Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,612 times

Advertisements

shadd - are you a ME? I know almost a handful of people who are 27-29 earning between 100 - 120k who are MEs with crap engineering business degrees (ok not crap but not MBAs through the UT program here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,020,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas2188 View Post
You accurately point out that there is only one main industry in CT- financial services. People go to work, come home and live in towns with good schools to raise their kids. No emphasis on nightlife or entertainment which is why you feel it sucks so bad. Also, I asked you where you live in CT and when you responded Windsor I expected what you described here. If you had mentioned a town like an Avon Simsburu or West Hartford I'd think your expectations were much different.

That being said, Houston's a great big city with a lot to do due to the size of the population. Remember though, many people are boring salary workers like me attracted by the strong salary and cheap real estate who don't necessarily contribute to a buzzing art and culture scene. The nightlife is much better here if clubs are your thing compared to CT. There's a lot of great things here but you will have to seek them. Your budget will not allow you to live right in the middle of it. Make some friends and enjoy life as you go. No place will be your magic happy answer to your prayers if you're not enjoying yourself along the way.
Thanks for the advice and for the information.
I do not expect Houston to be New York or Las Vegas but as long as its an upgrade from the nightlife here and possesses a somewhat younger more racially diverse demographic I'm okay with that.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:04 PM

63 posts, read 116,163 times
It sounds like you'll be right on for what you'd like to get out of moving. To be honest wen you move you may appreciate some things about ct that you never even thought of before, but that's the great part about getting out and trying something new.

Best of luck to you and I hope it works out well!

Old 08-12-2012, 04:15 PM

135 posts, read 335,500 times
Hmmm, What company do they work for? That's very high on the pay scale and definitely not common. I'm a chem e and that's good money for an experienced engineer.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,020,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas2188 View Post
It sounds like you'll be right on for what you'd like to get out of moving. To be honest wen you move you may appreciate some things about ct that you never even thought of before, but that's the great part about getting out and trying something new.

Best of luck to you and I hope it works out well!
I seriously doubt i'll appreciate anything about CT.

Don't get me wrong its not hell on earth but we just don't mesh up.

I do not have any kids, I hate peace and quiet (night time or even on sundays) and I hate that there is nothing crazy going on.

The good things that most people like about the state are what I hate the most with a passion.

Thanks again for your input though.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,297 times
I would say you would have to at least make $20 an hour here in Texas to live comfortably assuming one is single and has no kids.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 PM

53 posts, read 239,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roswine View Post
I would say you would have to at least make $20 an hour here in Texas to live comfortably assuming one is single and has no kids.
Lol, sorry Jose. No way $20 an hr cuts it these days. You'll survive but by no means comfortably. If I break down my pay I make way more than $20 an hour and I'm not living comfortably. A dollar doesn't go very far anymore. Back in the 80's sure. But definitely not now.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,178,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
How much money do you need to make in order to survive in Houston?

How much do you need to make in order to live comfortably?

Would you need to bring home at least 500$ a week?

I'm trying to get an idea of whats the col is like.

I'm comming from CT where the col is much more expensive.

I was planning on renting a room first.

Any advice and information will be appreciated
I would say $500/week is the bare minimum required for survival in Houston, but compromises will need to be made regarding your health and safety.

Assuming you don't want to live paycheck to paycheck, and I hope you don't, you'll need at least $800 a week to feel "comfortable" in Houston.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,577 times
Houston transplant from NYC.

To be honest, I find much of Houston caters much more towards families and blue collar types than it does for urbanites and single folk. Not too many people move here to experience life in the big city. People move here because they can send their kid to a really good school district on a 50k salary (both parents would only need to make $12 an hour each, hardly a tall order). Now there are a handful of areas that can offer the things the OP is looking for (Montrose and the Uptown/Galleria areas immediately came to mind), however renting with a roommate will be his only option based on his budget. Maybe the OP can relocate to a larger city in CT? New Haven is a college town that is pretty walkable with things to do. Even Hartford has UConn, but I hear the crime rate is really bad. Maybe Philly or Pittsburgh would be a better fit for the OP. I'm just rambling at this point, but if your eyes are set in Houston, you may have to readjust your expectations.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,917,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roswine View Post
I would say OP probably made up their mind in 2012, when they last posted on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: