Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM

60 posts, read 96,444 times

Advertisements

Would you recommend buying a house in Pearland to a mid-20s single professional working in the museum district/ med center who is very fed up with paying intown rent prices and wants to build some equity? And also wants a yard for his dog. Other suggestions welcome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times
Lol serious question? You can move to Pearland if your idea of a night out on the town is going to BJs or TGI Fridays. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about Pearland. At least the woodlands, and sugarland are nicely landscaped to some extent. Pearland off of 288 is just one vast, endless canyon of stucco. If you're that in need of a yard, you can make a much better investment in Westbury since that area is on the rise and the commute to the med center is far better than from Pearland, especially considering the abortion of a freeway named 288.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: This is a PG-13 Forum - leave the crudeness out of it

Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,477 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Pay the extra amount and be where it's fun to be while you're young. Oh and as far as the yard, why not just live near one of the many, many parks in Houston? Also, home ownership is harder than you think and you will feel like it's a major burden if you ever decide you want to sell. Besides, your home is not supposed to be considered an investment.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post comment referred to has been removed

Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 PM

60 posts, read 96,444 times
i would not consider it an investment and never said that. I said i want to build equity. Something I can possibly get back when selling. while there is no possibility of getting anything back when renting.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Well if you think you might like suburban life, then go for it. You definitely aren't alone as Pearland has grown 150% over the last decade, boring or not. It's an easy drive to the fun stuff anytime you want. Plus you get an earlier start on home ownership. Bear in mind that when you hear that a community is 'on the rise' then that means at one point it was in decline. And in a decade or two it could happen all over again. Your beautiful little cottage in that hip, upcoming neighborhood could find itself in the middle of a newly formed (or in many cases resurrected) ghetto. Pearland has been, and is currently more stable in that regard. I promise you that stability in a community is something you will appreciate when you get older.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 PM

103 posts, read 136,225 times

I agree with DanielWayne.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM

369 posts, read 843,964 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

My wife and i live in Pearland and generally I would exclude my self from any town named after a fruit. It's a normal redneck suburb. Hope you enjoy living in the land of Ice houses, no bars..........as Brazoria county is half dry.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Well if you think you might like suburban life, then go for it. You definitely aren't alone as Pearland has grown 150% over the last decade, boring or not. It's an easy drive to the fun stuff anytime you want. Plus you get an earlier start on home ownership. Bear in mind that when you hear that a community is 'on the rise' then that means at one point it was in decline. And in a decade or two it could happen all over again. Your beautiful little cottage in that hip, upcoming neighborhood could find itself in the middle of a newly formed (or in many cases resurrected) ghetto. Pearland has been, and is currently more stable in that regard. I promise you that stability in a community is something you will appreciate when you get older.
Uhm, no, just no. Sorry to break it to you, but when he gets older, most suburbs (especially Pearland) will be ghetto. It's called the ring of decay and it's been happening for decades. The ghetto element in Pearland is alive and booming, especially at the Walmart on 518. Westbury land values already out trump Shadow Creek Ranch (the nice part of Pearland) -- $85 vs $77 per square foot according to HAR. All the neighborhoods "on the rise" are definitely not going to get worst, the inner loop and the neighborhoods just outside are thriving, especially with their prime location.

side note - Pearland is definitely not "an easy drive", it's a good 20 minutes away from anything good, double maybe even triple that during rush hour.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Lol serious question? You can move to Pearland if your idea of a night out on the town is going to BJs or TGI Fridays. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about Pearland. At least the woodlands, and sugarland are nicely landscaped to some extent. Pearland off of 288 is just one vast, endless canyon of stucco. If you're that in need of a yard, you can make a much better investment in Westbury since that area is on the rise and the commute to the med center is far better than from Pearland, especially considering the abortion of a freeway named 288.

Yep, that's right. Move to the Woodlands where the average age is over 50. My ex-mother-in-law lives there too. There's a boatload of stuff to do in The Woodlands, like count how many grackles crapped on you car, or how George Mitchell made a killing off convincing folks to live in a disguised "retirement community" and dub it the best thing since sliced bread. Oh, and of COURSE, building equity in The Woodlands just HAS to be a great investment because every home rises in value at least 5% per year.

In The Woodlands, you can not only go out to BJs or TGI Fridays, but you can also have your pick of 92 different Sonics and 103 Whattaburgers! Yowie!! Same for Sugar Land (which is two words, btw), except there isn't one tree that was actually there before the neighborhood was developed! Damn, what a deal.

Move to The Woodlands or Sugar Land and have an hour commute every day because there's mucho other stuff to do compared to Pearland!!! Yee Haw!!

Pffftt....

And, yes, I live in Pearland and I'm pushing 60. The only criteria I had for building here were 1) be close to my sporting clays club (Greater Houston Gun Club, just 8 minutes away) and a three-car garage. Got both.

So, in all seriousness, if you want just the good commute, Pearland is a viable alternative to buy a home. If I were twenty-something again, I wouldn't buy a house under any circumstances, anywhere in Houston OR Texas for that matter. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepizza View Post
Feces or not.

My wife and i live in Pearland and generally I would exclude my self from any town named after a fruit. It's a normal redneck suburb. Hope you enjoy living in the land of Ice houses, no bars..........as Brazoria county is half dry.
Peatland is a "red neck" suburb now? That's a first, I could see if you were talking about Baytown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston