Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Additionally, the state of Texas has HIGHER property taxes, sales taxes, and utility fees (water, electricity, etc. ) comparaitively speaking. Also, we have a weak public transportation system so personal transportation costs are typicall more expensive.

In my case (from WT to northern NM), I have found this to be very true. People who have never lived outside of TX don't realize how much higher these items are relative to some other places.

Don't forget higher homeowner's insurance--my policy (similar house but bigger than what I had in TX, and the same company) is roughly half of what I paid in Midland.

The overall costs for these items are cheaper, and even having a state income tax doesn't make it as expensive as Texas.

I'm struggling with all of this, as I'm really, really homesick....will it be worth it to move back..?

I think you are generalizing vs. New Mexico. And if you are in a rural area in Texas it will cost less than urban areas.

Texas does have high homeowner's because of the hurricanes. Property taxes are high. But lots of places have high sales taxes now. I didn't get any break moving to Georgia. My auto insurance is higher and utility costs are higher. And you have to pay an arm and a leg for a license tag in addition to the income tax. On the east and west coasts, everything tends to be more expensive than in the center of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,968,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post
Well, Montrose is also extremely white.
It is not as white as The Woodlands. My girlfriend is black (not AA). She is very uncomfortable in The Woodlands but not at all in Montrose. Why? Because the people who hang out in Montrose are diverse, eclectic, and open-minded.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,635,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
It is not as white as The Woodlands. My girlfriend is black (not AA). She is very uncomfortable in The Woodlands but not at all in Montrose. Why? Because the people who hang out in Montrose are diverse, eclectic, and open-minded.
Lol, Im in The Woodlands all the time. It's getting more color im guessing from the spill over in Spring. But wayyyyyy two different vibes. Not to mention Montrose is in the loop and different groups chill out in that area all the time. I did get that uncomfortable feeling when I was in the heights tho this weekend.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times
Quote:
Maybe both of you are being too quick to judge.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,801,818 times
Quote:
I thought Houston was "diverse." I thought everyone would be accepted.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM

44 posts, read 73,380 times
RE: The cost of living issue, hands down (for us--married with children) Houston is MUCH less expensive. We own in West U, a large older home. It cost less than $700k. Kids go to the very excellent public school, so no tuition cost.
We came from DC, had a large older home. It is worth $900k. Schools just totally sucked, and we had to go private (or live in the suburbs and have a hellish commute, which we would never do, quality of life).
Taxes=more in DC, but only slightly.
I suppose our transportation costs are slightly higher here because we can't walk anywhere. Although there is no real commute for anyone in our family either.
While it is obviously more expensive to live inside the loop, it is still less expensive than having an inner-loop style living experience in most other cities.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,232,418 times
I like Houston very much overall. I moved here from in 2008 after living in Miami for 8 years.

Pros.

1. Super affordable housing.
2. Great neighborhoods
3. Excellent environment for business = great job opportunities
4. TMC
5. Great schools ranging for elementary straight up to colleges/universities.
6. Diversity
7. Laid back and very friendly for a city so large.
8. Great highway system
9. Great food!
10. Great entertainment (Sports, theater, museums, fairs, etc.)

Cons.

1. High property taxes
2. High sales tax
3. High insurance rates
4. Lack of good public transportation for a city this large.
5. Way too many strip malls and Walmarts.
6. 1-45 within the Houston city limits can look "ugly"; but what city doesn't have "ugly" areas?
7. Crazy drivers who don't know how to drive...not aggressive, just dumb.
8. Summers can be super hot...but hey, we have great winters. So that cancels this one out.
9. No amusement park within the metro area..have to go to S.A or Dallas.
10. Crime in some areas a real problem, but what large city doesn't have that issue?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
The difference between Houston and (Boston/New York) is a that the vast majority consider those two places 'destinations' and because of that ...there is a higher demand for people to live in those places....and they are willing to pay higher cost of living prices because those cities offer 'quality of life' amenities.

People typically come to Houston because it provides job and they can live inexpensively in a sprawled our suburb if they so choose. i can tell you that most do not choose Houston because of the quality of life factor.

I know most don't want to hear this but an increase in quality of life = increased demand= higher property taxes...hence the inner loop is more expensive than a typical suburb like Humble.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, Houston has very little natural aesthecially pleasing characteristics so we can only make a difference via design and city planning and while we are making some strides it is still at 'turtle speed'.
According to the lastest stats, Houston and Texas is a "destination" also. Just ask the thousands who moved here last year.

While New York has Central Park and DC has the Smithsonian, Houston has jobs. So I agree with you on that point. However, once in Houston these same folks "discover" Houston and learn to like it.

Last edited by NYer75; 07-17-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I thought Houston was "diverse." I thought everyone would be accepted.
It is both Southernboy. If you don't feel comfortable in The Heights, Montrose, Uptown/Galleria, Upper Kirby, West U areas, Mid-town, etc...you won't feel comfortable ANYWHERE! We call that having "issues".

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you are generalizing vs. New Mexico. And if you are in a rural area in Texas it will cost less than urban areas.

Texas does have high homeowner's because of the hurricanes. Property taxes are high. But lots of places have high sales taxes now. I didn't get any break moving to Georgia. My auto insurance is higher and utility costs are higher. And you have to pay an arm and a leg for a license tag in addition to the income tax. On the east and west coasts, everything tends to be more expensive than in the center of the country.
Well, NM is what I have to compare it to. I saw some big items drop, but others increase as well.

The difference in homeowner's insurance and property taxes is (to me) quite substantial.

What they don't get you for in those two items--they will somewhere else, depending on what you use! Vets are extremely expensive here, and most services (automotive, electrical, plumbing, etc.) will cost you more overall in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: