Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 AM

45 posts, read 136,918 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are relocating to Houston in the summer of 2013 and are looking into schools for our 2 kids (grade 2 and grade 4 for the 2013-14 school year).

We have narrowed down our choices to 3: West U, Horn, Roberts elementary. Do the helpful folks on this forum have information regarding how these schools compare? I read that there might be long waiting lists for these schools, but will this apply if we are directly zoned to these schools? We will rent the first year, so residence will depend on school choice.

Also, looking at the magnet program application which need to go in by early Jan of 2013 for the next school year, any suggestions as to how someone who will have a Inner Loop address the earliest of June 2013 can apply in these programs?

Thank you so much in anticipation!
RAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS909 View Post
Hi,
We are relocating to Houston in the summer of 2013 and are looking into schools for our 2 kids (grade 2 and grade 4 for the 2013-14 school year).

We have narrowed down our choices to 3: West U, Horn, Roberts elementary. Do the helpful folks on this forum have information regarding how these schools compare? I read that there might be long waiting lists for these schools, but will this apply if we are directly zoned to these schools? We will rent the first year, so residence will depend on school choice.

Also, looking at the magnet program application which need to go in by early Jan of 2013 for the next school year, any suggestions as to how someone who will have a Inner Loop address the earliest of June 2013 can apply in these programs?

Thank you so much in anticipation!
RAS
I don't know about those schools specifically, but unless they are magnet only, then if you are zoned to the school you will be able to get in.

As far as applying when you won't have an address until June 2013.... well, that means you miss the deadline and if these schools are popular, you will likely be put on a wait list.

HISD is open enrollment and HISD has been losing students every year. In fact, their enrollment is down 3,000 students this year, so you might still have options even if you miss the deadline. Open enrollment means that your child can go to any school in HISD as long as there is room.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM

482 posts, read 874,912 times
Where are you moving from? Are your children currently enrolled in magnet schools?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I don't know about those schools specifically, but unless they are magnet only, then if you are zoned to the school you will be able to get in.

As far as applying when you won't have an address until June 2013.... well, that means you miss the deadline and if these schools are popular, you will likely be put on a wait list.

HISD is open enrollment and HISD has been losing students every year. In fact, their enrollment is down 3,000 students this year, so you might still have options even if you miss the deadline. Open enrollment means that your child can go to any school in HISD as long as there is room.
The decline in students won't affect those particular schools. Be aware that if you move into a school zone after the school has already filled their classes, they could bus you to another school. You're not guaranteed a spot in your zoned school.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
Roberts is an excellent school

Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
We just started at Horn, which is a Magnet and neighborhood Vanguard. During the March open house, the tour lady told us, if a family moves across the street in July, their kids would obviously be zoned to Horn. They would make all accomodations necessary to try keeping the kids in their home school.

My kid's class is of 24 kids, but if necessary they can push up to 26 spots if needed.
My advise to you is to call HISD and get informed. If you can come visit the schools and meet with the Magnet coordinators individually.

All the schools you mention are desirable schools, and so are the neighborhoods around them.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Condit is actually better than the three schools you mention, in my opinion. Of course, Condit is OTL.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Thank you all for the responses! Westres1 and Houston_2010, we are trying to schedule a trip to visit the open houses in Roberts and Horn this November. I would really appreciate it if you could provide me some feedback about these two schools-both good or what you would like to see improved. Thank you so much for your time!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS909 View Post
Thank you all for the responses! Westres1 and Houston_2010, we are trying to schedule a trip to visit the open houses in Roberts and Horn this November. I would really appreciate it if you could provide me some feedback about these two schools-both good or what you would like to see improved. Thank you so much for your time!
For Horn I can tell you it's well organized, the PTO is VERY involved and the teachers have many years of experience. My neighbors who have kids anywhere from K to 5th grade have never said much negative about the school, the level of learning nor the teachers. My K-grader does have homework (monthly packet M-Th), which I thought a bit odd. But if you do each assignment every day it only takes a few minutes. A lot of it is practicing on their writing of letters/numbers and sight words to enhance their reading. So I'm OK with it. I cannot speak personally about other grade's homework, but my neighbors don't seem to mind. Being a public school they do have standardized testing for the kids. The school offer an on-site after school care program, as well as coordinating with neighboring after school care facilities with bus transportation (YMCA, etc).

The physical building is new, this is the 2nd academic year in the building and always looks clean and trimmed (grass is cut, play grounds are new). They also have new technology for communications (smart boards, computers - Mac & PC). The library is a good size with great variety of books. The kids do have some time to attend music, Phys Ed, and computer classes different days of the week. Their Magnet program is Academics, different from other magnet schools that focus on other valuable skills.

If you live in the vicinity of Horn, then this would be your "home school" and all you need to do is register your child in the Spring (March). If you live away from the zoned area, then you need to apply for the Magnet or Vanguard program or request transfer. I believe this application process is early in the year (first week of January).

The school profile and boundary map are available here: HISD Connect - Schools

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: