Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM

954 posts, read 1,551,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Houston to Auckland was a questionable route, clearly United has figured that out which is why they canceled service.
I'm sure United always knew that IAH to Aukland was a route with marginal profitability prospects, but decided to try to build it up and make it a success,
as they certainly did have a high priority to develop and grow their largest hub. And then the chances for success on this very long but thin were route were probably higher than before because of the new and advanced technology offered by the 787. And it's not like they weren't trying to do Houston any favors, however that's all changed now, or atleast under the incumbent government administration in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,965,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I'm sure United always knew that IAH to Aukland was a route with marginal profitability prospects, but decided to try to build it up and make it a success,
as they certainly did have a high priority to develop and grow their largest hub. And then the chances for success on this very long but thin were route were probably higher than before because of the new and advanced technology offered by the 787. And it's not like they weren't trying to do Houston any favors, however that's all changed now, or atleast under the incumbent government administration in Houston.
Houston doesnt need favors from united. They're too expensive. Man, spinning this disaster must be hard on you Jim. United went about their campaign in the worst possible way and now they're trying to top their idiocy with the layoff announcement. What better way to **** off your customers...

If you were at all objective, you would have to admit United screwed up on the "feel sorry for us" front.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,290,039 times
Default Quoting self...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Only the young readers may believe this hype, this lame excuse. Any of us who have been working for decades know what the truth is, and it is simple. United "merged" with Continental, they have too many employees, an opportunity came along to give them a very good excuse to free themselves of redundancy/dead-weight. They are using the Southwest situation to their advantage so they can feel righteous about it, and poke at the eyes of Houston at the same time. It does not fool me.
I'm quoting myself due to this latest news... just as I predicted, they knew they were going to lay people off last year and tried to use the Southwest deal as an excuse.

United Airlines cutting more than 600 jobs - Houston Chronicle

Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
Quote:
I'm quoting myself due to this latest news... just as I predicted, they knew they were going to lay people off last year and tried to use the Southwest deal as an excuse.

If you read this thread and comments on chron.com, abc.com etc. you can tell that Houston is still pretty bedazzled by the fact that a Chicago company took over.

It just really goes counter to everything a Texan is taught.

On the one hand, United is the [language] airline on earth and can't be saved.

On the other hand, when they try to something about it....

Last edited by Oildog; 01-25-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It just really goes counter to everything a Texan is taught.
Not really.... money rules in Texas

Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM

195 posts, read 284,614 times
Quote:

I don't think these layoffs have anything to do with the southwest thing. As the article states most of the layoffs will be in Chicago. Its probably more to do with the fact that they lost $720 million last year.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM

954 posts, read 1,551,713 times
I told you guys and told you not to get Jeff PO'd, well amazingly you did just that anyway and now you're getting some payback. All of this for a couple a flights a week between Hobby and Mexico so more cartel guys could come into Houston.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,058,987 times
The cartels arent flying commercial, bro

United has more in profits in 2011 than they lost in 2012, and are doing financially very well now. they should have never done the merger. they were told it would result in a sh**fest and that is what they found out. if they can get their business together like Delta ect they will be making money hand over fist with gas prices being steady. dont feel sorry for them.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,965,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I told you guys and told you not to get Jeff PO'd, well amazingly you did just that anyway and now you're getting some payback. All of this for a couple a flights a week between Hobby and Mexico so more cartel guys could come into Houston.
So you think smisek is running his company into the ground just to get back at Houston. I think shareholders should fire him fast before he loses it completely.

Or are you just talking out your $&@ as always?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Not really.... money rules in Texas
Good point.

When I stated to some of my Houston friends that there was no chance in hell they were going to keep operations in Houston and that they would move to Chicago, they thought I was crazy.

"Texas is so much more business friendly!"

It's as if quality of living issues don't factor in to the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston