Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 AM

194 posts, read 440,758 times

Advertisements

I moved to Houston about a month ago for a job, and I must say that this is my least favorite place to live. For me, it's not about nostaligia for my home town. I've lived in El Paso, Chicago, Las Vegas, Beijing, Austin, Dallas, and now Houston. Out of those cities, Houston is my least favorite.

It's not the heat. I'm a slim Texan, so I can endure 100+ temperatures without so much as a complaint. And it's not the unsightly concrete jungle either. In fact, I rather like urban cityskapes. (Though I have to admit that Houston is far less beautfiul than the other major cities I have been to.)

But what really bothers me is how unfriendly the people are here. In the last four weeks, I have been treated SO rudely, by nearly everyone I come across. People drive rudely. Many people will not speak to me, even if I say hi first. And when people find out that I used to live in Dallas, OMG, it sparks a f'ing **** storm of douchebaggery, Dallas bashing, and H-town jock riding.

So what gives? I love to travel. I love to meet new people. I'm excited to be in a new place with heralded restaurants and tons of opportunity. There must be some nice folks here. Where the heck are they?

I really want to like Houston. Please help. Where can a 30-something attorney find some intelligent conversation, or maybe even just a smile instead of a snear?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,610,409 times
Do you work downtown? I would either smile or say hello back.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM

I do work downtown, but I have relegated myself to the tunnels because I get accosted by the panhandlers up top. Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of sympathy for the suffering of others, but even the bums are extremely rude here. I told a beggar I was broke the other day (which I am due to my recent move), and he suggested that I buy him something with my credit card. The nerve!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,802,151 times
Okay. The last sentence brought it all together.

"Dallas lawyer"

I'm afraid I can't help you if there is a component of longing for Dallas, however, I will say that this town can be a tough nut to crack. Most social groups are "full" and making new friends who are established in this city and hang out with essentially the same group of people that they have since kindergarten is difficult. It's much worse on early-mid career professionals since everyone is jockeying for status and club memberships. You're in a tough boat.

Stick it out for a while and wait for nicer weather. People drive and behave in a friendlier manner when the weather is cooler.

What part of town are you living in? Where are you working and who are you working for?

By the way, what works with panhandlers is unflinching eye-contact and a "no" hand gesture. No speaking.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,308 times
I don't know. Maybe the heat is making people cranky.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Okay. The last sentence brought it all together.

"Dallas lawyer"
You're proving my point. I have no love lost for Dallas. I actually enjoyed Austin much more than Dallas. But the Houston locals bash me for no other reason than the fact that I have followed opportunities all around the state. I find that to be rather sad, TBH.

Quote:
I'm afraid I can't help you if there is a component of longing for Dallas, however, I will say that this town can be a tough nut to crack. Most social groups are "full" and making new friends who are established in this city and hang out with essentially the same group of people that they have since kindergarten is difficult. It's much worse on early-mid career professionals since everyone is jockeying for status and club memberships. You're in a tough boat.

Stick it out for a while and wait for nicer weather. People drive and behave in a friendlier manner when the weather is cooler.

What part of town are you living in? Where are you working and who are you working for?
I appreciate this part of your post. I'm really not interested in jockeying for status or club memberships. I just don't want to be treated like a social pariah.

The part of town I live in is definitely part of the problem. I currently live near Inwood, and I hate it. I only moved there because I am working a four-month contract, and I had trouble finding someone who would lease an apartment to me for less than six months. It turns out that my landlord is a slumlord who switched the air conditioner after I viewed the apartment but before I moved in. So, my current AC is a joke, and there seems to be no city ordinance requiring landlords to provide adequate AC. Real classy, Houston.

I am working downtown for a major commercial litigation law firm. I don't want to out myself, so I will not disclose the name, but this firm is ranked highly and has a national presence. I absolutely LOVE my job, and I am trying so hard to like Houston too.

Last edited by JazzOne; 08-13-2012 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
I moved to Houston about a month ago for a job, and I must say that this is my least favorite place to live. For me, it's not about nostaligia for my home town. I've lived in El Paso, Chicago, Las Vegas, Beijing, Austin, Dallas, and now Houston. Out of those cities, Houston is my least favorite.

It's not the heat. I'm a slim Texan, so I can endure 100+ temperatures without so much as a complaint. And it's not the unsightly concrete jungle either. In fact, I rather like urban cityskapes. (Though I have to admit that Houston is far less beautfiul than the other major cities I have been to.)

But what really bothers me is how unfriendly the people are here. In the last four weeks, I have been treated SO rudely, by nearly everyone I come across. People drive rudely. Many people will not speak to me, even if I say hi first. And when people find out that I used to live in Dallas, OMG, it sparks a f'ing **** storm of douchebaggery, Dallas bashing, and H-town jock riding.

So what gives? I love to travel. I love to meet new people. I'm excited to be in a new place with heralded restaurants and tons of opportunity. There must be some nice folks here. Where the heck are they?

I really want to like Houston. Please help. Where can a 30-something attorney find some intelligent conversation, or maybe even just a smile instead of a snear?

Native born Houstonians are nice, the ones who will give you that southern hospitality. Its the transplants, the people who move here from other places that act like D-bags. Have you tried making friends withe the people you work with, or doing something like fantasy football. Thats a good way to meet people.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
By the way, what works with panhandlers is unflinching eye-contact and a "no" hand gesture. No speaking.
I'll give this a try. I feel like such a jerk when I blow people off. But these bums expect you to stop and listen to their nonsense. I have $h!t to do! Keep up with me if you want to talk!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,370,896 times
Are you a Gringo ?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Native born Houstonians are nice, the ones who will give you that southern hospitality. Its the transplants, the people who move here from other places that act like D-bags. Have you tried making friends withe the people you work with, or doing something like fantasy football. Thats a good way to meet people.
We all gather downtown for work, and then we all disperse in the evening. It doesn't seem like my coworkers do a lot of hanging out together. I tried having lunch with one of the attorneys in my office, but he was too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston