Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,833,326 times

Advertisements

Try San Francisco on for size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM

24,085 posts, read 15,200,084 times
That is a job for those folks. They make a good bit of money. We had to live in some apartments in Dallas at Central Expressway and Walnut Hill. They did their shift change each night as we were coming in. Fast food and 2 beers each. Then they would get into the big nice van and get a new corner. I became very familiar with the group as I was house hunting in the neighborhood.

We are told by LEO in Houston that many are wanted for crimes. If you see one, call the cops.

Support your favorite homeless shelter.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,068,176 times
the homeless shelters in houston are horrible and abusive. support local food kitchens and drop ins i.e. Beacon, Lord of the Streets, Palmer Way etc

Old 06-24-2012, 12:22 AM

83 posts, read 313,378 times
I remember one guy held up a sign in Alief that said "Need money for liquor, at least I'm being honest." I gave that guy 10 bucks.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 AM

7,547 posts, read 11,610,410 times
There is this one lady with blond hair that stands at 610 & MLK I have seen her on a off for 6 to 8 yrs she is either crack head or a hardcore drinker it is sad some of these people can not be helped what so ever

Old 06-24-2012, 01:32 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,007,402 times
I'm always surprised to find out that people actually give to them. I'm sure some are legit but just knowing that SO many aren't I just can't.

Houston's too hot to be standing out holding a sign. The only people I feel bad for are the Liberty Tax men and women workers in those Statue of Liberty costumes holding signs. Too hot.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 AM

235 posts, read 805,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We are told by LEO in Houston that many are wanted for crimes. If you see one, call the cops.
Operator: 911. What's your emergency?
Crone: Um, I saw a homeless guy.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,455,411 times
I have seen many more homeless people in Downtown San Diego than in Downtown Houston, but I do see more people standing at intersections asking for money in Houston than in San Diego. Thankfully my windows are tinted pretty dark, so if I don't roll them down they just keep walking although some will stand there and stare into my window still..

Others I have seen are in Katy on Fry Rd. one guy in particular walks the parking lots of Wal-Mart and Krogers saying that he is down here from Seguin or somewhere like that visiting a family member in the hospital but needs gas money to get back home. I gave it to him a couple times (only spare change) but then I started seeing him quite frequently and called him out on it.

If I feel that I am in a situation where the person could get aggressive, I tell them that I only have some change to give them and thats it.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

235 posts, read 805,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Others I have seen are in Katy on Fry Rd. one guy in particular walks the parking lots of Wal-Mart and Krogers saying that he is down here from Seguin or somewhere like that visiting a family member in the hospital but needs gas money to get back home. I gave it to him a couple times (only spare change) but then I started seeing him quite frequently and called him out on it.
If you had given him more he'd be back in Seguin already

Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 PM

6 posts, read 22,457 times
I seem to get approached A LOT. I guess it's because I look innocent (I've been told) and they think I'll give. I have a big heart, but I would never give them money. One guy specifically asked me for money so he could get vodka! This was outside the Westheimer Spec's in Montrose. I just walked off. Many ask for cigs (I'll sometimes gives those, as they're not benefiting me, either).
I live in the Montrose area now, but I used to live around Westheimer & Hillcroft. I would always see this blonde, tan woman (I nicknamed her ''Jewell'') asking for money; I bought her a Boston Market meal once because she looked so pathetic and sad.
The homeless beggers were kind of a shock when I first moved here, but I've gotten used to them. Like a previous poster said, they're usually polite and don't act hostile if you refuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston