Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 13,126 times

Advertisements

After much consideration and confusion as to where we wanted to move to, my husband and I have decided that Houston would be the best move for us. We have two daughters, ages 3 and 6 years, so schools play a big factor. I am doing my BA in Education and would try to find an Assistant Teaching job at an Early Childhood Center before we move. My husband is currently doing EMT training here in Brooklyn, but he will be a Paramedic by the time of our move. He is a Marine Veteran and a former Baltimore Police Officer Would he struggle finding employment as a Paramedic?
We would like to rent, with the option to own, if possible, otherwise just renting for a year or two will be fine.
Which of the following areas would you recommend for a young African-American family of four?

AREAS: The Woodlands, Katy/Cypress, Tomball, Sugarland

JOB MARKET: As mentioned, I am an Assistant Teacher, my husband will be a Paramedic by then. Will we struggle finding employment?

SALARY: What is the salary like for both Assistant Teachers and Paramedics in Houston?

SCHOOLS: Good school districts with decent Pre-Schools, too.

RENT: We are willing to pay a maximum of $1300 for a three bedroom condo, or townhouse.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,075,912 times
I always welcome New Yorkers to Houston! After all, Houston was created by New Yorkers.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,239,879 times
Visit for a job-finding mission before moving. All the areas you mentioned are fine, but you would not like the commute from Tomball to Sugar Land. This city metro encompasses a lot of area. You can be within 15 minutes - or 2 hours - one way.

In several areas, finding a townhouse or condo is not easy - Houston suburbs concentrate on houses. There are areas in which you can rent a 3 bedroom house for your budget.

Forget rent to own, that works out roughly less than 2% of the time. Just rent and worry about buying down the road, when you have become established here.

The main thing is: job first, then rent in the best area for the budget, closest to work.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 13,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Visit for a job-finding mission before moving. All the areas you mentioned are fine, but you would not like the commute from Tomball to Sugar Land. This city metro encompasses a lot of area. You can be within 15 minutes - or 2 hours - one way.

In several areas, finding a townhouse or condo is not easy - Houston suburbs concentrate on houses. There are areas in which you can rent a 3 bedroom house for your budget.

Forget rent to own, that works out roughly less than 2% of the time. Just rent and worry about buying down the road, when you have become established here.

The main thing is: job first, then rent in the best area for the budget, closest to work.
Renting a home would be even better!! I wasn't sure whether it was possible with our budget.

We are not moving until we find employment first. Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,239,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLeneva View Post
Renting a home would be even better!! I wasn't sure whether it was possible with our budget.

We are not moving until we find employment first. Thanks
Good call.

As to which area would be good for a young AA family - I think you will find that Houston is different from what you might think. Segregation tends to fall within economic lines, rather than racial. In other words, don't worry about it.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 PM

79 posts, read 244,557 times
My wife and I moved from NYC, too. Of course, there are some things which Houston can't compare with NYC. The only thing which I really miss NYC is the weather.
When we moved down here one year ago, we paid only $980 per month for rent which include two beds + two baths with 1000 sqft and two parking space in Katy which compared we paid 1500 in NYC with one bed with no parking space. I'm pretty that sure that both of you will be fine in Houston.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,146,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLeneva View Post
That's Houston, top of the list.

Where homes are affordable - Spring, TX (1) - Money Magazine

Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 PM

13 posts, read 28,185 times
I am Planning to Move from California too. Live in Bay area and work at a bank but since I have my family arriving from Pakistan, want to move there too. do have a job right now in as a personal Banker and hope to find a job there..

Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,596,809 times
that price range
Cypress, Tomball, Katy, Spring, Humble

Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,607,969 times
Katy, Cypress, Spring in no particular order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston