Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM

954 posts, read 1,553,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I am seriously ticked with United for various reasons, not the least of which is their seemingly childish reaction to city council's recent vote. Despite that, I think many people are too optimistic that other major airlines will rush to add **significant** service to IAH as United diminishes its own. (I admit I'll be happy if I wind up being wrong on that.) However, what I think is more likely to happen is implicit in this quote from the Chron's recent article on Spirit announcing service from IAH:

"The Florida-based airline said Tuesday that starting Sept. 30, it will fly twice daily to D-FW, with connections there to Baltimore, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tampa, Portland, Ore., and Mexico City."
Why anybody in Houston would be happy about this new entrants service at IAH is beyond me because it's just an example of IAH being subordinated to another airport,i.e., connecting flights instead of nonstop service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 AM

18,152 posts, read 25,368,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Why anybody in Houston would be happy about this new entrants service at IAH is beyond me because it's just an example of IAH being subordinated to another airport,i.e., connecting flights instead of nonstop service.
nonstop is nice,
it's nicer to get a cheaper flight so I can spend that extra wherever I'm going.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,968,662 times
Quote:
You need alot of gates for another hub and spoke airline to come in and fulfill non-stop needs. Until United looks like it's about to fall or sell off alot of it's gates, no airline is going to step up and fill the non-stop gap. Picking up one or two gates just makes Houston a destination for that airline from it's hub.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM

613 posts, read 1,003,874 times
Quote:
Why? Because most people view a broader choice of airlines and more competition as a good thing. It places pressure on a company like United to either improve their service or die.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Why? Because most people view a broader choice of airlines and more competition as a good thing. It places pressure on a company like United to either improve their service or die.
If you ask United or JimBaker488...
they'll tell you that competition is bad and that monopoly is good.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM

391 posts, read 924,140 times
Quote:
The people in Houston that are NOT happy about Spirit coming to IAH are United Airlines and JimBaker488. Spirit doesn't have a hub in Houston so OBVIOUSLY we are a connecting city just like the majority of cities Spirit serves. Didn't United say they NEED connecting flights at IAH to fill up these international bound planes!?!!? Well BOOM, here is some more potential people to stick in these planes then!

Spirit Airlines serving IAH means more competition and choices for IAH and Houston area travelers. Didn't United say they welcome competition??? I mean come on, you are obviously affiliated with United in some way, either work for them or like a 51% stakeholder LOL... wait, United welcomes competition so long as it doesn't affect their business model. If they have to rethink the way they do business then competition is bad bad bad!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 AM

954 posts, read 1,553,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
The people in Houston that are NOT happy about Spirit coming to IAH are United Airlines and JimBaker488. Spirit doesn't have a hub in Houston so OBVIOUSLY we are a connecting city just like the majority of cities Spirit serves. Didn't United say they NEED connecting flights at IAH to fill up these international bound planes!?!!? Well BOOM, here is some more potential people to stick in these planes then!

Spirit Airlines serving IAH means more competition and choices for IAH and Houston area travelers. Didn't United say they welcome competition??? I mean come on, you are obviously affiliated with United in some way, either work for them or like a 51% stakeholder LOL... wait, United welcomes competition so long as it doesn't affect their business model. If they have to rethink the way they do business then competition is bad bad bad!!!
If Houston had an announcement for nonstop service by a new entrant at IAH to places like Baltimore, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tampa, Portland, etc. that would be impressive as DFW will have with the new nonstop service by Spirit. But just sercvice with a connection/transfer at DFW, why is that something to celebrate ? Heck if I were you I'd just hop on the cattle-car out of Hobby because often you can get flights from there without plane changes, though you've got to make multiple stops along the way. You guys in Houston need to raise your expectations - nonstop service is the name of the game.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If Houston had an announcement for nonstop service by a new entrant at IAH to places like Baltimore, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tampa, Portland, etc. that would be impressive as DFW will have with the new nonstop service by Spirit. But just sercvice with a connection/transfer at DFW, why is that something to celebrate ? Heck if I were you I'd just hop on the cattle-car out of Hobby because often you can get flights from there without plane changes, though you've got to make multiple stops along the way. You guys in Houston need to raise your expectations - nonstop service is the name of the game.
It obviously makes more sense to Spirit (being they have a hub at DFW) to offer service to only DFW at first and then see about adding more routes from IAH. It would be absolutely foolish of an "ultra low cost carrier" to start up in a new city adding multiple routes all at one time. Maybe other airlines have the margins available to them to take that risk, but Spirit probably can't afford to take that risk. If the IAH-DFW route works good, then I would imagine they would offer routes from IAH to their other hubs such as ORD, FLL, LAS and DTW.

I bet you have something bad to say about Turkish Airlines starting up at IAH and Frontier Airlines moving their operations back to IAH next week!

I have no idea what you have against IAH, Houston, Southwest Airlines (all adds up to a United employee or significant United shareholder) but try looking at change from the bright side.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
I have no idea what you have against IAH, Houston, Southwest Airlines (all adds up to a United employee or significant United shareholder) but try looking at change from the bright side.
Monopoly is good, competition is bad ..... for United

Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Monopoly is good, competition is bad ..... for United
HAHA agreed!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston