Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,979,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
So I'm confused, are you suggesting that traffic laws be unenforceable from midnight til 6am?

Aren't most bars still opened during the week? I imagine they wouldn't stay open if people weren't coming in.
Sugar Land police will pull you over for going five over. How is that helping anything, exactly? Especially when some cops issue the tickets in the turning lane in the middle of the street. Or when cops speed, only to get into the fast food parking lot for some grub. Speed limits are ridiculous. There will be a two lane country road with a 40MPH speed limit, and then a four lane road with a 35MPH limit, when the road can clearly handle cars going 45+. Cops will be camped out on those roads. It's one money making business. Pretty clear.

Where I live, they shut down a road similar to Highway 6 in Sugar Land down to one lane, checking for insurance and licenses. This happens on all nights and there will be tow trucks waiting to tow a car. Now, people just go around that road (make a left and go down a parallel street in a different jurisdiction).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM

833 posts, read 1,891,771 times
How is ticketing people for breaking the law costing tax payers money? They are generating revenue so we don't have as many taxes. If you don't like having speed limits move to Germany and drive the autobon.

Would you rather cops sitting in a donut shop instead of patrolling out streets making a presence telling criminals to stay away. If you are about to commit a crime would commit a crime right after you see a cop sitting around the corner finishing giving someone a speeding ticket.

Oh and kudos to setting up stops checking for insurance. Much better then getting hit by that idiot with no insurance and stuck paying the bill on your damaged car.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
How is ticketing people for breaking the law costing tax payers money? They are generating revenue so we don't have as many taxes. If you don't like having speed limits move to Germany and drive the autobon.

Would you rather cops sitting in a donut shop instead of patrolling out streets making a presence telling criminals to stay away. If you are about to commit a crime would commit a crime right after you see a cop sitting around the corner finishing giving someone a speeding ticket.

Oh and kudos to setting up stops checking for insurance. Much better then getting hit by that idiot with no insurance and stuck paying the bill on your damaged car.
Cops arent payrolling the streets if all they are doing is camping out with their radar gun. If someone knows where the cops are (all in one place giving out tickets), that makes it easier to commit a crime. And the cops i talked about with the checkpoint are just doing it for city revenue, since it is such a small city (like 1000 people and completely surrounded by Arlington). Hell, they pulled a friend over because the cigarette smoke looked "suspicious".

Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,452,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Sugar Land police will pull you over for going five over. How is that helping anything, exactly?
Look, I recognize that some speed limits may be set too low... and some set too high. I also recognize that getting pulled over for going 5 over is a bit extreme. Still, driving is and always has been a privilege in this country, not a right. If you don't follow the rules, eventually you're going to get caught. If you don't like getting tickets for driving over the speed limit, there is a very easy solution.

And as others have said, at least they're out there doing their jobs and being visible rather than hanging out in a parking lot somewhere watching movies on their ipads. A visible police presence (even if just for traffic stops) certainly helps in other ways.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:01 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,044,607 times
Revenue generation. It's a beautiful thing. As is fishing for DWI & DUI, of course.

http://www.speedtrap.org/city/11617/Sugar%20Land

Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Revenue generation. It's a beautiful thing. As is fishing for DWI & DUI, of course.

Sugar Land Texas Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange
Wow, some gems on there. Saw a trap posted on the site for the city I live in after just seeing cops parked on that route. It's ridiculous that a road can have a 55MPH speed limit that drops by 15 for no reason at all, especially when the road design gets better for the 40 MPH limit. There was a motorcycle shop and this fool was trying to blend in with the other motorcycles. TOO BAD I SAW YOU DOG!!!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,842,570 times
Quote:
Sugar Land police will pull you over for going five over. How is that helping anything, exactly?
I was the passenger when the Fort Bend County Constable in Sugar Land pulled my husband over for going 22-23 in a 20 mph school zone. This was when school was in session so no children were around. I thought that was a bit extreme.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM

117 posts, read 230,115 times
I really don't like the Sugar Land Police Department, they pursue the most worthless, unimportant and petty actions as if they were searching for a serial killer.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,044,607 times
Quote:
Wow, some gems on there. Saw a trap posted on the site for the city I live in after just seeing cops parked on that route. It's ridiculous that a road can have a 55MPH speed limit that drops by 15 for no reason at all, especially when the road design gets better for the 40 MPH limit. There was a motorcycle shop and this fool was trying to blend in with the other motorcycles. TOO BAD I SAW YOU DOG!!!!!
Yeah, I'm always glad to show that site to others. It's definitely saved me from some absolutely pathetic attempts at revenue generation. Unbelievable the things that happen on America's roads. So sad.

And that cop hiding in the motorcycle shop? Wow. Outright revenue generation, absolutely nothing to do with safety. If they cared about safety, they would be visible and proactive. But that's just it....they don't actually care about safety. They just pretend to, since it's what the public wants, but there's no money in it.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,801,548 times
The SLPD are just bunch of leaches. They need money for their fat SUV and fat life style. It takes them 45 minutes to respond to an alarm but they're like cockroaches on HW6 giving speeding tickets and tickets for other minor crap. Wish there was a way to vote them out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston