Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM

913 posts, read 4,355,078 times

Advertisements

It seems that more and more people I know are going away from costly T-Mobile/AT&T/Sprint etc. plant over to Prepaid Cell Plan. The main obvious reason is the price: I am paying T-Mobile $100 for unlimited voice/unlimited local text (10 cents per international text)/and "unlimited" data (2Gb throttled).

My friends are now using Simple Mobile or H20 or Straight Talk - for GSM. Or Virgin, etc. for CDME phones. Their bill for comparable service is $50.

My question now is: what GSM prepaid plan/provider has proven to be worthy in Houston area? How is the reception around the city?

From what I have learned (below) a Simple Mobile seems to be a good provider for immigrants or those calling and texting overseas - Simple Mobile
For $50 it includes an unlimited voice, text, international text and $5 international voice. Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile network. Anyone using Simple Mobile? What do you make of it?

My second choice would be Straight Talk - Straight Talk.

Then goes the rest of the prepaid mobile provider (source)

RAW PROVIDER DATA - 02/27/2012

T-Mobile Prepaid - Prepaid Cell Phones | No Contract Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile
Coverage: Pay As You Go Coverage Map | Prepaid Coverage Zones | T-Mobile
$30/mo 100m unlim text 5G
$50/mo unlim min unlim text 100MB
$60/mo unlim min unlim text 2GB
$70/mo unlim min unlim text 5G
Throttled to EDGE after data cap
Can disable voicemail
SIMs available on T-Mobile's site for $1, get a free SIM in-store for any of the above plans
WARNING: Activation requires an “activation code” that is not printed on the SIM. It is in the activation kit, but SIMs on eBay DO NOT HAVE THEM usually.

AT&T GO Phone -http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ones/index.jsp
Coverage: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...phone&opt=payg (Click GoPhone)
Pretty much crappy plans for our device. The GNex is a "smartphone" and requires a "data package", all of which suck.
$75/mo ($50/mo plan plus 500MB data) unlim min unlim text 500MB
SIMs on eBay $1, activate online

Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)- SIMPLE Mobile | Unlimited Cell Phone Plans
Coverage: http://www.mysimplemobile.com/Simple...-Coverage.aspx
$40/mo unlim min unlim text 5-8GB (not published) at 119kb/s
$60/mo unlim min unlim text 5-8GB (not published) HSPA+ speeds
SIMs on eBay $1 – activate online

H20 Wireless (AT&T MVNO) - http://www.h2owirelessnow.com UPDATE: Data size changes
Coverage: AT&T Go Phone
$50/mo unlim min unlim text 500MB
$60/mo unlim min unlim text 2GB "500MB at 4x speeds"??

Red Pocket Mobile (AT&T MVNO)Go Red Pocket
$50/mo unlim min unlim text 250MB

Jolt Mobile (AT&T MVNO)- www.joltmobile.com
SIMs hard to find online (ebay, ~$10), activate online
[
Skyview (AT&T MVNO) -http://www.skyvw.com UPDATE: Data size changes
$50/mo unlim min unlim text 500MB
$60/mo unlim min unlim text 2GB "500MB at 4x speeds"??
SIMs Hard to find on eBay, activate online

MyBlack Wireless (AT&T MVNO) - Black Wireless
$60/mo unlim min unlim text 1GB
SIMs Hard to find on eBay, activate online

AirVoice Wireless (AT&T MVNO)- Airvoice Wireless
$50/mo unlim min unlim text 100MB
$60/mo unlim min unlim text 500MB

Pure Talk (AT&T MVNO) - Pure TalkUSA :: Find No-Contract Cell Phone Plans & Affordable Cell Phone Service
$43.95/mo unlim min unlim text 300MB
SIMs hard to find on eBay, activate online

Straight Talk (AT&T/T-Mobile MVNO)Welcome | Straight Talk
Coverage: AT&T and/or T-Mobile (depends on local coverage, select when you order a sim)
Additional Note: ST voice (not data) roams on other networks (including a lot of the little ones), potentially even on sister networks (AT&T will voice roam on T-Mobile and vice-versa). This likely is the largest coverage MVNO out there.
$45.00/mo unlim min unlim text "unlim" data*
* Data usage limits are not specified in the documentation .. the going theory is that 100MB/2GB a month is about "safe", though there's a lot of stories that talk about different (even more) usage. This is the sticking point of ST, you really don't know what metrics they use and you can get cut off .. so YMMV. AT&T users, including myself, are getting the standard att.mvno APN speeds of 7Mb/s or so .. so it's not throttled like the Simple Mobile $40 plan or anything.
SIMs found on their website for $15 with free 3-day shipping. Activate online.

===========
more related info:
provider coverage maps
The Best US Prepaid Data Deals
basic plans comparison
The 10 Best Cheap Prepaid Phone Plans You've Never Heard Of
2012 Prepaid Cell Phones Comparisons

Last edited by behtypa; 08-20-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,499,410 times
T-mobile is already the cheapest. ATT is much more expensive. I think 119kb/s is 2G, so that's a rip off because t-mobile has unlimited 2G after the cap is reached.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM

913 posts, read 4,355,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
T-mobile is already the cheapest. ATT is much more expensive. I think 119kb/s is 2G, so that's a rip off because t-mobile has unlimited 2G after the cap is reached.
Simple Mobile claims that for $50 one gets "unlimited" 4G, etc.
SIMPLE Mobile | No Contract Unlimited Wireless Plans

Sounds like a comparable plan to T-Mobile but half the price.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM

488 posts, read 1,386,949 times
We bought our son an iPhone on Virgin's pre paid plan. The up front cost of the phone was $650 but the plan is $30 per month (after $5 discount for setting up direct pay) for 300min talk, unlimited text and unlimited data (but it is supposed to slow at 2.5GB). He is delighted and we will save at least $500 over a 2 year period.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,503,965 times
It depends on what you use you phone for, and how many minutes you need. If you can do a family plan of 4 or more people, I think Tmobile will work out to be cheaper, and with good service. Not all phones on the plan have to be the same either. Ie, you may want data and unlimited minutes for your phone but limit your kids phones iwth just 300 min talk and text. Often, adding an extra line is only 10-15$ after the first 2 lines.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,338,774 times
I see you left Cricket off your list -- might want to give them a look. I don't know anyone who uses them, so I can't vouch for their network, but the prices are tough to beat. $35 a month for unlimited talk / text. Add unlimited 3G for an extra ten spot.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 AM

2,036 posts, read 3,551,553 times
I only pay about $8/month with Boost Mobile Pay As You Go, 20 cents a minute. Only use maybe 30-40 minutes a month though. But they have an unlimited plan for $50/month too.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,499,410 times
Thumbs up Pretty..darn cheap

T-mobile gets unlimited data plans with no speed throttling on Sept. 5 - Gadgetbox on NBCNews.com

Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,493,089 times
I gave up on overpriced cell phones. My landline is only $15 before taxes.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM

31 posts, read 52,772 times
i second Boost Mobile. Unlimited everything for $50, and for every 6 payments you make on time they reduce your bill by $5. Now that they have a much better phones, it's definitely worth the switch..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: