost all areas except inside buildings in Greenspoint

Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
ATT..no service in Rice Village or Piney Point. But those places are known for bad coverage.

I have ATT because of our Rural properties. Seems to have the best service in those areas.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM

240 posts, read 809,989 times
I use an Iphone 3g and have AT&T. I live in Old Katy and have dropped calls all the time. There are two giant cell phone towers within walking distance of my house too - or at least that is what I think they are? I tend to drop calls more frequently within old Katy and around Barker Cypress and Greenhouse off of Interstate 10 plus a few areas around Cinco. I am thinking about switching to another provider once my contract is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston