Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 AM

15 posts, read 32,541 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Here's the situation; I'm starting P90X on Monday, so it looks like this is gonna be my last chance to eat "regular" food for a while here. I feel like a really good plate of bbq would be a fitting last meal before I go on dietary lockdown. What's my best option in (or near) the loop for barbeque? I'm not skiddish about bad neighborhoods or anything-especially since the best food shacks seem to be in slightly shady areas of town-so any recommendations will do. Any other relatively cheap food ideas near the center of town are welcome as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,491 times
There's always Goode company BBQ on Kirby. I know there some others, but always seem to end up there.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
Hands down Gatlin's on 19th St. It'll change your life.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 AM

118 posts, read 254,162 times
Goode Company on Kirby.
I live near Gatlin's and drive across town for Goode Co.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 AM

563 posts, read 910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Hands down Gatlin's on 19th St. It'll change your life.
This has to be the best all around BBQ joint in Houston. They have gone up on their prices a little bit here lately and if you still want the larger sides with your one or two meat entree I would order it to go and then sit down and eat.

If you're ordering an entree you have to try the spicy green beans or dirty rice. If your ordering brisket you should try to get it moist because this is one of their specialties along with the ribs (which have gone down hill a little bit). I would also recommend the peach cobbler which is probably some of the best - or the best - I have ever had.

The line can be long and there are only 3 tables inside with four long picnic benches outside under a covered awning so getting there early or on an off time would be your best bet.

Best BBQ Houston - Houston BBQ Catering - BBQ Restaurant Houston - Best BBQ Texas - Gatlin's BBQ

If you're just looking for some good brisket or a brisket sandwich I would try Lenox BBQ and get it to go. There is also Thelma's that's wotrth looking into. BBQ is very subjective and some of the best known places might taste like crap to you or the reverse. It's best for you try them all if you have the time.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM

563 posts, read 910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock9000 View Post
Hi folks,

Here's the situation; I'm starting P90X on Monday, so it looks like this is gonna be my last chance to eat "regular" food for a while here. I feel like a really good plate of bbq would be a fitting last meal before I go on dietary lockdown. What's my best option in (or near) the loop for barbeque? I'm not skiddish about bad neighborhoods or anything-especially since the best food shacks seem to be in slightly shady areas of town-so any recommendations will do. Any other relatively cheap food ideas near the center of town are welcome as well.
I just wanted to add that if you try one of the places we have mentioned would you mind posting and telling us what you thought of it?

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 32,541 times
Will do. Goode and Gatlin's are both about the same distance from my house, so I'll have to figure out how to choose between the two somehow.

Any East End recs? That side of town feels like it just has to have some great hole-in-the-wall places.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
I also like Gatlin's because it's a family run restaurant. And they're super nice folks. But the wait can be long if you go at the wrong time. I'd recommend calling ahead.

BTW, good luck on the P90X. Coincidentally we're supposed to start it today. But it may end up being the P1X. We'll see...

Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,512 times
Gatlins or Burns BBQ (just outsied the loop). Rudys is pretty good as well (just outside the loop)

Goode Company has dry brisket and not very good BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: