Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,636 times

Advertisements

I have relocated a number of times. Does sound like the Relo company leaves a bit to be desired. From a policy standpoint, however, the Relo follows the company policy as dictated to them. Company policy is usually pretty transparent. When there is confusion on terms of re-sale of the home, length of time in temporary housing, costs, etc. the employee often bears a lot of the blame. The relo policy is usually pretty clearly laid out on these issues, can't blame the company if you did not read them carefully and fully understand them. Cannot blame the company if you failed to ask the relo company what the cost of their temporary housing was. Anyone who has relocated enough knows there is a company budget for these thing and the quicker you blow through that budget, the less flexibility you have.

You can aim your anger at the relo company and the employer, but I'd be pretty surprised if a lot of the blame didnt belong at your feet a well.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM

381 posts, read 1,093,520 times
About the apartment rent: my family rented a corporate apartment from a corporate housing company for about $3,360 month in 2008 in Houston. The apartment was a high-end 2 bedroom in midtown and was completely furnished with utilities included. The apartment probably rented for 2K per month through the apartment leasing office (unfurnished, no utilities).

Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
Everyone is being too harsh on the OP. They most likely were not given a choice in relo company, temporary apartment locations (she already mentioned the bizarre location in regards to actual work location). Add in weird inspection requests before an actual offer on the home - they ate up the equity in the home - in a most-likely weak market.

The OP had no business even suggesting Houston as the problem - it lies totally at the feet of the relo company. At the end of the day, the relo company abused the OP.

crone gave the best advice - report the BS to the company (so hopefully, future employees don't suffer), save up, and buy a new life here.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,655 times
Sorry to hear. Actually, thanks for sharing your experience. I think it's good that you're sharing it so others can learn. Whew, that relocation company is not good. Did your husband give feedback to your employer? The next time when I move, I'm going to ask very carefully about the relocation and the inspections.

By the way, it is not normal to put up thousand of the dollars into a home before selling it. We did the same thing, upgrade all and fixing it all over be before putting it on the market. However, in our case, we chose to it b/c rather than the relocation forcing us to do. The inspection from the seller came up with zero issue.
Your company will not pay you a lump sump because of the legal and tax implication. It is not a simple as you think.

When I had my temporary housing, the cost was ~$3500/month for a 2-bedroom apartmnet. I thought it was a joke because I can probably find something equivalent for about $1500/month. I guess they do charge premium for these types of transactions and the relocation company do make money. However, in my case, my company is paying.

Also, I just found out that when I'm buying the new home, my real estate person has to pay 30% of the commission to the relocation company. What a steal.

Last edited by MNCold; 04-03-2012 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: Adding information

Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
Sorry to hear. Actually, thanks for sharing your experience. I think it's good that you're sharing it so others can learn. Whew, that relocation company is not good. Did your husband give feedback to your employer? The next time when I move, I'm going to ask very carefully about the relocation and the inspections.

By the way, it is not normal to put up thousand of the dollars into a home before selling it. We did the same thing, upgrade all and fixing it all over be before putting it on the market. However, in our case, we chose to it b/c rather than the relocation forcing us to do. The inspection from the seller came up with zero issue.
Your company will not pay you a lump sump because of the legal and tax implication. It is not a simple as you think.

When I had my temporary housing, the cost was ~$3500/month for a 2-bedroom apartmnet. I thought it was a joke because I can probably find something equivalent for about $1500/month. I guess they do charge premium for these types of transactions and the relocation company do make money. However, in my case, my company is paying.

Also, I just found out that when I'm buying the new home, my real estate person has to pay 30% of the commission to the relocation company. What a steal.
Even worse now - between 38 - 40%.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Im closing this as it seems to be a complaint against the relo company. Although having relo'd several times I agree that the OP didn't plan this as well as they could have. Temp apartments often get paid for 30 or 60 days while you look for a house. After that they are VERY expensive, $4k is not out of line. Tough to sell when your house is underwater...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston