Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,280,433 times

Advertisements

We are doing somewhat minor remodeling in our bathroom and were curious as to what sells in Houston (we will sell the home in less than a few years). Do people like big spa tubs, or large modern showers? There is a bathtub in the second bathroom, so I was thinking of putting in a nice large tile shower with glass, etc. There was (until last night) a 60X42 tub fixture, and it was nice, the kids used it as their personal jacuzzi, but the wife and I never used it as a bath, relaxing. The only time it was filled with water was to wash the kids at the same time.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,661 times
In an on-suite master bath? Both large shower and garden whirlpool tub.
Small secondary baths can usually get away with a shower only when its obvious there's no room for a tub, but I wouldn't forgo a nice tub in a master bath. It's an added luxury that I think most people find enticing, even if it's not used very often. Although the right buyer could be wowed by an impressive giant shower with dual sets of body jets, rain shower head, etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,178,876 times
We wash our mini-schnauzer in the tub.

Ronnie

Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 15,106,139 times
We have had one of those big jacuzzi tubs in the last 3 houses. The grandsons liked them when they were babies.

You are lucky Houston Ronnie. My dog won't even get in it. She likes the shower, too.

The RE folks can let you know if people are wanting them. We have 2 other tubs and and a jacuzzi Hot tub thingy on the pool. Don't use them either. I think we used that pool spa once when the house was new. The sil got in it at Christmas one year. Made a good picture, glass of Oban and a Cuban cigar with steam coming up.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,940,501 times
Good question. I have a big tub in the master that I have never used, plus a big shower. All guests who have come by have been more impressed with the shower. It has a bench, adjustable flows etc. Would be perfect for two if there was another shower head...

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Default Meh.. not really what I'd call Suite...

This is a circa 1983 home, the master bath is larger than most homes of that age, but not what can be compared to modern suites. The layout is the typical 80s style, his/her walk-in closets on each side of the bath.

There is not enough room for a tub, and shower, but the bath was a large/jacuzzi type, so there is a lot of room for a big tub, or a big shower.

Funny, many of the responses are typical... they look great when you buy the house, but the reality is they are not used as much as one would think. I guess the novelty wears off, sort of like getting a pool.

But yes, I'd be interested in what the real estate people think. Do most buyers balk at a master bath without a tub even if there is a modern tile/glass shower only?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,661 times
Well if there is room for only one, then a nice big shower for sure.

Like i said above, baths tend to be a luxury, for when you actually have the time to draw a bath and relax for a while. Showers are the daily quick way to get clean in America. So in this case, I would do a REALLY nice shower. Go all out.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 24,057 times
We have a large, two person shower with a bench in our 1968 home. No bath.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,143,514 times
We have a large master bathroom. We have a shower with a bench seat, and it has 5 shower heads (full body). I wish the shower was larger. We have a 6' jetted bathtub that our girls use 99.9% of the time for their baths. We used to use the tub until we got a hot tub for our back yard. Now we never use the tub except for bathing the kids.

I would have a nicer shower and simple soaker tub if you can fit it.

Bathroom remodel... bathtub or big shower?-photo_9be066e1-4a9d-05d0-fba6-c1ed0e8db515.jpg

Old 03-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Nice..

If we wanted to, we could squeeze in a shower, but I'm of the old school that if you do something, do it right. So to do a shower right, there would be no room for a tub, or the other way around. I've been seeing lots of nice walk in showers with full glass walls, or half walls, but the wife is still mulling over a tub, but she's not convinced either way yet. 'Still waiting to hear from more agents as to what sells in Houston, or Katy for that matter. These are not cheap to install, so I want to make sure I get the most resale value. I guess it is like wallpaper, or wall treatments... the person doing it always thinks it is the greatest, but the next person may not... sort of like people painting full wall murals of Italy in their kitchens, or dining rooms. Usually the next buyer won't like it. At least you can paint a wall, but redoing a bathroom is expensive next to kitchens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: